Motherwell vs JTs 20/11/21

Suspect Robbie will bring Smith and Boyce straight back in. I hope he doesn’t though, because that was our best performance in years a couple of weeks ago v United. I’d be seeing if it works as well again, away from home, and bringing Boyce on later in the game, if possible. Also, as much as I love old Mikey Smith, Moore was absolutely outstanding in his last game. Players deserve to keep their places after performances like that. Nothing is more likely to cause a player to stop performing, like patiently waiting his turn, and doing really when it comes around, only to then be benched.

Just found out my lieu day application at work for tomorrow has been granted, so delighted with that and looking forward to the game.

A big one to be missing key players for, so hopefully Ojala makes it. Van Veen being out is a blow but we've still got enough up top to cause Hearts problems. Shields' workrate and physicality has impressed me enough so far to be fairly content that a likely starting front 3 of him, Watt and Woolery can do some damage, it's getting them service from our often non-existent midfield that will be the problem.

Can see a few goals in this one, with 'Well hopefully edging it. 2-1 home win please, thank you.

16 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

Suspect Robbie will bring Smith and Boyce straight back in. I hope he doesn’t though, because that was our best performance in years a couple of weeks ago v United. I’d be seeing if it works as well again, away from home, and bringing Boyce on later in the game, if possible. Also, as much as I love old Mikey Smith, Moore was absolutely outstanding in his last game. Players deserve to keep their places after performances like that. Nothing is more likely to cause a player to stop performing, like patiently waiting his turn, and doing really when it comes around, only to then be benched.

I would also stick with Moore at RWB and a front three of McKay, Ginnelly and Woodburn, with Smith and Boyce starting on the bench.

My guess, though, is that Smith will replace Moore,  but that Boyce will come off the bench at some point. 

The main thing is the performance, so we'll have to up for it from the start. 

21 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I would also stick with Moore at RWB and a front three of McKay, Ginnelly and Woodburn, with Smith and Boyce starting on the bench.

My guess, though, is that Smith will replace Moore,  but that Boyce will come off the bench at some point. 

The main thing is the performance, so we'll have to up for it from the start. 

I have been pretty critical of managers’ pre-match decisions, on plenty of occasions, and usually I’ve called it wrong. We don’t get to see the players in training, and we don’t have honest conversations with them regarding their fitness.

I’d love to see us start the way we did against Dundee United, but at the same time, I’m acutely aware that there’s a reason why my preferences are not worth a shitty titty compared to the manager’s.

Motherwell are not the same team as Dundee United, and away games are different to home games.

Who knows. Personally, I think it’s just because I was so impressed with the way we played v United, that I want the same again. So many reasons why that might not be possible this weekend though.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I've not really seen much of Hearts this season, they've a good squad but I might hesitantly suggest they look like they could struggle to break down teams that give them 70% possession and defend from deep?

That’s what we have Gnanduillet for, in theory anyway, doesn’t really seem to work very often however. ☹️

Surely the Motherwell plan won’t be to sit in and give Hearts the ball at Fir Park though? Season ticket holders must be having an absolute riot this season, if so. 😄

Edited by Kyle Reese

54 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

That’s what we have Gnanduillet for, in theory anyway, doesn’t really seem to work very often however. ☹️

Surely the Motherwell plan won’t be to sit in and give Hearts the ball at Fir Park though? Season ticket holders must be having an absolute riot this season, if so. 😄

:lol: have a look at our possession stats. I'm not as bothered as others because I think it's broadly working but aye, there's been grumblings.

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

:lol: have a look at our possession stats. I'm not as bothered as others because I think it's broadly working but aye, there's been grumblings.

Yeah, I’m only being half serious tbh. Not exactly unheard of at Tynecastle  either. 👍

I thought Motherwell looked good when we played them at our place earlier in the season. Our two goals were from set-pieces, but it would have been interesting to see how the game had progressed if we hadn’t got them. You looked a pretty ‘robust’ side, but there was ability there too. I was surprised that you fell away quite sharply after that match. 

Not as worried about the inclusion of Lamie in Ojala's absence as I would have been a month or two ago. In his last couple of cameo's he's been fairly solid and steady.

A lack of creativity in midfield is still my biggest concern, assists at Pittodrie aside, Goss has been fairly anonymous so far and really needs to step it up. Still think it will be a good watch today, and following a few pre-match beers I'm sticking with my prediction of a 2-1 home win. COYW.

Screenshot_20211120-135652_Twitter.jpg