Banks O' Dee v East Fife SC 3rd Round

resk

Well Banks O'Dee thoroughly deserved the win from that game, pretty much bossing it after the opening half hour. East Fife simply fell apart in the second half and a neutral who didn't know much about either side, would be hard pressed to identify the non-league team.

East Fife took the lead after about twelve minutes, a long speculative shot going pretty much straight through the home goalkeeper and into the roof of the net. At that stage an upset looked a remote prospect, really. East Fife looked really comfortable in the first quarter, stroked the ball about nicely, and Banks O'Dee looked as though they might be outclassed.

Far from it however. They got on terms just before the half hour when a left wing free-kick was very poorly defended, and headed home for the equaliser from the six yard line. East Fife looked ever more toothless after that.

Banks O'Dee were by far the better team after the break, mystifyingly aided by interim manager Frail withdrawing East Fife's only striker around the hour mark. East Fife had simply nothing going forward and increasingly found themsleves bullied off the ball in the middle of the park.

Credit also has to go to a group of around 7-10 young guys in their early twenties who engaged in a sustained wind up of the East Fife bench and players (Spain Park has come on a lot since I was last there and the fans are right on top of the dugouts in the new-ish covered terracing- this was all just mud and waste ground last time I was here). They had it in for Fifers right back Dunsmore for reasons I don't understand- but the young boys will claim an "assist" after the hapless Fifer was red-carded for a rash challenge on a home attacker with about twenty minutes to go. I haven't seen such effective professional trolling since the heyday of the Akabusi Loyal. By the end of the match East Fife's physio had delivered at least three death stares and a stand up row had developed with the Fifers' match commentator, who bravely stood his ground nearby.

The home team took the lead after a messy struggle in the box from a corner (I think) with about ten minutes or so to go and East Fife looked burst after that. They just couldn't match the junior team's desire, work rate and will to win. That in itself has probably sunk any hopes Stevie Frail had of getting the job on a permanent basis. The player who blocked the gap left by Dunsmore was also red carded late on as the away team suffered a collective "heads gone".

I was quite impressed by Banks O'Dee- particularly the wee no. 10 who was a real handful in the game. There's no doubt they would add some to the Highland League even if it seems unlikely they could progress further than that.

As for East Fife...ooft. What a shambles. A big appointment is coming up for them (Frail is very clearly not the answer here) and they really need a few new signings in Janaury if they are to have any hope of avoiding the drop. Bullied off the park by a junior team certainly tells a story, and not a happy one. A shame for what was a very healthy travelling support.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

Went along today as a relative neutral with my game postponed in north region today.
Banks of Dee beat us bog standard junior teams quite comfortably up here (and would probably be top2/3 in highland league) but I wasn’t sure they would have enough to compete with a league one team. That was until the match started.
I was absolutely staggered at how bad East Fife were. Absolutely dreadful. How they have won a single match in league one is scary. It wasn’t a fluke or really a result of the referee decisions. Just two pretty evenly matched teams and Dee got the better of them today. 
The older centre back (Higgins) I think was astonishingly slow and forced East Fife into playing so deep and no one in and around the very non-physical striker. Looked totally aimless.
Hope Dee get a Premiership team next round. Would guess they’d try switch it to pittodrie if they do get a big team to milk all the cash they can?

Well Banks O'Dee thoroughly deserved the win from that game, pretty much bossing it after the opening half hour. East Fife simply fell apart in the second half and a neutral who didn't know much about either side, would be hard pressed to identify the non-league team.
East Fife took the lead after about twelve minutes, a long speculative shot going pretty much straight through the home goalkeeper and into the roof of the net. At that stage an upset looked a remote prospect, really. East Fife looked really comfortable in the first quarter, stroked the ball about nicely, and Banks O'Dee looked as though they might be outclassed.
Far from it however. They got on terms just before the half hour when a left wing corner was very poorly defended, and headed home for the equaliser from the six yard line. East Fife looked ever more toothless after that.
Banks O'Dee were by far the better team after the break, mystifyingly aided by interim manager Frail withdrawing East Fife's only striker around the hour mark. East Fife had simply nothing going forward and increasingly found themsleves bullied off the ball in the middle of the park.
Credit also has to go to a group of around 7-10 young guys in their early twenties who engaged in a sustained wind up of the East Fife bench and players (Spain Park has come on a lot since I was last there and the fans are right on top of the dugouts in the new-ish covered terracing- this was all just mud and waste ground last time I was here). They had it in for Fifers right back Dunsmore for reasons I don't understand- but the young boys will claim an "assist" after the hapless Fifer was red-carded for a rash challenge on a home attacker with about twenty minutes to go. I haven't seen such effective professional trolling since the heyday of the Akabusi Loyal. By the end of the match East Fife's physio had delivered at least three death stares and a stand up row had developed with the Fifers' match commentator, who bravely stood his ground nearby.
The home team took the lead after a messy struggle in the box from a corner (I think) with about ten minutes or so to go and East Fife looked burst after that. They just couldn't match the junior team's desire, work rate and will to win. That in itself has probably sunk any hopes Stevie Frail had of getting the job on a permanent basis. The player who blocked the gap left by Dunsmore was also red carded late on as the away team suffered a collective "heads gone".
I was quite impressed by Banks O'Dee- particularly the wee no. 10 who was a real handful in the game. There's no doubt they would add some to the Highland League even if it seems unlikely they could progress further than that.
As for East Fife...ooft. What a shambles. A big appointment is coming up for them (Frail is very clearly not the answer here) and they really need a few new signings in Janaury if they are to have any hope of avoiding the drop. Bullied off the park by a junior team certainly tells a story, and not a happy one. A shame for what was a very healthy travelling support.

Shocked to read that we conceded from a corner, for what must be about the 300th time this season.

Can only echo what people have said on here, the team are utter shite and the new manager has a huge job on their hands pretty much preparing a squad for a League 2 challenge next season.

It has been a disaster of a season before we even kicked a ball and this result just shows what an absolute shambles we have become.

Crowd of 328 apparently, would guess around 100-odd away supporters and a big helping of neutrals smart enough to know this wouldn't be (quite) as cold as the Balmoral. Decided to head over and like others have said, really surprised by how poor EF were. Gifted a 1-0 lead by the BOD keeper, and still couldn't find a way to close it out.  Good managerial appointment needed before they get cut adrift of Clyde/PH, or it's cheerio League 1. BOD look tidy, some fine players, though nothing insurmountable for a more confident and composed side up the leagues. I certainly wouldn't fear drawing them if we got past Kelty next Saturday.

Edited by Scorge

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

An absolute minter for EF.

Didn’t realise Darren Young had been sacked until I heard Jeff Stelling mention it on Soccer Saturday.

Darren Young should have jumped ship when he was flavour of the month and everyone was sniffing around for him a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

East Fife took the lead after about twelve minutes, a long speculative shot going pretty much straight through the home goalkeeper and into the roof of the net.

That's not at all what happened btw. The goalkeeper made an arse of a clearance, straight to the EF player, who controlled it then dispatched it into the empty net. It even bounced 😂

EF looked terrible at the back all game, and it came as no surprise that they conceeded twice from set pieces. The big number 9 absolutely bullied the centre halves all day and they didn't seem to have any idea what to do with him until he went off.

For the first 20 minutes EF looked in total control but absolutely fell apart after conceeding the equaliser.

7 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Just being pedantic, but they're "(The) Dee", not "Banks". Like calling Ross County, "Ross", sounds wrong!

Wikipedia agrees with you, and also offers an alternative nickname of "The Rechabites", which is not a word I've ever encountered on my four decades on the planet!  

31 minutes ago, resk said:

"The Rechabites", which is not a word I've ever encountered on my four decades on the planet!  

The origin of the nickname is likely from the Independent Order of Rechabites a fraternal & friendly society associated with the temperance movement that's still around in the UK under the name Healthy Investment.

The IOR itself is named after the Rechabite biblical clan.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

absolutely fell apart after conceeding the equaliser.

3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The home team took the lead after a messy struggle in the box from a corner

How to say you were at the East Fife game without saying you were at the East Fife game.

What a shambles we are.

Doesn’t even look like a foul, let alone a red card for Dunsmore. Ref shat it IMO, saw a strong challenge and automatically goes for the red card.

Regardless, quality result for BoD.

19 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

The origin of the nickname is likely from the Independent Order of Rechabites a fraternal & friendly society associated with the temperance movement that's still around in the UK under the name Healthy Investment.

The IOR itself is named after the Rechabite biblical clan.

Banks were originally formed as a temperance club- I did an article for the Edinburgh City v Banks o Dee Scottish Cup programme two seasons ago.

There was a similar Junior club in Inverness called "Catch-my-pal" which was named after a Northern Irish temperance movement.

On 27/11/2021 at 20:37, Todd_is_God said:

That's not at all what happened btw. The goalkeeper made an arse of a clearance, straight to the EF player, who controlled it then dispatched it into the empty net. It even bounced 😂

EF looked terrible at the back all game, and it came as no surprise that they conceeded twice from set pieces. The big number 9 absolutely bullied the centre halves all day and they didn't seem to have any idea what to do with him until he went off.

For the first 20 minutes EF looked in total control but absolutely fell apart after conceeding the equaliser.

Quite right- in my defence I was looking down at my phone at the time, only to look up to see the Dee keeper looking biscuit-ersed as the ball sailed over his head and into the net. The home dugout werenm't best pleased.

Seen it clearly now on the highlights. In the end of course East Fife mystifyingly couldn't build on that. The home team were so much more motivated after the break.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman