Forfar Athletic v Cowdenbeath

Result  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Forfar v Cowdenbeath Sat 20th Nov '21 ko 15:00

Forfar looking for to bounce back from last weekends defeat while Cowdenbeath looking for their first win since 10th Aug.

Forfar 1/2 Cowdenbeath 15/4 draw 3/1

Weather - Sunny 9°c 

Home win for me Jeff.

I would love this to be a comfortable easy win with us grabbing a few goals without reply. However, while I think we will win I reckon it'll be 2-1. Hopefully, with Gary Irvine winning manager of the month it won't be the inevitable drop off in form that seems to accompany these awards!

3 hours ago, mr_malcolm said:

Season feels already over . Touch wood we will now just cruise along into the playoffs

Far from over, we need to keep the points rolling in and concentrate finishing second, for the potentially easier route to the playoff final, with an eye on an unlikely drop in performance from Kelty.

Interesting line up for us. Good to see Ross is willing to chop and change it. Never understood why Bollan just stuck with the same old same. It might not work, but at least give it a chance.

Interesting line up for us. Good to see Ross is willing to chop and change it. Never understood why Bollan just stuck with the same old same. It might not work, but at least give it a chance.
Quite refreshing that. Bollan was awful for bemoaning effort levels then starting the same 11 the next week. Hopefully some players that have been known to coast through games take it as a warning that they aren't guaranteed a spot and kick on to their full potential

I wasn't there today, but going by the BBC it was exactly like elgin. Lose a goal and lose the head. Need a rallying result that I was hoping today would bring. We can turn this around just need a bit luck. It will come i am sure we just need to keep the faith

Guest mr_malcolm
I wasn't there today, but going by the BBC it was exactly like elgin. Lose a goal and lose the head. Need a rallying result that I was hoping today would bring. We can turn this around just need a bit luck. It will come i am sure we just need to keep the faith

Don’t want to be a killjoy but yous offered next to nothing . The whole game was pretty much played in front of your defensive 10 .

I was at this as a neutral today and didn't think Cowdenbeath were that bad. Certainly, they are not yet in the Brechin death spiral.

Honestly in the first half I thought Forfar were poor. Their passing was terrible, and Cowdenbeath built nicely from the back. The issue is simple: Cowdenbeath move the ball nicely using marauding full-backs but they come adrift in the final third, lacking both a final ball and someone to test the goalkeeper seriously. Aitken rattled the bar shortly before half time but 0-0 at the break was a fair reflection of the game.

In the second half Forfar played much better and you never felt Cowden would get back on terms once big Munro had headed home at the back post, from a poorly defended corner. The second gaol was really well worked. With Forfar in front, they knew they could simply absorb Cowden's powderpuff attacks forward and hit at pace on the break. A cracking ball in from the right after some good passing was turned past the goalkeeper and it was lights out.

Aitken's free kick right on the full time whistle was a strange goal- it was well struck but seemed to go straight through everbody. Someone in the Cowdenebath wall was still being shouted at as the players trooped off.

I can see Maurice Ross wants to play out from the back- the goalkeeper hardly hit a long clearance all day- and for the most part Cowdenbeath were OK at that. But really at a place like Forfar you need to mix things up between playing the ball out, and going a bit more direct. In any case it doesn't matter for the moment as there is no threat up front. Pretty clear what the new manager's priorities are when the window opens...would suggest even trawling the free agents to see if someone can come in and do a job for a few weeks. It doesn't matter how you want to play, fi there's no goal threat then...

Routine win in the end for Forfar who are a strong team at this level with a few really good performers.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

Most of this game was dire. Cowden played crab passes across their own half for most of the first half and 'we' were equally poor and seemed a bit confused on what to do so offered very little in terms of trying to open up the game.

Second half pretty much the same until the latter stages.

Hopefully someone was watching the officials performance? I know it's a difficult role, but a bad day at the office from all of them IMO.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, good goals (eventually).

I fear our 'Smokey Smelling' neighbours will tear us apart next week. 😑

I said we'd win a would like it to be by a comfortable margin, and if you only looked at the score then that would appear true, it just took us until nearly the 80th minute to get a goal.

We started in a 4-3-3 which looks to be forced rather than tactical with Stef & Thomson injured.

I think Grant Anderson was the turning point. Shep was as effective on the wing as he is up front, i.e. not very. Forfar controlled possession but it was all sideways (much like Cowdenbeath), that was probably because Slater was playing just in front of our defense, and sadly Archie and Gallagher couldn't make those driving runs, however, when we returned to 4-4-2 it helped us a lot.

After the 1st goal Cowden's heads dropped and from then I knew we wouldn't lose, so it was nice for us to grab 3.

We are a real threat from set pieces - well big Andy is - which is good. Lovely movement for our second, and that is what we are seeing more often under Gary Irvine, he seems to put a lot of time into build-ups. The third was odd, scoring from a direct FK is usually awesome to watch but Matty's kick seemed to just go in fairly slowly, Cowden obviously had totally lost concentration to allow what wasn't that great a free kick to go into the net, still that's nice for Matty and hopefully gives him some confidence, was surprised to see him step up and take it, ordinarily I would've expected Slater or Strachan to take it.

With Stirling losing that gives us more breathing space in 2nd place.

I was at this as a neutral today and didn't think Cowdenbeath were that bad. Certainly, they are not yet in the Brechin death spiral.
Honestly in the first half I thought Forfar were poor. Their passing was terrible, and Cowdenbeath built nicely from the back. The issue is simple: Cowdenbeath move the ball nicely using marauding full-backs but they come adrift in the final third, lacking both a final ball and someone to test the goalkeeper seriously. Aitken rattled the bar shortly before half time but 0-0 at the break was a fair reflection of the game.
In the second half Forfar played much better and you never felt Cowden would get back on terms once big Munro had headed home at the back post, from a poorly defended corner. The second gaol was really well worked. With Forfar in front, they knew they could simply absorb Cowden's powderpuff attacks forward and hit at pace on the break. A cracking ball in from the right after some good passing was turned past the goalkeeper and it was lights out.
Aitken's free kick right on the full time whistle was a strange goal- it was well struck but seemed to go straight through everbody. Someone in the Cowdenebath wall was still being shouted at as the players trooped off.
I can see Maurice Ross wants to play out from the back- the goalkeeper hardly hit a long clearance all day- and for the most part Cowdenbeath were OK at that. But really at a place like Forfar you need to mix things up between playing the ball out, and going a bit more direct. In any case it doesn't matter for the moment as there is no threat up front. Pretty clear what the new manager's priorities are when the window opens...would suggest even trawling the free agents to see if someone can come in and do a job for a few weeks. It doesn't matter how you want to play, fi there's no goal threat then...
Routine win in the end for Forfar who are a strong team at this level with a few really good performers.

Very fair post, can’t disagree with any of it. If you don’t shoot or cannot you won’t score.