Dundee Utd v Aberdeen

3 hours ago, betting competition said:

With video analysis these days he would have seen the incident before the BBC interview. I think he would have seen it at half time.

You don't think he'd have had more important stuff to deal with a half time. He'd just been sent off, one of his midfielders had just been sent off, his stop gap left sided centre back had just been injured and he needed to rejig his defence and midfield. But yeah, the most important thing would have been watching a replay of something that he can do nothing about. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Still no condemnation from Dundee United I believe. 

For a club who were remarkably quick to accuse Ross County supporters.....incorrectly....of racism, they're staying very quiet regarding an assault on a black player from one of their own fans. 

I see that The Courier this morning says that they're 'studying video evidence' before making a statement. Given the evidence happened over a matter of seconds and was clear as day, you do wonder what they're actually 'studying'. 

Very poor from United here. Smacks of the actions of a tiny tinpot club who are more interested in appeasing their small support rather than common decency. 

Dundee United FC have been working in conjunction with Police Scotland to review an incident that occurred during Saturday's match at Tannadice Park.

We can confirm that an individual has had their season ticket cancelled and been banned from Tannadice Park for unacceptable conduct and breaching the terms of their season ticket contract.

The Club are committed to ensuring a safe environment for everyone to come along and enjoy football matches at Tannadice and we ask all fans to help ensure this is the case.  

We will make no further comment on this matter.

(Probably on the account of the fact the guy has also been charged with assault)

Edited by Sugar_Army

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Still no condemnation from Dundee United I believe. 

For a club who were remarkably quick to accuse Ross County supporters.....incorrectly....of racism, they're staying very quiet regarding an assault on a black player from one of their own fans. 

I see that The Courier this morning says that they're 'studying video evidence' before making a statement. Given the evidence happened over a matter of seconds and was clear as day, you do wonder what they're actually 'studying'. 

Very poor from United here. Smacks of the actions of a tiny tinpot club who are more interested in appeasing their small support rather than common decency. 

What sort of condemnation do you want? The supporter involved has had his season ticket revoked and been issued with a ban: now it's in the hands of the police and further official comment or censure could prejudice the case. Your attempt illustrate the event as an example of racism is fragile and pitiful.

I'm surprised at two aspects, that Dons fans keep on repeating the same things about the incident, and that nobody has mentioned how wound up Ojo was for the five minutes before he was ordered off. Earlier on the match thread I mentioned his involvement with Seigrist when Butcher was sent off, which Madden must have noticed: he could/should have been yellow carded there, which may have added weight to the referee's judgement to card him minutes later.

On 21/11/2021 at 13:26, Mean Gene said:

Probably already been covered, but the Dundee Utd fans surrounding the guy who pushes Ojo don’t cover themselves in glory either. Horrible lot. No doubt be embarrassed by their actions today. 

I doubt very much they're embarrassed, par for the course with that mob. I haven't read the whole thread but wondered if there is any comment on the Dayglo's banner quoting Mussolini?

16 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

What sort of condemnation do you want? The supporter involved has had his season ticket revoked and been issued with a ban: now it's in the hands of the police and further official comment or censure could prejudice the case. Your attempt illustrate the event as an example of racism is fragile and pitiful.

I'm surprised at two aspects, that Dons fans keep on repeating the same things about the incident, and that nobody has mentioned how wound up Ojo was for the five minutes before he was ordered off. Earlier on the match thread I mentioned his involvement with Seigrist when Butcher was sent off, which Madden must have noticed: he could/should have been yellow carded there, which may have added weight to the referee's judgement to card him minutes later.

Unsure of the relevance of your 2nd point here. 

26 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Better late than never. 

Surprised there isn’t an apology to ojo tbh but hey ho. 

Time to move on. 

I imagine Dons fans (and fans of Dundee FC*) will still be talking about this the next time our teams meet.  And the time after that, and the time after that, and…

* that should really read “fans of 11th place Dundee”.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Unsure of the relevance of your 2nd point here. 

I'm trying the explain the way a referee's mind perhaps works.

Don Robertson sent Pawlett off earlier in the season, booking him for going to the crowd after scoring, but not giving him a second yellow when he fouled Booth minutes later. He may have felt Pawlett had had all his chances when he sent him off on a second yellow for diving thereafter.

Similarly, Madden booked Hedges on Saturday for booting the ball away, having warned him previously for doing the same when that could have been his first yellow. Then, having just booked Ojo, he turned the Nelsonian eye to his involvement in the fall out from the Butcher red, but decided he's had enough following the corner. As an aside, at the corner, Ojo caught Fuchs with his left hand in the face at the corner, unsure if Madden saw that too.

Not saying Madden was correct in sending him off when he was shoved, outlining what may have influenced the decision.

22 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I doubt very much they're embarrassed, par for the course with that mob. I haven't read the whole thread but wondered if there is any comment on the Dayglo's banner quoting Mussolini?

You'd have to explain that one to me, if it concerns the stuff in the East Stand before the game, that was a quote from an Australian nurse.

The "lion for a day" quote was around long before Mussolini.  Nothing more than a witty reference to the lion rampant on United's crest and Aberdeen fans' penchant for interfering with livestock.

Edited by Aladdin

2 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

The "lion for a day" quote was around long before Mussolini.  Nothing more than a witty reference to the lion rampant on United's crest and Aberdeen fans' penchant for interfering with livestock.

It certainly was very witty 

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

In what way has it been bizarre?

The lack of an apology, mostly. I thought the 'statement' on Saturday was poorly judged and that Courts' post-match comments didn't reflect well on him either. It doesn't change what actually happened, of course, but I think it's been handled poorly from a PR perspective. 

I'd agree that the lack of a public apology leaves a bit of a sour taste, but as others have mentioned, we don't know if United have apologised directly to Ojo, and I would certainly hope they have. If we're looking post-match comments from managers, I'd suggest that Glass shitting on Ojo from a great height was far more bizarre than Courts producing the well-known "I didn't see it" that most managers use when their team/club has made a c**t of it.

In terms of PR, United have banned the moron within 48 hours of the incident. I'm not saying we should be singing their praises from the rooftops, but other than sticking the c**t in the stocks and letting Ojo kick him up the arse Simpsons-in-Australia style, good PR for United in a situation like this is dealing with it swiftly and strongly, and that's what they have done.