Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, I thought they were mostly poor in the Euros, and helped by having the second worst side in the tournament in their group to get through. Them against England was one of the worst showings at a major tournament that I can recall.

They’re obviously not a bad team though, with a couple of very good players. 

Yep, I think Southgate could’ve played a bunch of uncapped English players and they still would’ve beaten them. I agree, it was a disgusting performance, how they got that far is fucking mental.

Delighted with the draw. I don't think there's many that think Ukraine will be pushovers but it'll be at a packed Hampden and if we avoid injury call offs I genuinely rate our squad of players to be better than either them or Wales. No sense in worrying about the Wales game until Ukraine is out the way, although am sure Stevie Clarke will be. 

It can all go tits up early of course like the Czech game at Hampden but am sure ,as the Manager says we'll have learned from that. 

29 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I actually think Austria are the team being most underrated.  They were well understrength against us in Vienna and if the likes of Sabitzer, Kaladzjic and Baumgartlinger are back it's a big jump in quality.  Wales are missing a couple for that game as well

Very much this. Also thought after getting ridden 4 0 by Denmark they were a bit undercooked due to them having already qualified for the play offs through the NL. Hoping for Wales to beat them

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

Anyway, no need to reinvent the wheel for these games. Standard 3-4-1-2. If everyone is fit it’ll be:

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

We haven't started a home game with 3-4-1-2 since 2020.  

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

We played that against Moldova.

Naw we didnae 

I’ve looked at Moldova a lot in between camps. They’re a well-organised team who will be hard to beat on their own patch. In our game at Hampden I played one sitting midfielder (Gilmour) with John McGinn and Ryan Christie pushing on behind the strikers. It worked to a point, but we didn’t get the goal return we were looking for so I will maybe have a little tweak our formation over there.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andy-robertson-liverpool-scotland-comparison-25394867  

Edited by 2426255

22 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I actually think Austria are the team being most underrated.  They were well understrength against us in Vienna and if the likes of Sabitzer, Kaladzjic and Baumgartlinger are back it's a big jump in quality.  Wales are missing a couple for that game as well

Exactly my thoughts. I have got a horrible hunch that Austria are going to qualify from this pathway. The bookies tentatively agree (last I checked they were joint faves to do so). Finishing 4th in a European qualifying section and still qualifying for the WC would surely be a first, not to say a miscarriage of justice, particularly if they eliminate us. How much of a scunner would that be? I remember Austria taking Italy to the brink at the Euros. They could easily have won that match. I think they’ll beat Wales, I really do. Many on here are already talking about a showdown in Cardiff. If I wasn’t Scottish I’d be backing an Austria v Ukraine final. Hope I’m wrong but the football pessimist in me keeps reeling in my expectations.

19 hours ago, accies1874 said:

19 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:
19 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Great game, I somehow forgot to order my ticket and ended up getting one in the very back row of the East Stand. Was still incredible

My last Scotland game. Was a great performance and result. I got a seat on a single rline of seats that ran down on the left of the South Stand where the vehicle tunnel separated the away section.

I noticed Shevchenko took up the head coach role at Bologna recently. No idea if he is still involved with his national team or if the backroom staff changed as well. 

definitely a winnable game but if we don't play like recent games the  Ukrainians will turn is over. Anyway it seems setup for another game in Cardiff in my mind and that could go anyway. I assume the Welsh would stick with Cardiff City stadium rather than switch to the Millennium stadium?

Mon Scotland!

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We played that against Moldova.

9 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

In 2021 alone we've played it multiple times

Dykes paired Adams against the Faroes, Israel and Moldova at home, also in Austria, in the Euros against both England and Croatia and in the pre-Euros friendly against Luxembourg.

3-4-1-2 is our preferred formation. We only really see 3-4-2-1 when either Adams or Dykes are not available.

8 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:

My last Scotland game. Was a great performance and result. I got a seat on a single rline of seats that ran down on the left of the South Stand where the vehicle tunnel separated the away section.

I noticed Shevchenko took up the head coach role at Bologna recently. No idea if he is still involved with his national team or if the backroom staff changed as well. 

definitely a winnable game but if we don't play like recent games the  Ukrainians will turn is over. Anyway it seems setup for another game in Cardiff in my mind and that could go anyway. I assume the Welsh would stick with Cardiff City stadium rather than switch to the Millennium stadium?

Mon Scotland!

What a game. Faddy's goal for 3 1 was sublime. Wales have intimated if they get to the final will stick with Cardiff's ground.

On 27/11/2021 at 12:25, Donathan said:

In 2021 alone we've played it multiple times

Dykes paired Adams against the Faroes, Israel and Moldova at home, also in Austria, in the Euros against both England and Croatia and in the pre-Euros friendly against Luxembourg.

3-4-1-2 is our preferred formation. We only really see 3-4-2-1 when either Adams or Dykes are not available.

Just have to agree to disagree then mate. In my view our preferred home formation is 3-5-2 and we've started with 3-4-2-1 at home to Austria and Denmark. This is how we have played in the majority of our home games in 2021 - give or take players.

Maybe with the loss of Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean, two key midfield players in the way that we played previously maybe I’ll just have to tweak the shape of the midfield or the way we play from midfield.

We obviously had a certain way of playing recently and like I said before I think losing Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean from the midfield positions will possibly mean that I have to change it a little bit, but that’s something I’m looking forward to doing.

Steve Clarke

https://news.stv.tv/sport/live-steve-clarke-names-scotland-squad-for-euro-2020?noq

Great coach, Steve Clark. I also look at him, study. Let's see, it will be interesting to play with him. He mostly plays 3-5-2, there is a little change in the triangle in the center, sometimes 3-4-3.

Petrakov

https://sportarena.com/uk/footboll/chempionat-svitu-2022/petrakov-yak-gratimemo-z-shotlandiyeyu-skazhu/

Anyway, it's off topic so lets just leave it there.

Edited by 2426255

Watch from 40.21 to 40.33...

Now watch.. (0.44-0.55)

Im sorry for the rubbish formatting lol. 

I think our team now is better than our great team of 07. and provided one of a few examples of why!:)

I watched them v austria at the euros and theres not a lot to fear if we are up for it imo...

Edited by greenockraver

I'm not going to be able to sleep for thinking about that second clip. Physically arousing stuff.

That Denmark game was the kind of thing they'll be showing to their grandchildren someday.

I was at the Sweden v Ukraine game in the summer. For all that there was only 2 goals in normal time, it was quite a decent game. Both teams had a few chances they should have taken and both keepers had some good saves. 

Yarmolenko was a handful, always bullies defenders around. Zinchenko had a good game too, though that may have been caused by me saying he had been pish minutes before he scored!

Overall didnt see anything that gives me huge cause for concern. I think beating Denmark was a harder prospect than beating Ukraine. 

On 27/11/2021 at 10:16, doulikefish said:

Setting ourselves up nicely for the big fall.....can people not just get back to saying we are shite etc the hype is going to be mental 

We are going to be devastatingly gutted if we don’t qualify whether we think positively or negatively about this game. Might as well enjoy what we can, it won’t make a difference in the end.

17 hours ago, whoami1489 said:

Have read ukrainian sites what they think about us. Hmm, they are happy with the draw, underestimate us very much

That doesn't bother me at all. The non seeded teams have to play away from home so they could have had Italy, Portugal, Sweden, Russia (not in Ukraine's case though), Wales or Scotland. Every single non seeded team in there would have preferred Scotland or Wales just like we would have wanted north Macedonia.

I don't think this  automatically means they are underestimating us it simply gives them (in their view) a more winnable tie than Italy or Portugal away.