Low Volume Drums

Fullerene

Has anyone had much experience with these?

I have a drum kit but I also have neighbours.  This meant towels on the drum skins or rubber pads.  Neither of these were much good and the bass drum was still too loud.

I once had a Yahama drum machine but that was problematic.  Struggled to get a double kick and it was unnatural.

Thought about getting an electronic kit.  However, the Music Shop suggested low volume skins and low volume cymbals.  What a difference.  Now I can practice on an ascoustic kit without annoying the neighbours.

Will ask my mate about devices that reduce noise - he only mentioned this yesterday.

Some electronic kits are ok.

There are also 'air drums' which take up very little space - I think those are used with a Play Station or some such.

There are rehearsal studios in Edinburgh that do special deals for drummers who want to practice - no sure how you're fixed for that where you are, but it may be worth asking local studios?

6 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Will ask my mate about devices that reduce noise - he only mentioned this yesterday.

He says they're "Mesh heads and still cymbals that are 20% volume.  Ebay have good deals on acoustic mesh heads and still cymbals from Thomann'.

Not sure if that helps you, Fullerene.

35 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

He says they're "Mesh heads and still cymbals that are 20% volume.  Ebay have good deals on acoustic mesh heads and still cymbals from Thomann'.

Not sure if that helps you, Fullerene.

Forgot to mention.   I have already got the Remo Silent stroke  drum skins.  I had to replace the existing skins with these which is time consuming but not that bad.  They are so much quieter - I can talk over them.!  Also they have a similar response to normal skins.

I was wondering if anyone saw a downside. 

I also got low volume Stagg cymbals.  Still a bit loud but in terms of neighbours obviously less of an issue than drums.

Obviously all the YouTube clips suggest Zwiglian are the ones to go for but I am not too concerned.

I like your suggestion about rehearsal studios.  I suspect there might be someting similar up here in Inverness.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Forgot to mention.   I have already got the Remo Silent stroke  drum skins.  I had to replace the existing skins with these which is time consuming but not that bad.  They are so much quieter - I can talk over them.!  Also they have a similar response to normal skins.

I was wondering if anyone saw a downside. 

I also got low volume Stagg cymbals.  Still a bit loud but in terms of neighbours obviously less of an issue than drums.

Obviously all the YouTube clips suggest Zwiglian are the ones to go for but I am not too concerned.

I like your suggestion about rehearsal studios.  I suspect there might be someting similar up here in Inverness.

I always think the biggest problem would be with the bass drum - even if there's no sound, there will always be the impact of your foot on the floor. 

If studios in Inverness don't already have deals in place for drummers, it can be a decent wee earner for them rather than have rooms lying empty. 

31 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I always think the biggest problem would be with the bass drum - even if there's no sound, there will always be the impact of your foot on the floor. 

If studios in Inverness don't already have deals in place for drummers, it can be a decent wee earner for them rather than have rooms lying empty. 

Yes.  The big booming bass drum is normally the problem.   However I just did a quick test.  Even stamping down on the kick I could still talk over it.

I wish I had known about these years ago.