Backing up an iPod classic

Has anyone ever done this? I've read some stuff online about how it might be done but worried that it will erase all tunes on the iPod or that the old PC I use for putting tunes on to it (Windows XP) won't be able to handle it.

59 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Has anyone ever done this? I've read some stuff online about how it might be done but worried that it will erase all tunes on the iPod or that the old PC I use for putting tunes on to it (Windows XP) won't be able to handle it.

Assuming that you kept the old ‘puter synced with the iPod Classic or loaded the music from the ‘puter WITHOUT erasing it after uploading it onto the iPod, all the music on the iPod is on the ‘puter. If that’s the case, connect an external hard drive to the computer and copy your music files.

• 1 month later...
On 21/11/2021 at 01:00, TxRover said:

Assuming that you kept the old ‘puter synced with the iPod Classic or loaded the music from the ‘puter WITHOUT erasing it after uploading it onto the iPod, all the music on the iPod is on the ‘puter. If that’s the case, connect an external hard drive to the computer and copy your music files.

I have kept the iPod synced with the computer but most of the music has been removed from said computer (I copied hundreds of CDs to the computer then to the iPod, also copied loads of downloads from my USBs to the computer then iPod).

• 1 month later...

I have still been using my 160GB iPod Classic that I have had since 2012. It's a massive source of bitterness for me that the iPod has been consigned to history, because there was nothing better than having a dedicated device for listening to music. Streaming does not come close.

I had a horrific few hours yesterday when it had become "corrupted" and was showing as having no music on it despite it being nearly full. It also would no longer sync with my Mac and wouldn't even "restore". I tried for hours to fix it and had began to think that it was dead.

However, I connected it up to my Windows PC, installed iTunes, imported all my music from my external hard drive and manage to restore it. Annoyingly, there was a lot of duplicates when I imported all my music for some reason, so I had to go through everything and remove all the duplicates.

I always had "sync only ticked songs" set to on on my Mac, because I have more music than would fit on the iPod. Windows didn't have that feature, instead I had to go through a big list and select the albums I wanted to sync. It was a bit of a pain, but I suppose it was a nice opportunity to refresh the stuff that was actually on the iPod. because I had previously a lot of stuff on it that I didn't really listen to. Now it better reflects my current tastes.

BTW @DA Baracus, did you manage to fix your issue? I have never done it, but I think there is a way to move music from your iPod to a computer.