Celtic v Hibernian. League Cup final, 19th December

Flybhoy

Cup finals have been played at Hampden in this configuration since about what, 1999 when it reopened following renovation. 

The fact that there still isn’t a procedure in place to distribute tickets based on an initial 50/50 split and subsequent sales shows either massive levels of incompetence, or the institutional bias towards 2 clubs, or both. 

Pretty much every time a non OF club has faced one of them over the past 20 odd years in a cup final, they have had to battle for a fair allocation of tickets. 
This kind of nonsense should not still be happening. 

Edited by Merkie84
Grammar

2 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Should always be a 50/50 split for a semi-final or final.

Fair enough to subsequently adjust allocation if one side isn't going to fill it, but surely the whole point of having the game at a neutral venue is to start from a neutral position? To have a final in one team's home city, with two-thirds of the tickets isn't that.

So going by the point you make here a Liverpool v Arsenal game isn't really neutral if it's at Wembley because the Gunners are a London club?  Or indeed Hearts v Celtic at Murrayfield a couple of years ago wasn't neutral as it was in the Jambos home city? 

The location of the stadium is irrelevant and not a factor regarding neutrality, the allocation of tickets I concede can be a factor but the stadium being in Glasgow is what it is. 

26 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Probably a bad example to use.

Hibernian requested and were given a 50/50 split of tickets for that match and barely sold half their allocation, leaving circa 10k empty seats that day, Celtic requested extra tickets in the days before the match when it became apparent Hibs sales were poor but were knocked back, I believe due to the short timescale. 

Whether you agree or not with the ticketing decision for this final I suspect this may have been a factor. 

Another point worth making, and it's not necessarily what I believe, just giving a flip to the coin of what is a very one sided argument on this thread is that Hibernian, who have I hear around 8000 season ticket holders have enough tickets for each of them to purchase one for themselves and one for a friend or relative, when looking at it barely on that fact it is still a reasonable allocation. 

I'm quite surprised at this decision to be honest, I expected a 50/50 split but there are two sides, each with valid points to the argument, our supporters bus for example ran buses to the Hearts and Raith Rovers matches, both full with about 40 plus on each occasion and on Saturday we ran two buses (albeit sharing one with a slightly smaller local CSC) and had about 60 of our members in attendance, the last couple of evenly split cup finals we have received about 25 to 30 tickets meaning at least a third of our season ticket holders missed out, a few more who attended these games should now get a ticket for the League Cup Final, and some people will be of the opinion those people are more deserving of a ticket than some day trippers from the opposition who barely go at all.

It’s not about day trippers or season ticket holders. Hibs would’ve 100% sold out a 50/50 split in tickets, I don’t think we’ve failed to do so for a final in recent times. The decision should be made based on everything being balanced, not what fits best with the most Celtc season ticket holders. It’s a game at a “neutral” venue after all.

Edited by Zing.

12 hours ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Hope the club are getting right into them about the 17k allocation. Took 30k in 07 and 16 and 40k in 04 to the same fixture so they can gtf. 

Really hope Hibs succeed. Just wish they had been more consistent on this as it would have helped their case.

At the Hibs-Saints LC semi final in Edinburgh a few years back Saints got a tiny allocation that they sold out quickly, and requests for extra were ignored. Would have loved Hibs – and Hibs fans – to have spoken up then about fairness, but not a peep, sadly. 

Edited by Mr Heliums

Cup semis and finals should be 50/50 splits as a starting point. Hibs should have been given til a certain date to sell their tickets and then they could’ve handed any back that were unsold. It’s yet another advantage that Celtic will take into this final - as if they needed any more given the financial gulf between the teams.

14 hours ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

So Hibs' allocation is about double what they took yesterday? Everyone who could be arsed will get a ticket plus a good few thousand that didn't bother.

Don't see any grounds for complaint.

Daftie

Fans of non Glasgow clubs have to leave at some stupid time in the morning to get along the M8 to play what basically amounts to a home game for one of the Glasgow clubs - and then walk miles to the bus to get home on a Sunday night.

If you cant understand why other clubs dont sell out massive amounts for semi finals you are a clueless twat.

Finals should be allocated as 50 / 50, and sales based on a system to allow for segregation if the smaller clubs doesnt sell out.

The starting point should never be "give the larger club yet another advantage.................."

8 hours ago, Buckets said:

Hopefully Hibs actually try and do something about this other than just a statement. I'd imagine it's in the rules/laws of the tournament that a final has to be at a neutral venue. What actually defines a neutral venue? I'd assume an equal split of fans is one of those things. So by not giving Hibs fans the opportunity to take their half of the ground it means it's not really neutral. 

Would be good to see Hibs fans encouraged to get in early and sell it out in plenty of time as it would make their case for 50/50 split even stronger. 

Hibs will sell out in about 2 days - one day for ST holders and then the next day for the remaining 4/5000

As to your first point there is nothing Hibs can do. They and Celtic made their representations and the SPFL have made a decision.

As  @lubo_blaha has mentioned, its not the first time its happened.

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

So going by the point you make here a Liverpool v Arsenal game isn't really neutral if it's at Wembley because the Gunners are a London club?  Or indeed Hearts v Celtic at Murrayfield a couple of years ago wasn't neutral as it was in the Jambos home city? 

The location of the stadium is irrelevant and not a factor regarding neutrality, the allocation of tickets I concede can be a factor but the stadium being in Glasgow is what it is. 

Bloody hell man, it’s not going to be neutral because one side has been allocated substantially more tickets than the other, for a Cup Final. The amount of season tickets holders that any club has, the amount of supporters club buses that any club has, is totally irrelevant. This is not a Celtic home game where season tickets are valid, this is a Cup Final where both sides should have equal representation in the stands. It’s certainly a cliché, but a true one in this case, Celtic fans are an entitled bunch.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I thought this old chestnut had long been sorted out ?

Hibs/Celtic should be offered a 50/50 split, then work backwards from there. If Hibs have tickets left with a week to go before the final, offer them to Celtic. 

But no, Scottish football continues it's hard earned reputation as a world-class laughing stock, by doing the wrong thing....again. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I thought this old chestnut had long been sorted out ?

Hibs/Celtic should be offered a 50/50 split, then work backwards from there. If Hibs have tickets left with a week to go before the final, offer them to Celtic. 

But no, Scottish football continues it's hard earned reputation as a world-class laughing stock, by doing the wrong thing....again. 

9 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

It's a farce that Hibs fans aren't given the chance to sell 50%, which they would.

It's a cup final at a neutral venue.  If both teams can sell the same amount of tickets that should always be the default.  

Dont disagree with you both (particularly Bobs bit about staggering sales) but we saw this 3 years ago with Aberdeen, and that precedent was set.

Some Hibs fans are saying we should "take no tickets" and other boycott bullshit.............which will never happen.

I suppose to be completely even handed, you might say that its a shame that all Celtic STs wont get a ticket............................but thats easy for me to say as I am guaranteed one anyway !!

One of the biggest issues on Sunday was having those lovely Rangers fans above and behind us - and that looks like it will happen again at the final - ridic.

The annoying thing about the chat of us getting 50/50 as a starting point and then being able to work it back for a final is that it would almost certainly mean we’d be forced to leave the best seats(North Stand) to last to sell. Hibs should be getting half the ground for a final against anyone with no maybes around how much we’d sell etc. The evidence shows that we’ll always sell half the ground. 

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Fans of non Glasgow clubs have to leave at some stupid time in the morning to get along the M8 to play what basically amounts to a home game for one of the Glasgow clubs - and then walk miles to the bus to get home on a Sunday night.

For a 3pm kick off in an stadium just over an hour away? 😂

47 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Dont disagree with you both (particularly Bobs bit about staggering sales) but we saw this 3 years ago with Aberdeen, and that precedent was set.

Some Hibs fans are saying we should "take no tickets" and other boycott bullshit.............which will never happen.

I suppose to be completely even handed, you might say that its a shame that all Celtic STs wont get a ticket............................but thats easy for me to say as I am guaranteed one anyway !!

One of the biggest issues on Sunday was having those lovely Rangers fans above and behind us - and that looks like it will happen again at the final - ridic.

Just do what Celtic fans did when they were shite and claim you're boycotting, therefore proving you're not glory hunters who disappeared cause there's been 5 seasons without a trophy but actually care so deeply about the club you're prepared to hurt your own interests of watching your team - absolutely not related to not wanting to turn up to watch Wayne Biggins and Co get bodied by Falkirk. 

A season ticket gets you a ticket for your home games.  That's all

33 minutes ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

For a 3pm kick off in an stadium just over an hour away? 😂

Yes, because leaving at 2pm from my house would absolutely ensure I would be in my seat for ko time.................

If Aberdeen, Inverness or Ross County  were involved, what time do you suggest they leave?

What time did you leave Glasgow for the match v Hearts at Murrayfield, as a matter of interest?