Stenhousemuir v Diamonds

diamondman

A return to Ochilview on Saturday. A pleasant ground due to amenities (pubs and nosh). Mixed record there.

We have been doing relatively well; but for last week's disappointing performance. 

Couple of former Diamond in the Stenny squad, so they will likely have the games of their lives.

Airdrie win , for me.

Looking forward to it, a good opportunity to bounce back after Saturday and get back to winning ways ahead of two big league fixtures. 

Be interesting to see what if any changes we make to try and get minutes in the legs of guys like Gabby McGill, maybe even Luke Lyons if fit enough. 

Regardless, a decent wee day out, be nice to see Sean Crighton et al again and we should see ourselves comfortably into the next round. 

Emphasis on should. 

I'm coming into this one with my expectations set quite lowly. Stenhousemuir are likely to have a number of important players missing through injury and COVID-19 protocols and I worry about the kind of team we'll be able to put out against Airdrieonians. If we start with Declan Hughes and Mikey Anderson in the middle of the park, we will be steamrollered. I think, in this instance, we might be better off seeing out this match and putting all of our efforts into the game against Stranraer at the start of December.

But, then again, who knows what might happen!

54 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm coming into this one with my expectations set quite lowly. Stenhousemuir are likely to have a number of important players missing through injury and COVID-19 protocols and I worry about the kind of team we'll be able to put out against Airdrieonians. If we start with Declan Hughes and Mikey Anderson in the middle of the park, we will be steamrollered. I think, in this instance, we might be better off seeing out this match and putting all of our efforts into the game against Stranraer at the start of December.

Ah this is a shame, which players are you anticipating will miss out?

I agree. Forbes & Miller 50/50 too. I wouldn't even risk them. Take the defeat gracefully and move on.

Much like last week against Kelty if we had a full squad I'd think we can get a result but we just can't really cope with the personell out especially if that now includes Miller.

Airdrie should win with a bit to spare.

Though we competed quite well today without really looking like scoring. Tierney up front really doesn’t cut it although he did almost sneak a goal at the end. Was a great save.

Word on the street is that the 2nd Airdrie goal didn’t cross the line which made it an incredible save from Wilson.

All in all, was a pretty mundane game. Onto the important stuff next week.

As I was behind that goal it certainly looked over the line for me and the lino was off up the park really quickly so the incredible save was just not enough. We played really narrow and Stenhousemuir were certainly competitive at getting the ball back and firing in reasonable crosses but it was only that late Tierney chance which threatened to make the end a wee bit interesting. I thought the RB was a good player  (No 2 Lyons?) and the No 25 at the back.  . Given that it was Ice Station Zebra till the wind died down, I was just glad to escape with a win.  Having seen us lose at this time last year it's good to be in the next round.

30 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Though we competed quite well today without really looking like scoring. Tierney up front really doesn’t cut it although he did almost sneak a goal at the end. Was a great save.

Word on the street is that the 2nd Airdrie goal didn’t cross the line which made it an incredible save from Wilson.

All in all, was a pretty mundane game. Onto the important stuff next week.

The ball appeared to have crossed the line from my vantage point behind the goal which admittedly isn't the best point of view although definitely better than any view the home fans would have. It was certainly a close call though.

Got to say I wasn't sure it had gone in, I was wondering why our player (can't remember who it was) hadn't slid in to get there ahead of the goalie and was surprised when the linesman/referee gave the goal.

Never really felt we got going today, I thought in the 2nd half if we'd pushed on more we'd have scored a few more goals but we seemed content to 'manage the game' which really just resulted in us sitting quite deep and giving Stenny a bit of the initiative.

A win is a win, good for Lyons to get 90 mins and both the McGills to get some more game time.

Although we gave a decent account of ourselves, it was a routine assignment for Airdrieonians and they deserved to progress to the fourth round. We created little and beyond some interesting cross balls into the area here and there, the only effort of note I remember us having was a Ryan Tierney shot towards the end of the match that Max Currie beat away at his near post. It reminded me a lot of last week's game against Kelty Hearts - we played well in spells but the second goal killed off any chance we had of getting anything from it.

Both goals were bad ones to concede on our part. The ball should have been closed down before it was worked over to Adam Frizzell (and someone behind me said: "that's in" before he even hit it) and Scott McGill's sclaffed effort looked a little shambolic, with defenders again failing to get tight to their men in the build up. I thought the ball had crossed the line but it's all immaterial now and it's not worth focusing on; it was hardly a game-defining moment.

As I mentioned prior to the match, the most important thing was we made it through the 90 minutes without picking up any further injuries. Someone said Mikey Miller was 50/50 for the game but was rested for the Stranraer encounter next week. That was probably the sensible thing to do in the circumstances. There's not a lot to read into but I felt Ross Lyon was probably our best player and looked more comfortable at right-back than on the other side, Nicky Jamieson did well at the back and Euan O'Reilly showed some decent touches before dropping out of the game after the interval. Adam Corbett did his best in the middle of the park but I think a lack of match fitness and playing in an unfamiliar role got the better of him at times. Tierney's hold-up play was occasionally good - he has a low centre of gravity and a stocky build and worked the conditions well - but he's got little interest in pressing from the front. That said, he's probably a better option than Tam Orr at the moment. For all the talk of us having a big squad, take away a couple of players and the quality really drops off, as we've seen over the past two weeks.

Airdrieonians were good without being great. Dylan Easton looked the part and I liked the way he dropped deep between the lines to cause mischief, and Rhys McCabe did well at the base of midfield.

Other than that, it was an unremarkable game of football.