Sporting activities at threat from climate change

Cosmic Joe

Or conversely climate change at threat from sporting activities. 

Those that do most damage to the environment. 

Drag Racing (Is this even still a thing?) 

Stock Car Racing

In fact, can motor racing of any description adapt to the demands of the 21st century? Can they go electric? 

There are possibly more environmentally unfriendly sports out there involving bovines for example. 

6 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Stock Car Racing

In fact, can motor racing of any description adapt to the demands of the 21st century? Can they go electric? 

There are possibly more environmentally unfriendly sports out there involving bovines for example. 

There is already Formula E. Electric car racing. I watched it on tv once, it sounded like a hair salon with all the hairdryers on at the same time.

12 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Stock Car Racing

Compared to SUVs doing the school run race to see who can park worst while holding a coffee, the above examples do a tiny amount of damage.

3 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

The amount of fuel used in a season of F1 for example is probably less than the fuel capacity of a 747 (110kg tank x2.5 race distance for a weekend x20 cars x23 races +pre-season testing = 148,500kg/year, ~185,000 Litres). It doesn't "need" the cars to go electric as that's not where all the emissions over a season come from. 

Emissions will be from transporting the cars, equipment, people across the world and then also from hosting the travelling circus with all the spectators - but then I suppose that applies to a lot of events and sports. 

There are good videos on YouTube by Wendover Productions about the logistics of F1 and NFL. As the above poster says, it’s not necessarily the sporting activity, but the circus that follows.

Seattle Seahawks away to Miami, for example. Flying 53 large men (taking up two seats some of them) right across the country, with all the coaches, staff, equipment, etc. isn’t very good. Some airlines aren’t allowed to stay in certain airports, so have to fly away to another hub for a while, before returning and flying off for the journey home. And then all the fat Americans in their SUVs driving to the game…

I imagine the Bahamas Senior League may be coming to an end soon.

Edited by Smurph

The World Cup must create a massive amount of carbon emissions given that teams, officials, media and fans from numerous countries fly half way around the world to the host nation/s.

In fact I’d like to see a ban on all international football.  Nothing to do with the environment.  I just can’t stand international breaks interrupting the season.

Yeah when my dad lived in Cyprus there were a few moans from the locals about the water required to maintain the golf resorts that were being built at that time. Can only imagine how much it takes for all the resorts across the Middle East, Australia etc.

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Golf has to be one of the worst, especially around places like Vegas and the Middle East. 

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Yeah when my dad lived in Cyprus there were a few moans from the locals about the water required to maintain the golf resorts that were being built at that time. Can only imagine how much it takes for all the resorts across the Middle East, Australia etc.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I enjoy looking at random places on Google Street view.

If you go to the very edge of Las Vegas you can see barren desert on one side of the road and lush greenery on the other. I don't think that Vegas has a river or a source of water so they must be pumping loads of it in from somewhere.

22 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I enjoy looking at random places on Google Street view.

If you go to the very edge of Las Vegas you can see barren desert on one side of the road and lush greenery on the other. I don't think that Vegas has a river or a source of water so they must be pumping loads of it in from somewhere.

WRF plant facilities

Reclaimed water from the plant is used for turf irrigation and return flow credits to Lake Mead.

Depending on the quality of filtered water, it may also be used for the watering of livestock, industrial supply (commercial laundries, construction-related plants and for cooling at a co-generation plant), municipal and domestic supply and propagation of wild and aquatic life.

City of North Las Vegas Water Reclamation Facility - Water Technology (water-technology.net)

Their water mostly comes from lake mead, which is behind the hoover dam

My cabbie explained that if Las Vegas didn’t use all that water it would just go to waste

And by “waste” he meant California

9 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

I don't think that Vegas has a river or a source of water so they must be pumping loads of it in from somewhere.

90% of it comes from Lake Mead, which ~25 million people currently rely on despite it quickly drying up.  It's almost certainly unsustainable and a complete disaster in the making, but its evidently fair game if folk are raking in the $s and aren't in immediate danger.

Current water levels are now dropping below the elevation of the existing supply pipelines, and If they drop another ~130ft then water will no longer flow through the Hoover Dam at its lower end, which has already seen a 25% drop in output capacity.  This in turn will create an energy shortage for multiple SW states that currently take power from it, which you'd imagine would require 'dirtier' methods (or an enormous wind farm) to make up the significant difference.

Screenshot_20211121-042207.thumb.png.502252a0df81b96ed6bf3c18052c5b61.png

Edited by Hedgecutter

90% of it comes from Lake Mead, which ~25 million people currently rely on despite it quickly drying up.  It's almost certainly unsustainable and a complete disaster in the making, but its evidently fair game if folk are raking in the $s and aren't in immediate danger.
Current water levels are now dropping below the elevation of the existing supply pipelines, and If they drop another ~130ft then water will no longer flow through the Hoover Dam at its lower end, which has already seen a 25% drop in output capacity.  This in turn will create an energy shortage for multiple SW states that currently take power from it, which you'd imagine would require 'dirtier' methods (or an enormous wind farm) to make up the significant difference.

Screenshot_20211121-042207.thumb.png.502252a0df81b96ed6bf3c18052c5b61.png

Not firing off massive fountains at regular intervals might help3ec95ec78a1da8e5257b882e4df81a35.jpg