2021 Playoff Picture

lichtie23

It's not offensive, I just don't understand why you'd actively harm your teams' chances by benching your best QB because of one low-effort play after a turnover that he wasn't responsible for, especially so when it's a player who has already suffered one catastrophic and near career-ending injury. I think it's entirely understandable why starting QB Teddy Bridgewater isn't really of a mind to be throwing his body around trying to tackle people. If his job was a full-time defensive player and he showed that lack of effort, then yes, I'd totally agree with you. It's unlikely a defensive player who had lost interest in that side of the game would be on the field anyway, but how many more tackles are you expecting your QB to have to make this season?

Is he showing a total lack of effort at actually QB'ing, because I haven't seen any evidence of that from what I've seen of him so far this season. If he was QB'ing the team 60+ snaps per game with the same lack of commitment and effort shown on that one play then I think you'd be absolutely correct to be calling for his benching if it hadn't already happened.

Travis Benjamin is a far more egregious example of a player who is totally stealing a living. I lost count of the number of times he either refused to attempt to catch a pass because of an impending collision, or ran out of bounds with acres of space in front of him because he wanted no part of being tackled while carrying the ball. Somehow, the guy still has a job as an NFL WR, but his total lack of commitment and disinterest in getting involved physically in an inherently physical game used to infuriate Chargers fans every single week. The crucial difference is it's Travis Bnejamin's job to contest catches and move the ball down the field regardless of any potential physical contact, whereas Bridgewater's task is almost exclusively to hand the ball off and throw it downfield. Benjamin doesn't even have TB's injury history to fall back on, so yes, I know how infuriating it is to see one of your team's players sell-out his teammates like that, but it's one singular play which in which he's not particularly likely to find himself in that exact position any time soon, oh, and with the mitigating circumstances. Benjamin doesn't have any excuses, he's simply a coward and totally gutless, but that doesn't lead to him getting benched or ostracised by his teammates for some reason.

So in the NFC the Cardinals are back to being the number 1 seed with the Packers dropping to 2. The Panthers drop out all together with the Vikings replacing them in the top 7. 

In the AFC the Titans stay the number 1 seed even though they lost to the 1-8 Texans on Sunday. The Ravens jump to the 2nd seed while the Patriots now lead the AFC East and are the number 3 seed. The Bills are biggest fallers moving from the 2nd to the 7th seed. The Bengals replace the Steelers in the top 7.

So in the NFC the top 5 seeds stay the same but the 49ers jump into the 6th seed and Washington are now the 7th seeds after their win on Monday night. The Vikings and Saints drop out.

In the AFC the Ravens are now the top seeds replacing the Titans who drop to 3rd. The Patriots jump a place to number 2. The Bills and Chargers swap places. 

On 18/11/2021 at 11:13, RiG said:

Surely the Saints, with Trevor Siemian and no WRs, are going to fall away?

From a 49ers perspective this looks a very good shout. Beating the Vikings really puts the Niners back into serious contention for the play offs which is utterly bonkers as I don't think there have been that many good SF performances this season.

With just six games left to go there are 3 pretty winnable ones there (@ Seattle, Falcons and Texans), an intriguing matchup against the Rams who are just one game ahead now and two pretty difficult looking road trips to Cinci and Tennessee. It might all come down to the last game @ LA which will be some way to end the season.

So in the NFC the Cardinals stay number 1 seed as the top 5 stay the same. Washington jump to 6th seed with San Fran dropping to 7. 

in the AFC the Patriots take over as number 1 seeds with the Titans now 2nd and the Ravens dropping from 1st to 3rd. Chiefs stay 4th but the Chargers jump from 7 to 5. Bengals and Bills both drop 1 spot.

The Houston Texans are the 1st team officially eliminated from playoff contention  

Edited by lichtie23