Alloa Athletic v Bonnyrigg Rose

Waspie

Interesting cup tie in prospect tomorrow. I don't know if we've ever played a friendly with Bonnyrigg but certainly the first competitive clash between the clubs.

From an Alloa point of view this looks rather ominous. The team are underperforming under Barry Ferguson and particularly in games when they have been expected to win. It doesn't look like a particularly united camp and that's certainly the case off the field with a fair amount of frustration amongst the fans about Ferguson and also the pricing for this match. I would expect a pretty poor home support here, and with Bonnyrigg fans likely to travel despite the pricing with this being a big game for them, perhaps they might even have an edge there. 

Bonnyrigg obviously a decent side too. We should be winning, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we lost or ended up going to a replay. 

I hope it is a poor attendance

maybe make the COB think again about the price

and work out a more economic price level for ALL concerned 

Not just the most money the club can extract from the fans 

after all the money spent isn't working as well as it should apparently

will be watching for the score from afar , wont be surprised if we draw or lose .

2 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

I hope it is a poor attendance

maybe make the COB think again about the price

and work out a more economic price level for ALL concerned 

Not just the most money the club can extract from the fans 

after all the money spent isn't working as well as it should apparently

will be watching for the score from afar , wont be surprised if we draw or lose .

It never does. We've had some stinking attendances in the cups over the past decade, even against the Binos.

They'll say that the reduced attendance is covered by the higher price paid by the people who did go. If 400 folk pay £18, you'd need 720 to show up at a tenner each for the same take, and so on. If you've ever seen Mike Mulraney's twitter feed, you'll see where this line of thinking comes from.

Problem is, the club's not an essential service, and you run the risk of people being priced out and not coming back.

Agree , but even £16 would be something 

probably explains why we have a small fan base

you would think that MM would understand

speculate to accumulate  

even a bonus entry fee for season ticket holders 

to those paying the £18 you are supporting the club but also supporting 

a price that disqualifies a lot of people and goes against general opinion

the live stream at our games at £18 is a joke ,i can afford to go alright but 

on principal nah !  forget it , i remember when i didn't have two pennies to rub together

all too well

Community club ?   

I dunno, I've worked for folk with the kind of attitude where, if you told them they could make ten grand by spending a hundred, all they'd be able to talk about would be the hundred. Not saying Mulraney's like that, but there are definitely well-off people whose decisions are based on not losing what they already have.

They seem to have decided on a principle that the game is worth £18 regardless, and they don't want to undermine its value. Until our attendances drop, it'll remain that way. Then they'll probably increase them to make up the difference  :P

Incidentally, anyone know when our agreement with Dildodrill is finished? Seem to remember it was a seven-year sponsorship for a six-figure sum. Bound to be getting close to the end now.

Edit: never mind, just noticed it's for ten years, so it'll be 2024 when the ground's name will be up for grabs again. Nothing can be worse than Tony Macaroni, I suppose.

Edited by BFTD

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

I dunno, I've worked for folk with the kind of attitude where, if you told them they could make ten grand by spending a hundred, all they'd be able to talk about would be the hundred. Not saying Mulraney's like that, but there are definitely well-off people whose decisions are based on not losing what they already have.

They seem to have decided on a principle that the game is worth £18 regardless, and they don't want to undermine its value. Until our attendances drop, it'll remain that way. Then they'll probably increase them to make up the difference  :P

Incidentally, anyone know when our agreement with Dildodrill is finished? Seem to remember it was a seven-year sponsorship for a six-figure sum. Bound to be getting close to the end now.

Edit: never mind, just noticed it's for ten years, so it'll be 2024 when the ground's name will be up for grabs again. Nothing can be worse than Tony Macaroni, I suppose.

Fleecing the Bonnyrigg fans on their big day out, possibly?

It is a shame that clubs charge so much, but then money talks in football.

14 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Fleecing the Bonnyrigg fans on their big day out, possibly?

It is a shame that clubs charge so much, but then money talks in football.

It does rather make you wish you'd been alive for the days when thousands would show up and pay an affordable fee to get in. Could do without the rivers of pish, mind.

Having said that, I just stuck the cover price of an England v Scotland charity match into an inflation calculator and it worked out to about £15 in today's money, so...maybe not as much difference as I thought.

1 minute ago, Vegetableman said:

Your radio 103 FM stadium 

please nothing like that but money talks

maybe when our deal is over 

the Scottish conservative party stadium would be very apt 

for mike .

A wee economics column from Mike in the programme could be good for a laugh. He seems to like explaining why it's good to give successful businessmen unfettered access to the purse strings.

I didn't realise he'd finished with Twitter - been a few years, but it was an interesting insight into the way he thinks.

28 minutes ago, BFTD said:

We've done well today considering some of the scorelines for SPFL clubs elsewhere  :shutup

Think it helped playing against a team of pretty useless, overweight jobbers. Expected a lot more from them. 

Bar the chance in the opening seconds, and Mendy up to his usual in the second, Hutton could have taken the afternoon off. 

Can’t understand the logic of not using subs when it went 3-0, perfect opportunity to get the likes of O’Donnell on for Boyd, who had a bit of a shocker today. 

Club need to take note of the home end, was an embarrassing turnout from our point of view today. 

20 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Pretty poor from Alloa if the tweets are accurate.

I can tell you that I was last in the ground and everyone cleared off well before Barry had came out for a quick presser. But there was still one other journalist about.

Some of these folk who get in free are right arseholes, and that's just me.