Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

There is no doubt that Ukraine should be better than us (they have almost 9x our population!) but similar to Russia and Turkey they really struggle by having quite a strong domestic league. If their best players can earn a great wage and prestige staying home then there is little incentive for them to go abroad and really challenge themselves.

Scotland suffers from this to a lesser extent, players like Callum McGregor would be a regular in a (mediocre) team in any of the top 5 leagues. However, he gets to stay in his home city (Glasgow is a great place to live too) whilst still earning good money and not having to push himself too hard. You can hardly blame him.

This even affected England for a long time but it's having less of an effect now as their players venture outside.

I'd put us as favourites given it's a home time. Ukraine aren't great and snuck ahead of Finland (I would much rather be playing Finland certianly).

Austria is the harder game, agreed on that, but we do seem to have their number.

Denmark are better than both and we beat them convincingly at home. Plenty of reasons to be optimistic. I'm also very glad we got to the play off as we throw away the nations league route in the post Euros playoff euphoria. 

For comparison, Scotland playing a nation with 1/9 of our population would be (closest projection) Luxumbourg, Montenegro, or the Western Sahara. I'd be backing us, just avoid the Montenegran heat.

Hi folks, hope you don’t mind! But me and my pals have come up with what we think would be a great addition to the Tartan Army repertoire. Posting it here so folks (if they like it) can share it with their local TA’s or even just amongst their own groups of mates who go. Inspired by the various ‘Allez Allez Allez’ songs that clubs have and that our own team (Raith Rovers) do a cracking version related to John Mcglynn. Anyway, hope you like it and we can get it going!

We follow Bonnie Scotland

We come from near and far

We are the Tartan Army

Our Home is Hampden Park 

We’ll drink your beer and whisky

You’ll find us in the pub

We are the Tartan Army 

We’re gonay win the World Cup 

Allez Allez Allez 

Repeat!

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL

25 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Hi folks, hope you don’t mind! But me and my pals have come up with what we think would be a great addition to the Tartan Army repertoire. Posting it here so folks (if they like it) can share it with their local TA’s or even just amongst their own groups of mates who go. Inspired by the various ‘Allez Allez Allez’ songs that clubs have and that our own team (Raith Rovers) do a cracking version related to John Mcglynn. Anyway, hope you like it and we can get it going!

We are the Tartan Army

Our Home is Hampden Park 

We’ll drink your beer and whiskey

We are the Tartan Army 

Allez Allez Allez 

Repeat!

That's pretty rubbish...and terrible spelling of whisky. 

2 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Fair enough mate 🤣

It's not rubbish at all. The more songs to add to our catalogue the better. If it catches on, you know it's not bad. I'd switch "beer" to "Irn-Bru" though. Maybe change the last line to something funnier/self-deprecating. That is the Scottish way. 

I always think Celtic park has the best atmosphere because they have a whole library of songs to choose from. I'd love it if Scotland had more. 

The head coach of the national team of Ukraine Oleksandr Petrakov drew attention to Mykhailo Mudryk. The Shakhtar player has been added to the expanded list.

He is on the extended list of the national team, there are 36 people. We need to prepare visas in advance to Scotland. Let's see what Mykhailo will show, there is still time. We talked well with him.

Ukraine Head Coach Oleksandr Petrakov

https://sport.24tv.ua/petrakov-vklyuchiv-talanta-shahtarya-rozshireniy-spisok-zbirnoyi_n1813349

On 04/12/2021 at 12:06, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

We are the Tartan Army

Our Home is Hampden Park 

We are the Tartan Army 

Allez Allez Allez 

Repeat!

we've got Billy Gilmooour,

and keiren Tierney tooo,

Robbo is our captain,

He leads the boys in bluuuue.

From Hampden to Australia,

We'll travel near and faaaar,

With Steve Clarke as the gaffer,

We're going to QATAR!!!

Allez Allez Allez

Been a long day in the office. Ill get my coat.... haha

On 04/12/2021 at 12:06, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

We are the Tartan Army

Our Home is Hampden Park 

We are the Tartan Army 

Allez Allez Allez 

Repeat!

Apt that you have Charlie Nic as your avatar. 

Benfica v Dynamo Kyiv last night was interesting for anyone wanting keeping an eye on the players of the Ukraine National Team. It had 12 Ukraine NT players playing including first team regulars: Bushchan, Mykolenko, Zabarnyi, Tymchyk, Shaparenko, Tsigankov (Kyiv) and Yaremchuk (Benfica).

Dynamo played quite well even though they lost, but have ultimately bombed the group along with Shakhtar which leaves me wondering who their peers are in Europe. Rangers or Celtic? perhaps, I still think they're a bit better than our best two teams but probably not by much.

Yes, I was joyful when the draw was made, but that was a natural reaction because we weren't drawn against Italy or Portugal. We weren't seeded. We could have had a horrible draw, so of course I was happy that we got Scotland. We avoided the really big teams. That's all. It wasn't a slight on Scotland. I apologise if people thought I looked too happy!

My work on Scotland has already started. I have already watched three of their matches and I want to watch 12 of their games. I have already analysed them and I can tell you they are a very good team with a great manager. Scotland are very competent tactically and they take their chances. As a coach myself, I like this team a lot.

Petrakov

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ukraine-boss-issues-grovelling-scotland-25644467

How will we play Scotland? Frankly, I have not yet decided. I'm looking and I haven't made any decision. First of all, everything will depend on the health of our footballers. I will start from there directly.

Now I've watched the game, it's a serious opponent. They have won the last six matches. Great coach, Steve Clark. I also look at him, study. Let's see, it will be interesting to play with him. He mostly plays 3-5-2, there is a little change in the triangle in the center, sometimes 3-4-3. He does not change his schemes. How I will play, I have not decided yet. I have time to think.

Petrakov

https://sportarena.com/uk/footboll/chempionat-svitu-2022/petrakov-yak-gratimemo-z-shotlandiyeyu-skazhu/

A lot of good coaches, but I like Gasperini's work. The UAF said it would help with a visit to Atalanta. If Gasperini succeeds in January-February, I will go to him for a few days to Ruslan Malinovsky. I'm interested in just talking, this is a new level. I want to communicate with such people.

I'm still interested in England, I would like to talk to Marcelo Bielsa from Leeds and Josep Guardiola in Manchester City. Let's see if we can agree. It's interesting to just talk, to see the trends of modern football.

Petrakov

https://sport.ua/news/565464-gasperini-i-gvardiola-petrakov-hochet-zaehat-v-atalantu-i-manchester-siti

As an aside on Ukraine, I found it interesting to hear the Ukraine NT coach discuss visiting Gasperini, Bielsa et al in order to see the trends in modern football because I have heard from two separate second hand accounts about a traditional leaning towards soviet style counter-attacking teams and how it doesn't help the likes of Dynamo Kyiv in Europe. Perhaps this would lead to a move away from that.

Petrakov supposedly won the u-20 World Cup in 2019 using a counter attacking style so it would be something of a change for him too.  

Edited by 2426255

47 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don't really think he had anything to apologise for. it was pretty obvious the celebration was for avoiding portugal/italy rather than any disrespect to us. I was certainly cheering avoiding those 2 aswell in our section.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Biggest non story ever. Both camps would have been delighted with the draw and rightly so. 

Petrakov has rescued the campaign but scoring goals is a major issue. Ukraine will shitfest it as much as possible so it’s up to Scotland to break them down. It’s a golden opportunity for Scotland and fwiw, I think they’ll do it. 

That's the Ukrainian Premier League on their winter break until 26th of February. Around 70% of the national team is drawn from within Ukraine, although a couple of those players are expected to move abroad during the January transfer window. You could argue either way as to whether it's an advantage, a disadvantage or irrelevant going into the playoff game on March 24th.

I heard talk that Ukraine might look to play a friendly match against a team in a different World Cup playoff path during this period. Not sure how true that is but it would look something like what Sweden have done in arranging a friendly against Finland in the Algarve for 9th of January '22 including only home based players.

https://www.svenskfotboll.se/nyheter/landslag/2021/11/januarijanne/

Edited by 2426255

On 14/12/2021 at 12:49, 2426255 said:

a couple of those players are expected to move abroad during the January transfer window.

Everton poised to sign Ukraine left-back Vitaliy Mykolenko for £17.9m

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/17/everton-poised-to-sign-ukraine-left-back-vitaliy-mykolenko-dynamo-kyiv