Motherwell vs JTs 20/11/21

We were excellent, almost the opposite of our usual this year, plenty shots, plenty of pressing from the front and just generally looking threatening going forward.

Collum was his usual weird self, let the Hearts 14 away with a lot of fouls, particular two almost back to back to break up a counter attack. The second yellow was the correct decision however, shields was on his way clear, albeit not going directly in on goal but he was beyond the last defenders and bought the contact.

Like others, thought when Boyce came on we might see some difference from Hearts but it was more of the same, can only recall Kelly having to make a couple of absolutely regulation saves whereas as Gordon had a good stop from Maguire just after the first goal and an absolutely world class double save late on - him losing it was incredibly funny, same with Souttar late on too, thanks for Monday n that, but that was satisfying.

Was looking forwarded to seeing Baningime play as he’s been talked up a lot by the Terrace guys, but I thought he was pretty poor and largely anonymous on a midfield being dominated by Barry Maguire and Sean Goss.

Collum did somethings today which were utterly baffling. Mainly Stopping the game for a guy getting hit in the baws with the ball.

Craig Gordon was FURIOUS today and I think I enjoyed that more than the game/result. Give me every bit of that.

Lamie & Mugabi were excellent today. Sol too
Shields was great, ran all day. Goss was good too, he's a bit slack at times but his delivery is exceptional.

I hate Hearts. Get it up them.

One consolation I got from the loss at Tynecastle was that Baningame was good to watch. I'm glad he enjoyed watching the game today.

This is a weird season, and so much weirdness still to come. Some teams (including us) got too much hype early on, when the reality is there's next to nothing between the bottom ten. I'm sorry we didn't let hearts break up the Glasgow teams for a couple of weeks. I'd expect teams with alleged quality to do something about that, but maybe some players are only good when they're allowed to be.

Gordon is quality though, hopefully he plays until he's 50.

Cracking day out, most I've enjoyed a game for a fair while. Always good to put the gas of a large, expectant travelling support at a peep, which we did from fairly early on.

High press, with lots of energy and commitment to close Hearts down every time they were in possession was great to watch. Pass marks for every single one of our payers today, even the much maligned McGinley. Lamie came in and was very assured throughout, topping it off with the 2nd goal. I really like Ojala but the Bathgate Maldini will rightly feel aggrieved if he is benched next time out after today's showing.

Watt gave everything, Woolery had his best game yet and was a real threat with his direct running. Shields energy levels were exceptional right til the end, seriously rapid when he gets going and I fancy today's goal to be the first of many going forward. 

As for Hearts, expected a lot, but aside from our excellent work to contain them, they were one of the most meh away teams at Fir Park this season. Early season bubble burst, or temporary blip?

WE'VE GOT A MIDFIELD!!!

When we do Murderball well, it is entertaining - and I really enjoyed that today - 90 mins flew past. The level of low level shithousery from us was out of this world - Neilson and Gordon were *raging* (Gordon's petted lip at the end as he didn't shake hands with anyone bar Liam Kelly was deliciously tinpot, as was the sight of Neilson walking all the way to the NE corner to moan at Collum after an entirely uncontroversial loss).

For us it was the cliched "no failures" performance - Lamie's redemption arc is now officially complete, MOTM for me. I thought Sheilds showed presumably why we threw a long deal at him - was a massive pain in the arse to the Hearts defence in the best traditions of annoying wee bastarts like McDonald and Arnott. Goss and Slattery both had a good game at the same time and that meant we competed with one of the best midfields in the league.

We suckered Hearts into a game that suited us and they were never at the races and I wasn't particularly concerned at any stage after we went a goal up - after the red card, we strolled it.

After the Rangers humping, I looked at our fixture list and wondering where our points were coming from and now we're 6/6 against Aberdeen and Hearts and are only 3 points behind Utd and Hearts who've been getting the plaudits so far. 

41 minutes ago, Swello said:

The level of low level shithousery from us was out of this world - Neilson and Gordon were *raging*

Absolutely this. We were fantastic today pretty much too a man. But I really admire how streetwise a team we have become. Opposition fans will hate it but I love it. We are so adept at killing the game. Wasting time here and there. So many times before we have been a soft touch well not under Alexander. 

Like the result v Aberdeen I never saw that coming. But unlike the Aberdeen result it was fully deserved as oppose to partially deserved. We were on the front foot form the get go. We pressed Hearts all over the pitch and never let them settle or really gain any momentum. I feel we have been lucky to win games but not today. Hope we can keep this going for the tayside double header coming up. 

It is genuinely hard to pick a MOM. What is refreshing is that we apparently have strength in depth. Lamie and Bevis are like starters as oppose to back up players for Sol and Ojala.  If I am not mistaken that is now the 5th game we have won with Bevis as right back as oppose to the 1 with SODs. I see no need to change it for Dundee away next week. 

I don’t really understand how the second goal is conceded, the defenders and attackers all held their formation as they moved towards the goal when the ball came in.  Why did a defender not go to the ball and clear it? 

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Absolutely this. We were fantastic today pretty much too a man. But I really admire how streetwise a team we have become. Opposition fans will hate it but I love it. We are so adept at killing the game. Wasting time here and there. So many times before we have been a soft touch well not under Alexander. 

Like the result v Aberdeen I never saw that coming. But unlike the Aberdeen result it was fully deserved as oppose to partially deserved. We were on the front foot form the get go. We pressed Hearts all over the pitch and never let them settle or really gain any momentum. I feel we have been lucky to win games but not today. Hope we can keep this going for the tayside double header coming up. 

It is genuinely hard to pick a MOM. What is refreshing is that we apparently have strength in depth. Lamie and Bevis are like starters as oppose to back up players for Sol and Ojala.  If I am not mistaken that is now the 5th game we have won with Bevis as right back as oppose to the 1 with SODs. I see no need to change it for Dundee away next week. 

100%. Ojala and KVV likely to be available again and SOD's as captain pushing for contention, but every single one of today's starting 11 deserve to keep the jerseys. A rampaging Mugabi down that right line is a joy to behold.

I think we really missed Halkett today as Souttar in the middle of the 3 isn't anywhere near as good having to go and head everything.  Not winning first balls cost us all day.

First half i could understand us keeping the same teamas United even though I'd have started Boyce, but to come out after halftime with the same 11 was ridiculous.  We had no height on the park and motherwell won about 80% of headers in the middle of the park.

If you don't win your battles, you can't play football.

5 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I think we really missed Halkett today as Souttar in the middle of the 3 isn't anywhere near as good having to go and head everything.  Not winning first balls cost us all day.

First half i could understand us keeping the same teamas United even though I'd have started Boyce, but to come out after halftime with the same 11 was ridiculous.  We had no height on the park and motherwell won about 80% of headers in the middle of the park.

If you don't win your battles, you can't play football.

We did miss him. Not just the defence either. It also impacted on the midfield moving Moore out of the RWB role. Against Dundee United he was helping out the midfield, and Smith sadly just doesn’t seem to be as effective at that. Moore was my man of the match in our last game, and without him helping out Beni and Devlin, they got overrun.