Jump to content

Peterhead v QP


Recommended Posts

Would just like to mention while everyone’s digging out the pitchfork and lighting their torch, the players who have most let us down this season, namely Kilday, Murray and for most of the term McHugh, we’re all brought to the club by McKinnon. The shining lights have been Fox and Connell, both signed by Ellis. The new fans favourite, Calum Ferrie, is also an Ellis find. I know Connell was with us briefly last season but he must have seen something in Ellis to come back for a full season.

I think this is a classic case of tracksuit coach, liked by players, struggling with all the additional management duties the top job brings. If I’ve profiled Dempster even closely she’ll be hard to work for and completely lacking in tangible support to the coach with anything to do with the playing side. I really don’t see what sacking him will bring, especially if the club can’t add to the player pool. He’s inherited what looks to be too many players who know this is their last full season at full-time, consequently poorly motivated. And he’s stuck with them until at least next summer. But he’s going to have to toughen up. When squads go sour there’s usually only one or two that are troublemakers. He needs to make an example of someone.

Great this professional fitba’, intit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Would just like to mention while everyone’s digging out the pitchfork and lighting their torch, the players who have most let us down this season, namely Kilday, Murray and for most of the term McHugh, we’re all brought to the club by McKinnon. The shining lights have been Fox and Connell, both signed by Ellis. The new fans favourite, Calum Ferrie, is also an Ellis find. I know Connell was with us briefly last season but he must have seen something in Ellis to come back for a full season.

I think this is a classic case of tracksuit coach, liked by players, struggling with all the additional management duties the top job brings. If I’ve profiled Dempster even closely she’ll be hard to work for and completely lacking in tangible support to the coach with anything to do with the playing side. I really don’t see what sacking him will bring, especially if the club can’t add to the player pool. He’s inherited what looks to be too many players who know this is their last full season at full-time, consequently poorly motivated. And he’s stuck with them until at least next summer. But he’s going to have to toughen up. When squads go sour there’s usually only one or two that are troublemakers. He needs to make an example of someone.

Great this professional fitba’, intit?

Two wins in our last ten with that squad in this league isn’t acceptable. Something has to change. He’s Leeann Dempster’s appointment, so she made the call. It’s looking like another in a growing list of calamities and bad calls, albeit some of the calamities were inherited. 

Our next three games are Kilmarnock, Falkirk and Airdrie. Does anyone have any confidence of us getting results out of any of these? Everyone was looking at Clyde, East Fife and Peterhead and thinking nine points. We’ve taken two. Peterhead had eight players out today and couldn’t fill their bench.

This can’t go on, on or off the pitch. A disorganised shambles on the pitch and a management team treating supporters with contempt off it. We deserve to have the pish ripped out of us. A clown car of a football club, at present. 

Edited by an86
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First half was concerned we were going to have another 90 minutes of chasing shadows like last week, conceding another soft goal did not help. Having quite a number of regular starters missing the team held out to half time just one down. Second half was the polar opposite with us winning first & second balls and pressing Queens at every chance. Rusty made a difference with his presence but Grant Savory deservedly won the MOTM award for a fine shift all over the park, if he can carry on like that he will be well worth the 2 year deal he recently got. Important 3 points for us after a lean spell. Notice a few Queens supporters having a go at Simon Murray did shout at him today he may be as well concentrating on his Xmas job as Kevin The Carrot at Aldi with his mop 👨‍🦰

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Would just like to mention while everyone’s digging out the pitchfork and lighting their torch, the players who have most let us down this season, namely Kilday, Murray and for most of the term McHugh, we’re all brought to the club by McKinnon. The shining lights have been Fox and Connell, both signed by Ellis. The new fans favourite, Calum Ferrie, is also an Ellis find. I know Connell was with us briefly last season but he must have seen something in Ellis to come back for a full season.

Well quite clearly Connell isn’t a find from Ellis? McKinnon identified him so you’re quite wrong. I’ve been willing to give the guy a chance but he’s not up to it. He’s had a number of games to prove himself and quite clearly he’s not up to it. Your tone suggests that it’s quite harsh to criticise Ellis? I may be mistaken but it’s quite fullly justified, he’s been an utter shambles. Has one way of playing and he’s proved to have no plan B. To have Simon Murray, Luca Connell etc at league 1 level, we should be doing so much better. Nothings won on paper in football, but the way we’re going, Ellis can swiftly leave 

Edited by qpfc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Also, Ellis may have signed Fox, but he refuses to play him...

Genuinely astounds me that he doesn’t play. I shouted over at full time that should be playing every week and he shrugged his shoulders as if he didn’t know why he wasn’t playing 

Quite clearly the best defender at the club and one of the best in the league IMO 

Edited by qpfc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, an86 said:

Two wins in our last ten with that squad in this league isn’t acceptable. Something has to change. He’s Leeann Dempster’s appointment, so she made the call. It’s looking like another in a growing list of calamities and bad calls, albeit some of the calamities were inherited. 

Our next three games are Kilmarnock, Falkirk and Airdrie. Does anyone have any confidence of us getting results out of any of these? Everyone was looking at Clyde, East Fife and Peterhead and thinking nine points. We’ve taken two. Peterhead had eight players out today and couldn’t fill their bench.

This can’t go on, on or off the pitch. A disorganised shambles on the pitch and a management team treating supporters with contempt off it. We deserve to have the pish ripped out of us. A clown car of a football club, at present. 

Next three league games of Falkirk (h), Airdrie (a) and then Montrose (a). An extremely tough run of fixtures, with Montrose being the toughest imo. Morale will not be at the highest with 2 points in 9 against the bottom 3.

Very interested to see how Queen's react to the dip in results. Can they muster some unlikely wins? What is an achievable total for those games? Having watched QP against Cove I certainly didn't expect the poor run. 

All it takes is a win to turn the corner though.

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

Well quite clearly Connell isn’t a find from Ellis? McKinnon identified him so you’re quite wrong. 

Did you not see the words “I know Connell was with us briefly last season but he must have seen something in Ellis to come back for a full season.” ? Last season. When McKinnon was boss.

Where do you see the words “Ellis found Connell”?

So, who are you thinking should be the new coach? Will the club find someone already doing well at this level or better? Will someone with a track record want to hook up with a club in transition; who can’t fit-out an existing stadium; who gave away their £70m house for £3m; who have maxed the credit card supporting the semi-retired footballers union. I strongly suspect the CEO would be quite content if we end up as honourable runners-up. Whatever is going on at Lochinch, the fans aren’t part of the thought process. Unless it involves buying stuff. Firing the coach won’t change that. Sometimes in business people are set up to fail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kettlewell ticks a couple of boxes. Part of a management duo that won a Championship title with Ross County. Won the U20s league with them as well. Fan favourite as well.

Fling Stark in as a Technical Director and you have something approaching a decent looking team. 

Would it do better than two wins out of ten? Two points of nine against East Fife, Clyde and Peterhead? No way of knowing that for certain, but I’d be fairly confident that it would. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the club will be quite content with Ellis. He is the Patsy chosen by Dempster to fulfil Haughey's wishes about promoting good for the local community and giving him a lasting legacy in the Southside. Football comes second to people like that. The problem now is who would want to come and take on the hot seat to be told that the first team is playing second fiddle to personal ambitions away from the pitch? In many ways I feel sorry for Ellis, although he seems incapable of helping himself with the squad he has. Our club is slowly being destroyed by these people. We may regret picking up Haughey's golden egg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Did you not see the words “I know Connell was with us briefly last season but he must have seen something in Ellis to come back for a full season.” ? Last season. When McKinnon was boss.

Where do you see the words “Ellis found Connell”?

So, who are you thinking should be the new coach? Will the club find someone already doing well at this level or better? Will someone with a track record want to hook up with a club in transition; who can’t fit-out an existing stadium; who gave away their £70m house for £3m; who have maxed the credit card supporting the semi-retired footballers union. I strongly suspect the CEO would be quite content if we end up as honourable runners-up. Whatever is going on at Lochinch, the fans aren’t part of the thought process. Unless it involves buying stuff. Firing the coach won’t change that. Sometimes in business people are set up to fail.

“Both signed by Ellis” quite clearly a suggestion that you’re insinuating that Ellis was the influential figure in brining Connell to QP ? Sometimes realising you made a mistake provides a strong alternative that benefits the club. I don’t doubt he’s a good coach but his role in the qp management role might quite overwhelming at this point. We should of appointed someone that knew how to keep the Playing side on track, whilst off field matters are dealt with 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I think the club will be quite content with Ellis. He is the Patsy chosen by Dempster to fulfil Haughey's wishes about promoting good for the local community and giving him a lasting legacy in the Southside. Football comes second to people like that. The problem now is who would want to come and take on the hot seat to be told that the first team is playing second fiddle to personal ambitions away from the pitch? In many ways I feel sorry for Ellis, although he seems incapable of helping himself with the squad he has. Our club is slowly being destroyed by these people. We may regret picking up Haughey's golden egg.

Don’t agree with a lot of this. This squad is more than good enough to be winning games of football in this league. Ellis has inherited and added to one of the better sides in the division and is not getting nearly enough out of it. Where Dempster’s blame comes in is that she appointed him and green lighted the structures around him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe the root cause of the present bad run is that the quality of the Queen's squad is not what many of the supporters had imagined it to be. It's all too easy to put all the blame on the head coach. There's no guarantee that anyone else would do any better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, an86 said:

Kettlewell ticks a couple of boxes. Part of a management duo that won a Championship title with Ross County. Won the U20s league with them as well. Fan favourite as well.

Fling Stark in as a Technical Director and you have something approaching a decent looking team. 

Would it do better than two wins out of ten? Two points of nine against East Fife, Clyde and Peterhead? No way of knowing that for certain, but I’d be fairly confident that it would. 

Ketts - yes, did well as a duo and was then given the solo job. Sacked before Christmas. But he’s been out of work for a year so might be hungry enough. Also heard he was back in Glasgow a while ago. Did you mean him as a replacement or partner for Ellis?

Stark - think he’s comfy where he is. What incentive would he have coming back to league football. I’d imagine the SFA wallahs sitting across the road having a good giggle at their old landlords just now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I think the club will be quite content with Ellis. He is the Patsy chosen by Dempster to fulfil Haughey's wishes about promoting good for the local community and giving him a lasting legacy in the Southside. Football comes second to people like that. The problem now is who would want to come and take on the hot seat to be told that the first team is playing second fiddle to personal ambitions away from the pitch? In many ways I feel sorry for Ellis, although he seems incapable of helping himself with the squad he has. Our club is slowly being destroyed by these people. We may regret picking up Haughey's golden egg.

Precisely this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Ketts - yes, did well as a duo and was then given the solo job. Sacked before Christmas. But he’s been out of work for a year so might be hungry enough. Also heard he was back in Glasgow a while ago. Did you mean him as a replacement or partner for Ellis?

Stark - think he’s comfy where he is. What incentive would he have coming back to league football. I’d imagine the SFA wallahs sitting across the road having a good giggle at their old landlords just now.

Replacement. Today was the day I completely lost faith in Ellis. Peterhead couldn’t fill their bench, had several first team players out injured and beat a team of full-timers who have a setup that some sides in higher leagues would envy. I don’t know what our game plan was and I don’t think the players did either. Two points from those last three games and yet another collapse is the end of the line for me. Reminds me of Roberts. The players may like him, but do they respect/fear him? Tough to move from being the players’ pal to bring their gaffer. 

The question that was asked was who could do any better? I’d turn it round and ask who could do any worse? We’ll be nowhere near the top four of this doesn’t change. We’re a soft touch, on and off the park. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, I Zingari said:

Maybe the root cause of the present bad run is that the quality of the Queen's squad is not what many of the supporters had imagined it to be. It's all too easy to put all the blame on the head coach. There's no guarantee that anyone else would do any better.

I have to be honest, I really don't know where the problem lies at the moment, but this has crossed my mind. Certainly from where we were at times in League 2 this seems an impressive collection of talent in every position. Despite the inevitable comments of 'circling the drain', 'jobbers', 'dugshite', we have recruited players with proven experience and success from higher leagues.

Are they inferior, or are they not focused as a team? Peterhead got a bloody nose last week and they needed a reaction. They outplayed us in the second half and were first to everything. I've been hoping for a reaction every week since the Alloa defeat.

On the one hand it's early days and we have to be happy with topping the division for so long, our undefeated run and early defensive form, it just seems to be unravelling fast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, I Zingari said:

Maybe the root cause of the present bad run is that the quality of the Queen's squad is not what many of the supporters had imagined it to be. It's all too easy to put all the blame on the head coach. There's no guarantee that anyone else would do any better.

That doesn’t wash because we’ve seen the quality in action. On our day, we’ve played football that most of the teams in this league would be unable to match. The consistency is the problem. Nobody is going to convince me that a squad including guys like Muir, Doyle, Fox, Connell, Brown, Longridge and Murray shouldn’t be winning a reasonable amount of football matches in this league.

Are people seriously suggesting that the team we had out there today didn’t have enough quality to make a decent fist of getting the better of the third bottom side in the league, who couldn’t fill their bench because they were ravaged by injury?

Are people seriously suggesting that the team we had out last week didn’t have enough quality to make a decent fist of getting the better of a side who brought on a guy who was an extremely average amateur squad player for us in League Two?

Are people seriously suggesting that the team we had out the week before that wasn’t good enough to make a decent fist of getting the better of a team who got pumped by the team above, today?

It’s just not a credible line of argument. Nobody expects to win every week. Any one of the last three results and other poor ones before could be accepted in isolation. Bad results will happen. It’s a pattern now, though. If we don’t believe there’s a manager somewhere on this planet, who would come to Queen’s Park, who couldn’t do better than two wins in ten with what they have at their disposal in terms of players, staff and facilities, then we’re as well reforming as a Morris dancing club or something. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...