Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

On 17/12/2021 at 14:00, craigkillie said:

Would be our 5th choice.

image.png.36ca6aba848fc297b7830cc3bc497933.png

**Since Oleksandr Petrakov became Ukraine Head Coach in September 2021.

Mykolenko isn't definitely Ukraine's 1st choice in LWB/LB either. They seem to have pretty good options in that area - similar to Scotland.

Edited by 2426255

I think Ryan Fraser may have mishandled this situation, but I think the underlying motivation in protecting his bread and butter while selfish is understandable. Since Eddie Howe has come in Fraser has played around 50% of available minutes which is a considerable improvement when compared to that under Steve Bruce since the start of this season where he was used in roughly 10% of available minutes. So it is possible that his decision to miss the Scotland games helped him in his Newcastle career.

Additionally, Steve Clarke hasn't exactly shut the door on him either saying it's a conversation for March and that he needs to get himself more regular game time at Newcastle., if he begins to catch the eye for Newcastle then I think he will stand a chance of being recalled in March and I wouldn't hold the November camp against him personally. It's potentially one error in judgement and say he begins to really fire for Newcastle in the next couple of months I'm sure all will be forgiven.

I haven’t spoken to Ryan. Obviously, he wasn’t involved through his own choice in the November games. To be honest I don’t think we missed him, I thought the team was good in both games so Ryan could have his work cut out to be back in the squad - that’s just the nature of the competition for places. It’s not a squad that you want to give up your place in lightly.

It’s a conversation for March. He has to get into his team. He doesn’t play regularly at Newcastle, he is in and out of the team. I wouldn’t like to think the whole year ends up speaking about someone who’s chosen not to be in the squad rather than the boys who have.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish/3787974/steve-clarke-scotland-national-team-2022/

Edited by 2426255

I thought Clarke wouldn't have him back after September 2020 but he came in the following October and did very well. He's actually been much better for turning up over the last year, even turning up for us when he wasn't playing for Newcastle, but he clearly has a reputation among fans and staff (and ex-staff) so doesn't have as much leeway when incidents like last month arise.

31 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I thought Clarke wouldn't have him back after September 2020 but he came in the following October and did very well. He's actually been much better for turning up over the last year, even turning up for us when he wasn't playing for Newcastle, but he clearly has a reputation among fans and staff (and ex-staff) so doesn't have as much leeway when incidents like last month arise.

Fraser isn't an automatic pick and hasn't been since Che Adams came into the team really, but he helped us in the 20/21 Nations league and in the March World Cup Qualifiers in particular. I think the door is not shut and he has to earn his place like many of the other squad hopefuls. The amount of leeway he is afforded will basically vary with how valuable he is to the Scotland team:

He has to prove his value in the face of increasing competition to places. Ultimately he is in a good place to do that in the Premier League with Newcastle Utd and so we will just have to see in March whether his value to Newcastle and therefore Scotland is worth granting him leeway over this incident. Steve Clarke is very honest with what he has said here and I think quite rational.

It could be viewed as a calculated gamble on behalf of Ryan Fraser as if he wasn't playing at Newcastle regularly then his position in the squad would potentially be under threat anyway, so if by missing Scotland's November games it has helped improve his number of minutes in a Newcastle shirt then ultimately it might have been worth doing from Fraser's perspective.

Edited by 2426255

From the November camp to the March camp is four months. Loss of form and unfortunately injuries can have a big effect.

That shows you that the door is always open to someone, the door never closes on international football. What the players have to do is maintain a really high level of performance and keep putting performances that gives me a difficult choice in March. That's what I want. I want to sit down two weeks before the squad announcement and think how am I going to narrow this squad of 30 odd players down to 24. That's their job. My job is to watch them and try and pick the right squad.

Steve Clarke

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/12500941/scotland-head-coach-steve-clarke-discusses-the-euros-world-cup-hopes-and-his-2021-highlights

I wonder if the squad size for the playoffs is limited to 24 or if that is a personal choice from Steve Clarke or maybe he means he'll need to cut it down to around 24 or 25.  

On 26/12/2021 at 00:19, Tartan Dave said:

Ryan Fraser makes the squad much better. Off the bench his pace could really change games 

I agree with this, but think the way he left the squad, Clarke needs to make him sweat a bit. Would be good to see Gauld given his chance now and then either that’s a new option for that area or revert back to Fraser.

• 2 weeks later...

The other visible tactic that Malinovskyi has engaged in this season is making delayed runs in central overloads.

https://pythagorasinboots.com/ruslan-malinovskyi-tactical-analysis-scouting-report/

I liked this article on Ukraine's Ruslan Malinovskyi who is having a good season with Atalanta and I agreed with what was written based on what I have watched of the player myself.

One of the main concerns for Scotland is how he likes to wait in the central area just outside the box where he finds positions to shoot or to play in teammates in combination with how many games this has caused problems for Scotland in 2021, think Austria (H), Israel (A), Croatia (H), Denmark (A).

Example:

I took this from a recent friendly between Ukraine and Bulgaria. Malinovskyi (No.8) takes up a position outside of the box to play in a striker and take a shot. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

https://pythagorasinboots.com/ruslan-malinovskyi-tactical-analysis-scouting-report/

I liked this article on Ukraine's Ruslan Malinovskyi who is having a good season with Atalanta and I agreed with what was written based on what I have watched of the player myself.

One of the main concerns for Scotland is how he likes to wait in the central area just outside the box where he finds positions to shoot or to play in teammates in combination with how many games this has caused problems for Scotland in 2021, think Austria (H), Israel (A), Croatia (H), Denmark (A).

Example:

I took this from a recent friendly between Ukraine and Bulgaria. Malinovskyi (No.8) takes up a position outside of the box to play in a striker and take a shot. 

It's pretty schoolboy defending overall, but what I especially can't get my head around is how the Bulgarian nearest the referee has ended up in the position he has at the beginning of the clip; why is his body facing towards the nearside touchline?

Not normally a fan of not picking a player in a cutting off your nose to spite your face type situation (he's a good enough player clearly) but I must admit Fraser's seeming view that he can pick and chose when to rock up and when to give it a miss irks me.

I'm a fickle b*****d and I'll nae moan if he scores the winner against Ukraine but if its actually possible I may enjoy seeing us qualify just a tiny, tiny bit more if it's without him I think.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Get Fraser to f**k. He's had like two ok games for us and in our formation he doesn't fit in.

He was utter gubbins anytime I've seen him play wing back and as a deep playing striker? Nah.

thankfully it's not up to you. Wouldn't mind Fraser in the squad purely to watch the waterworks display on here. 

Edited by 2426255