Cup holders v cup hopefuls - Saints V Hibs 27/11/21

31 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

What a waste of 2 hours of my life. Thank f**k the storm made it near on impossible to go in person and it wasn’t more than 2 hours. We were pish before the red card but snuck a goal anyway thanks to Porteus, again (probably the last one we’ll score until 2022), and then Bryson having a brain fart ended any faint hopes we might actually play some football in the second half. Defended well until we didn’t, pretty inevitable Hibs double salvo.. fire Cammy McPherson into the sea btw.

Pretty uninspired by this team now. I think we actually played some good stuff at times last season without scoring enough goals but haven’t at all this season, starting to think the difference is almost entirely down to no Ali McCann (who was best player on the park v Fulham earlier today btw). Something has to give because I can’t imagine many fans have much enthusiasm at all for games at the minute.

I didn’t think Hibs looked very good and can see why they haven’t been picking up results recently, but they clearly have a lot of quality in the squad. Being able to bring Scott Allan, Murphy and even James Scott off the bench made the difference. We had Cammy McPherson. Not a great deal we can do about that given the vast gulf in team budgets but more concerned about yet another ambition-less, insipid performance in the first half with 11 men where it looked like no one in the team could control or pass a football.

I watched Ali today as well and came to the same conclusion.His importance to the team was HUGE

I watched Ali today as well and came to the same conclusion.His importance to the team was HUGE

Sky commentators were raving about him too. Genuinely one of our bright spots this season is the fact we will probably make a wedge from the sell on as he’s doing so well.

Didn’t enjoy that. Honestly, I thought Bryson won the ball at the time so spent the rest of the game raging about the referee’s performance (which was absolutely f*cking sh*te even without the red card). Sounds like it was a red so fair enough, moving on…

Why is it when Saints go down to ten men the whole team collectively loses the ability to pass the ball? Is Callum telling them all to just clear their lines and hope for the best?

Raging. 

It's becoming harder and harder to come through from Edinburgh every other Saturday to be presented with that sort of football as a form of entertainment.

Hibs – a side that had been cuffed six league games on the trot and were missing two key players – were clearly miles better from the start, and should have been a couple of goals to the good by half-time. Our goal was as good as a fluke. Could have been any number by the end of the game. A total gulf in class and in football.

We show no ambition, week after week. Last Saturday was embarrassing. This weekend worse. Our midfield is dreadful and perhaps most worrying of all is that Callum Davidson rates Ali Crawford and McPherson. Hold me back, Chris Kane will return in midweek, so more earnest effort with his back to the goal. More falling over, hoping for a set piece. It's awful.

If I hadn't seen us play Dundee there would be no doubt we're the worst team in the Premiership. But there can be absolutely argument we're the most negative, most boring side in the top league. 

Thought that we defended really well today, outside of McPherson buying an obvious (but still well executed) bit of skill from Allen. 

As soon as Bryson went off it changed the game, not just because we went to 10 men but also bringing McPherson on, who seemed to just half run about in the middle never really getting close to anyone to do anything, get on the ball or really be a productive member of the team.

Haven’t seen the sending off again but it looked soft, however the first booking was on porteous who jumped up rolled about then ran to the ref (who was rotten) to make sure he booked Bryson.

Bright spots today outside of defending for Saints - new boy viv looks like he is the best of both worlds for what we need in a forward (if he can finish as well it would be a huge plus). Thought Crawford was good when he was on the ball, and thought MOH at least showed a bit of hunger and a willingness to close more.

As for Eetu, he is not a lone forward, from today that is clear. His first instinct on everyone occasion is to turn even if there is 3 guys behind him. The couple of times he got to run he looked ok, however, also noticed when he lost the ball instead of pressing he looked for others to do it.

I'm not even going to bother listening to that interview tbh, as I've already seen a headline about it. 

Apart from the win over an absymal Dundee side, I think we've seen 1 goal from open play this season at home in the league (MOH v Rangers from a long punt). Fairly sure you've to go back to March for the last one before that in the league.

The only thing that "costs us games" is this constant reliance on our defence being absolutely flawless in the 2nd half as when the games in the balance we've generally completely sat off sides by, at best, the 60 minute mark and just invited endless swarms of attacks.

We don't have the players to play how Davidson wants to play so he has to change it. We genuinely played without a striker for about 15 minutes in the first half as he made MOH/E2 go defend wide and had Crawford sitting central on Newell. 0-0 at home in the first half and we're doing that.

7 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

For me one a continuing frustration is the manager's passivity, shown by his approach to substitutions. Barring injury or sending off, he won't make a change until we lose a goal. It's really an illustration of how Davidson doesn't want to go out and actively push for result or change a shape - just doesn't want to lose it.

Missed but watched on alba.

Bryson first booking is as silly as they are come and just looked like a bit of unnecessary nastiness. Second is the opposite - just a reach to get the ball. Newell makes a deal with no real contact and the Hibs players around aren't shy about the red but he's put himself in that place and can't really argue.

Think Crawford should go off at halftime too - I've no idea what's he's there to bring after that. McPherson wasn't great again but at least he competes - much rather seen Devine or Craig on also at half time.

Real danger the disappointment of a good defensive performance overshadows the fact we were really poor again with the ball when it was 11vs11. I've no idea what fixes it. Wotherspoon missing feels absolutely massive. Need to take the pressure off that back line who are carrying this side at the moment. It's a worry we have 8 games until the window.

Only very minor bright spark was Solomon's cameo. Looked decent - can understand why he's only signed for a few weeks.