Arbroath vs Raith Rovers

No complaints about the referee in general, can only really think of one incident and that was the breakaway one. Criminal refereeing.

Quite a poor game, two evenly matched teams. Happy enough with the point and clean sheet whilst not quite being at our best. 

8 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

No complaints about the referee in general, can only really think of one incident and that was the breakaway one. Criminal refereeing. 

Quite a poor game, two evenly matched teams. Happy enough with the point and clean sheet whilst not quite being at our best. 

Lichtielegend has already been awarded the most rational and sensible post regarding Arbroath supporters on this game's thread.

However, your one is equally (if not more) worthy.

A joint award it has to be for fairness and common sense. Chapeau to you both.👍🧢

I enjoyed that more than most on here. Raith the best team we’ve played. Handled Noubz well, robust and generally lawful. Losing Ricky disrupted us significantly and we couldn’t maintain our bright first 30 mins. Draw was fair enough.

Ref was a curious example, relying on wild guesses some of the time, but didn’t make any odds to the the final score.

Genuinely amazed anyone could watch that game and think Arbroath should have won. If any side could have won it was them but aside from the Lang clearance, the limited chances MacDonald had to deal with were straight at him (although he did almost mess one up).

The fact there are only 4 minutes of highlights sum up how poor a game it was and neither side did enough to feel aggrieved with a point. Also, any anger directed at the ref for ruining their breakaway at the end should be squarely aimed at McKenna for his stupidity, the ref had no choice but to stop play.

Nouble leaving will be Arbroath’s biggest issue in the second half of the season obviously but yesterday probably summed up another issue they will have to overcome. We have often seen opposition fans and managers say along the lines of ‘we should be beating teams like Arbroath’. However, their performances and results this season have correctly earned them a lot of respect.

They will now encounter teams who are happy to sit in, defend well and try and frustrate them. We saw last year, we naively went to Gayfield and tried to line up and play exactly the way we do at Starks. Arbroath turned the game into a physical battle and ran over the top of us. We made the change yesterday to match up physically realising how important that aspect is.

I would expect more teams to do the same. That’s not so say Arbroath can’t overcome that and continue their form but they are no longer viewed as plucky underdogs and are correctly seen as one of the better sides at this level and consequently, they will have to deal with sides approaching games against them in a different way than before.

7 hours ago, pantene proV said:

Who's the perma-raging Rovers fan in the stand?

I was sat in the next section over and he never uttered a positive word.  Must have made for a joyous day out with his family who were treated to rage and negativity for 90 mins.  Kind of guy that would pick fault in a 5-0 win. Amused me at parts to see and hear him constantly tell players and manager what they should be doing like the match was a live PlayStation game. Probably thought he was enlightening the football novices when in reality the half a dozen folk round me (who didn't know each other) spent half time discussing how much of a plank he was. Maybe his permanent rage is some form of obtuse befriending service. 

Yeah, can’t be any complaints about the breakaway being stopped after seeing McKennnas two-handed push to the chest.
There couldn’t really have been too many complaints if he’d walked either.

Incidentally, I heard McGlynn was keen to sign him in the summer and he had talks at Raith but obviously decided to stay at Arbroath.

We’ve not been at our best the last couple of games which is strange considering the squad ha been as full as at any other time of the season.
But the run continues and if you can draw away from home to the better teams in the league and beat them at home (as we’ve done with Arbroath) you’ll be in a decent place.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Genuinely amazed anyone could watch that game and think Arbroath should have won. If any side could have won it was them but aside from the Lang clearance, the limited chances MacDonald had to deal with were straight at him (although he did almost mess one up).

The fact there are only 4 minutes of highlights sum up how poor a game it was and neither side did enough to feel aggrieved with a point. Also, any anger directed at the ref for ruining their breakaway at the end should be squarely aimed at McKenna for his stupidity, the ref had no choice but to stop play.

Nouble leaving will be Arbroath’s biggest issue in the second half of the season obviously but yesterday probably summed up another issue they will have to overcome. We have often seen opposition fans and managers say along the lines of ‘we should be beating teams like Arbroath’. However, their performances and results this season have correctly earned them a lot of respect.

They will now encounter teams who are happy to sit in, defend well and try and frustrate them. We saw last year, we naively went to Gayfield and tried to line up and play exactly the way we do at Starks. Arbroath turned the game into a physical battle and ran over the top of us. We made the change yesterday to match up physically realising how important that aspect is.

I would expect more teams to do the same. That’s not so say Arbroath can’t overcome that and continue their form but they are no longer viewed as plucky underdogs and are correctly seen as one of the better sides at this level and consequently, they will have to deal with sides approaching games against them in a different way than before.

Could have and should have. Raith supporters complaining about a poor game, well if your set you team up to shitehouse the game what do you expect?? I never found the game boring it was always competitive regardless of how much time was given to highlights.

Edited by keptie

5 minutes ago, keptie said:

Could have and should have. Raith supporters complaining about a poor game, well if your set you team up to shitehouse the game what do you expect?? I never found the game boring it was always competitive regardless of how much time was given to highlights.

:lol: If you think you should have won that and it wasn’t a poor game than you are very easily pleased, fair play to you for that. I’d imagine you think Arbroath should have won every game this season if three comfortable saves straight at the keeper and a defensive block across 90 minutes count as enough pressure to feel aggrieved at not winning.

It was comfortably the worst match I have seen this season. Two teams happy to shell long balls up front and play for second balls with zero quality shown in the final third by either side. In fairness I missed the first 15 minutes due to an issue with my stream when it sounds as if Arbroath were on top but as @CALDERON said earlier, there was no point in the game I watched where I felt we were under real pressure or that we wouldn’t keep a clean sheet. It looked like a 0-0 all the way.

Given their league position, I would assume Arbroath usually have a lot more to offer than that and we defended well to nullify their threats but we must have been watching a different game if you thought there was much entertainment value in that.

Now that the dust has settled and the booze has worn off I have a slightly different view of the game.

I haven’t watched the highlights apart from the McKenna incident and yes the ref had no option but to stop the game. A wee bit daft by McKenna. Didn’t realise that’s what happened at the time as I was focussed on the break and only saw the two players getting up and McKenna getting booked.

A draw was definitely a fair result as there was nothing for either keeper to do really. For us, both Linn efforts were tame as was the header towards the end. I don’t blame Linn for not taking either of his chances, you can tell that he’s trying so hard and is desperate to score goals and influence the game that his composure in front of goal seems to have gone for now.

Still of the opinion that the ref was dreadful (for both teams) and had a big influence in how the game panned out. 

All in all, have to be happy with a draw as I had a niggling worry that yesterday could have been a bubble buster. There is definitely nothing for us to worry about for the rest of the season and we “should” stay up comfortably, which is all that matters really.

Edited by Tattie36

2 hours ago, Always next quarter said:

I was sat in the next section over and he never uttered a positive word.  Must have made for a joyous day out with his family who were treated to rage and negativity for 90 mins.  Kind of guy that would pick fault in a 5-0 win. Amused me at parts to see and hear him constantly tell players and manager what they should be doing like the match was a live PlayStation game. Probably thought he was enlightening the football novices when in reality the half a dozen folk round me (who didn't know each other) spent half time discussing how much of a plank he was. Maybe his permanent rage is some form of obtuse befriending service. 

My hearing must be shot as I can only make out a moan about our corner turning into a breakaway for them.