YouTube Vids

NotThePars

MyMechanics posted a new video of himself restoring a doorbell last week. Another very good watch and a high level of craftsmanship. 

For anyone interested he seems to have another channel which until a few days ago I was completely oblivious to. The channel is called ‘MyMechanicsInsights‘ and it has plenty of videos for me to catch up on. 

Seem a couple of NileRed's videos before, but this one is just mental.

I'm not sure that something still counts as "plastic gloves" once it's been rendered down, filtered, and mixed with other substances literally dozens of times over a period of months, but I think the man deserves credit for the sheer lunatic genius.

Guy makes a gear contraption out of Lego, with a ratio of Googol:1 (Googol is 1, with 100 zeroes after it). I’ve tried to figure out how many rotations of the first gear would be needed for one full rotation of the last one, but it’s above my mathematical ability. Cool video though. 

50 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Don't know if he has been mentioned before, but I really like Indigo Traveller. His series to Nigeria was excellent...

I find some of these travel bloggers hard to watch, as I said about that Scottish clown I posted a few weeks back, but that guy seems quite respectful and took the time to talk to people instead of throwing a GoPro in their face and shouting at them in broken English. I do always wonder why these people are travelling the world alone though, away from their family and friends, but I suppose some people enjoy their own company enough to do that. 

I’ve watched a few videos from another vlogger called Kurt Caz, guy in his 20’s who is half German half South African. The videos I seen were from South America, where he was trying to find Columbian tribes in the same mountains where the cocoa plants are harvested and the cocaine is produced. Another one from Bolivia where he searched out the most dangerous area in La Paz and had a walk around. On both occasions he found himself in precarious situations where he had to answer to the locals, but you would expect nothing less if you went to those particular places and started wandering around with a GoPro. 

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I find some of these travel bloggers hard to watch, as I said about that Scottish clown I posted a few weeks back, but that guy seems quite respectful and took the time to talk to people instead of throwing a GoPro in their face and shouting at them in broken English. I do always wonder why these people are travelling the world alone though, away from their family and friends, but I suppose some people enjoy their own company enough to do that. 

I’ve watched a few videos from another vlogger called Kurt Caz, guy in his 20’s who is half German half South African. The videos I seen were from South America, where he was trying to find Columbian tribes in the same mountains where the cocoa plants are harvested and the cocaine is produced. Another one from Bolivia where he searched out the most dangerous area in La Paz and had a walk around. On both occasions he found himself in precarious situations where he had to answer to the locals, but you would expect nothing less if you went to those particular places and started wandering around with a GoPro. 

I watched this guy a few times, I just thought he came across as even creepier and more sleazy than Bald an Bankrupt.

Been watching a few vids from this Australian guy's channel. He seems to be a one-man band machining / engineering / fabrication / repairer of heavy mining machinery.

Nowhere near as fancy as the candy roller restoration, this is real life heavy-duty stuff which I find very informative and interesting. (His dog is ugly.)

• 2 weeks later...

Bald and Bankrupt has said that he was fined £50 for not having the right permit.

The quoted head of Roscosmos, Dmitry Rogozin, is an interesting guy though. Here he is in an earlier life, as a leader of various far right nationalist parties. 

image.jpeg.cc5ea7e9182cb1e8149dabf8dbde8176.jpeg

Interesting flag. 

After this picture was taken Rogozin has held various posts in Russian government, including deputy Prime Minster, a defence minister and ambassador to NATO. 

On 28/04/2022 at 23:53, IrishBhoy said:

So your objection is not that they go to some pretty dangerous places but that they don't take their family and friends with them.

I don't know for certain but I suspect most of my family and friends would say no.

8 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Bald and bankrupt guy gets arrested. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61365446

That'll be confusing for him as he's something of a Russian apologist, but considering the places he goes it's surprising it's taken this long for authorities to give him a slap for filming. 

On 08/05/2022 at 10:40, Fullerene said:

So your objection is not that they go to some pretty dangerous places but that they don't take their family and friends with them.

I don't know for certain but I suspect most of my family and friends would say no.

Well not really. My objection is that they feel comfortable enough to spend long periods of time in foreign countries, completely alone without any of their friends or family with only the comfort of anonymous online viewers to give them validation.

I’m not knocking that decision btw. I wish I was able to have the confidence to do more things alone, but the things I would like to do alone are stuff like hill walking or day trips to a nearby city, not travelling to Kolkatta for 3 months with only a go-pro to keep me company. Each to their own though. 

On 08/05/2022 at 10:49, SweeperDee said:

That'll be confusing for him as he's something of a Russian apologist, but considering the places he goes it's surprising it's taken this long for authorities to give him a slap for filming. 

I think if the Russian authorities take the time to watch any of his content they will realise he actually paints Soviet Russia/Yugoslavia in a much better light than many other people would. He nearly has his pants at his trousers every time he sees an old Soviet mural in some old Kyrgyzstani mining village. 

On 08/05/2022 at 05:49, SweeperDee said:

I believe he’s previously been arrested while filming. If I’m not mistaken he was arrested in Chechnya a while back and was only released after he agreed to film an apology video to the Chechen people. 

I found his videos quite entertaining and informative when I discovered them a couple of years back. There was a series of him traveling in Southern Russia and eventually making it to Azerbaijan that was fascinating. I started to lose a bit of interest though when I read about the past allegations against him. The political comments he makes here and there also turned me off after a while. I haven’t watched the latest videos, but the fact that he’s taking up space on refugee trains in Ukraine and then goes off to Syria from there seems in pretty poor taste. 

The group of people he occasionally meets up with in various countries to shoot with have also all been outed as pick up artist types.

• 2 weeks later...