Clash of the Dinosaur Managers II - Morton v Ayr, The Extinction Event, 4 December

54 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He's cut from exactly the same cloth as the pair of them tbh. I'm interested to see what Morton do here. Last season they gave the job to a fitness coach although they seem to be in a worse position this time around. I have no idea why, but I could absolutely see Hopkin end up back with them. 

I don't see how we're in a worse position, other than the removal of Alloa meaning that 10th is also in play in the relegation battle for all the clubs involved in it. Our first team squad isn't outstanding but it is more coherent than having 10 wingers, no centre forwards and McGinty shipping a goal per game that we all had to deal with last season. 

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

I don't see how we're in a worse position, other than the removal of Alloa meaning that 10th is also in play in the relegation battle for all the clubs involved in it. Our first team squad isn't outstanding but it is more coherent than having 10 wingers, no centre forwards and McGinty shipping a goal per game that we all had to deal with last season. 

I meant league position. Were you not sitting about 6th when "Hoppy" left, moaning about money after he wasted it on his umpteen wingers? I might be way off with that but from memory I can't remember Morton fans being as concerned about going down as they seem to be this season. 

Also I completely dispute that nonsense about McGinty. He was at fault for 2 goals yesterday and at least 3 up at Firhill in a 4-0 rout. He's upped his numbers since he moved to us. 

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I meant league position. Were you not sitting about 6th when "Hoppy" left, moaning about money after he wasted it on his umpteen wingers? I might be way off with that but from memory I can't remember Morton fans being as concerned about going down as they seem to be this season. 

Hopkin left the team in 7th place with 7 points from 6 games. Which is a better PPG but is just not enough games to make a real judgment. The fitness coach also had us in 7th when McPherson replaced him in March.

That McPherson was rewarded in any way this summer for his utter failure at avoiding the play-offs in the first place is baffling. He should have been emptied for failing to beat an already relegated Alloa at home on the second last week, when a straightforward win would have had us in the box seats on the final day at Arbroath. 

Yesterday's second half summed up his gormless inability to manage a game or make meaningful and timely changes. That's the biggest issue costing us points at the moment (though we'll still be nowhere near competing with the top half sides). 

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

Hopkin left the team in 7th place with 7 points from 6 games. Which is a better PPG but is just not enough games to make a real judgment. The fitness coach also had us in 7th when McPherson replaced him in March.

That McPherson was rewarded in any way this summer for his utter failure at avoiding the play-offs in the first place is baffling. He should have been emptied for failing to beat an already relegated Alloa at home on the second last week, when a straightforward win would have had us in the box seats on the final day at Arbroath. 

Yesterday's second half summed up his gormless inability to manage a game or make meaningful and timely changes. That's the biggest issue costing us points at the moment (though we'll still be nowhere near competing with the top half sides). 

Ah okay so there wasn't much in it then. 

I did find it bizarre that you decided to keep Gus in the summer when you could quite easily and freely parted ways and tried for some sort of rebuild with a new manager from there. The decision to appoint Gus when you did, after McElhone seemed to be doing okay if a bit uninspiring was also bizarre. Why wasn't he appointed when Hopkin left if he was the guy you wanted? 

I'd guess that the biggest criticism I have of Duffy just now is he is very reactive and never proactive in his changes. He'll only make changes when we're losing like yesterday and it's even more frustrating when those changes work or we actually start to try after going a goal down. One of the best halves we've played this season was when we were already 2-0 to Raith and probably should've ended up winning the game but we couldn't get that second goal. We're in a similar position as you were with Gus in that if we stay up we've got the chance to cut ties with Duffy and not reward him for simply keeping us up. Need to actually fix Hopkins shite squad and stay in the league first though. 

One day on and still not much being said about Hamilton at the first goal. From the angle i seen it, the ball was high enough to go over and all he he had to do was touch it over. Second goal is just a disgrace, same as the QOTS goal midweek in which our defender shit themselves when it came to trying to tackle.

Not sure if anybody else saw Strapp mouthing back at the cowshed after a few people reacted to him for shouting at King.

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Why wasn't he appointed when Hopkin left if he was the guy you wanted? 

We were in the middle of takeover negotiations.

At that point, decisions were still being made by the old regime who only wanted to cut costs and save money.

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I did find it bizarre that you decided to keep Gus in the summer when you could quite easily and freely parted ways and tried for some sort of rebuild with a new manager from there. The decision to appoint Gus when you did, after McElhone seemed to be doing okay if a bit uninspiring was also bizarre. Why wasn't he appointed when Hopkin left if he was the guy you wanted? 

I wasn't keen on keeping Gus in the summer but it wasn't the end of the world either. The argument about a bit of consistency and giving him time to shape his own squad made me think there were worse appointments out there. But a two year deal was absolutely bizarre unless there was some sort of clause that let us bin him based on performance. Who's fucking idea was that? Did Gus go to our bowling committee and say "I'm only signing a two year deal?" and they shat it and agreed? Did they think if they never got the extra 12 months he'd be poached by Man U if Solskjaer got the bag? 

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

In the highlights who is the guy with suit on who seemed to be screaming at Macpherson that he was getting sacked in the morning just after the second Ayr goal. Surely not a board member?

You got a link for the highlights? Can't seem to find them anywhere on YouTube.

2 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

In the highlights who is the guy with suit on who seemed to be screaming at Macpherson that he was getting sacked in the morning just after the second Ayr goal. Surely not a board member?

Looks like it's someone from hospitality. Outstanding tbf :lol: