2021 Playoff Picture

lichtie23

Yup. A couple of weeks ago it was being talked about as possibly the toughest division in the NFL thanks to the Raiders, LAC, and Denver all overperforming through Sept/Oct. Despite that, I think the reality is that every single team in the division is mediocre at best, and in all likelihood 10-11 wins could be enough to win it.

Raiders are doing their annual disappearing act/meltdown, KC and LAC's defenses are total binfires, and Denver is just a bit meh all around. If one of them can hold it together in the remainder of the Divisional matchups and go .500 the rest of the way then they'll be in with a shout, but I don't think it'll be settled until week 18. KC is as likely to revert to the garbage they've been since week 1 as they are build on the win over LV, as usual the Chargers can't play a complete game and are totally Jekyll and Hyde from one week to the next, Raiders are just doing typical Raiders things, and I think that Denver is just lagging a bit behind all three opponents in terms of overall talent on the roster.

It's anyone's division, but equally I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the four of them fold completely and end up with a losing season.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

People had the Chiefs dead and buried a few weeks ago. I’m also pretty sure the Bengals were the number 2 seed before losing to the Browns. 

Some people :P. I said back when the Chargers were 4-1 and sitting in the 1 seed that I still had KC down as favourites for the Division crown, but that's because I was still fairly sure that the rest of the division was totally over-performing at the time and wouldn't be able to maintain it, whereas KC was horrendously under-performing, even though I don't believe they're a particularly good team in any case.

Bengals similar. I still think the only really good team in the AFC is the Bills, and I fully acknowledge they lost a laugher to the Jags. Any team is capable of having an off-day, but I think when all is said and done the Bills are still the only AFC team with all the pieces necessary to go all the way. Baltimore is strong and well coached, but Jackson is just as likely to have one of those games where he looks like a clueless rookie RB playing QB as he is to go off on one, and that lack of consistency will be their undoing in a string of elimination games. Tenn has coped better than I thought without Henry, but nobody seems to have noticed that they were inevitably going to break him by relying on him to the degree that they were. I think they'll run into a game or two where the opponent shuts down their ground game without him, and despite the past season and a bit, I don't have any faith in Tannehill and the Titans' receiver corps to be able to put a shootout on their own backs and win a do-or-die matchup. KC has just reverted back to being another one of those awful lop-sided teams that struggle any time they are prevented from scoring 40+ points.

As for the others, I think LAC, LV, Den, NE, are all at least one off-season away from being legit contenders, whereas I see the Steelers more as drinking in the last chance saloon before a few years in the wilderness, and as for Cleveland, who knows. They have all the talent in the world, but for some reason they can't seem to hook it up on a regular basis and frequently look like no-hopers. Almost Charger-like in the inconsistency and continual underperformance.

11 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yup. A couple of weeks ago it was being talked about as possibly the toughest division in the NFL thanks to the Raiders, LAC, and Denver all overperforming through Sept/Oct. Despite that, I think the reality is that every single team in the division is mediocre at best, and in all likelihood 10-11 wins could be enough to win it.

Raiders are doing their annual disappearing act/meltdown, KC and LAC's defenses are total binfires, and Denver is just a bit meh all around. If one of them can hold it together in the remainder of the Divisional matchups and go .500 the rest of the way then they'll be in with a shout, but I don't think it'll be settled until week 18. KC is as likely to revert to the garbage they've been since week 1 as they are build on the win over LV, as usual the Chargers can't play a complete game and are totally Jekyll and Hyde from one week to the next, Raiders are just doing typical Raiders things, and I think that Denver is just lagging a bit behind all three opponents in terms of overall talent on the roster.

It's anyone's division, but equally I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the four of them fold completely and end up with a losing season.

This season’s AFC West is turning into last season’s NFC East. Someone will win it, but no-one looks like they want to win it, and no-one who supports one of the other twenty-eight other teams cares who wins it. 😀

Denver are, in my opinion, a quarterback, a head coach, and an offensive co-ordinator away from even being close to being considered contenders.

19 hours ago, pozbaird said:

This season’s AFC West is turning into last season’s NFC East. Someone will win it, but no-one looks like they want to win it, and no-one who supports one of the other twenty-eight other teams cares who wins it. 😀

Denver are, in my opinion, a quarterback, a head coach, and an offensive co-ordinator away from even being close to being considered contenders.

I don't mind the QB, a half way decent Offensive coordinator with plays from this century can get this offence moving with Bridgewater under center.

Fangio hasn't worked out, good defensive coordinator but makes way too many mistakes as a head coach and hasn't really grown into the role.

if we can get an upgrade at QB fine, but i would be happy with Teddy for another season at least.

I've always thought Bridgewater was a perfectly serviceable QB, probably above average as a starter, but he's not a difference maker so I can only really see him being a long-term fixture in Denver if they build themselves into one of those teams that doesn't depend on elevated QB play, but I don't see them persisting with him for that long. I wanted him in LAC as the bridge QB between Rivers and Herbert as he's definitely a better option than the likes of Tyrod Taylor, and I say that as someone with a softspot for TT.

32 minutes ago, steelmen said:

I don't mind the QB, a half way decent Offensive coordinator with plays from this century can get this offence moving with Bridgewater under center.

Fangio hasn't worked out, good defensive coordinator but makes way too many mistakes as a head coach and hasn't really grown into the role.

if we can get an upgrade at QB fine, but i would be happy with Teddy for another season at least.

I’m not happy with a shitebag who never even tried a block. Even Fangio, not normally one for public criticism, laid into Bridgewater. I’m not suggesting he should have thrown himself into a tackle like Troy Polamalu or anything, but he absolutely shat it, and let his entire team down. Yes, he suffered an injury a season or two back, but FFS what about Alex Smith or Dak Prescott, Joe Burrow or RGIII. Or any number of others.

Personally, I hope the door doesn’t hit Bridgewater’s arse on the way out.

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, RiG said:

Surely the Saints, with Trevor Siemian and no WRs, are going to fall away?

Sean Payton is a pretty good coach. They probably should have beat the Titans on Sunday. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised to see them in the playoffs come January 

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Is it Pat Shurmur calling offensive plays for the Broncos?

unfortunately 

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I’m not happy with a shitebag who never even tried a block. Even Fangio, not normally one for public criticism, laid into Bridgewater. I’m not suggesting he should have thrown himself into a tackle like Troy Polamalu or anything, but he absolutely shat it, and let his entire team down. Yes, he suffered an injury a season or two back, but FFS what about Alex Smith or Dak Prescott, Joe Burrow or RGIII. Or any number of others.

Personally, I hope the door doesn’t hit Bridgewater’s arse on the way out.

it wasn't a good play and he's held his hands up to it but taking a flyer on another unknown isn't an option. Now if Rodgers or A N Other established QB is available then I reserve the right to change my opinion but as of right now, as long as we have different OC calling the plays, i am happy with Teddy to continue.

2 hours ago, steelmen said:

unfortunately 

it wasn't a good play and he's held his hands up to it but taking a flyer on another unknown isn't an option. Now if Rodgers or A N Other established QB is available then I reserve the right to change my opinion but as of right now, as long as we have different OC calling the plays, i am happy with Teddy to continue.

Guess it’s one of those situations where we’ll need to agree to disagree. In my view, no matter who starts at QB, this Broncos team, at best, looks like a ‘7 and 10’ team. I’d bench Bridgewater and start Drew Lock. I also sincerely hope that the draft picks in the Von Miller trade may be used to trade up, with a view to the Broncos maybe being able to secure a QB who normally, they don’t get the chance to pick.

At the very least, there’s no way I’d start Bridgewater over Lock in the next Broncos game. His arse should be riding pine. I’ve watched that Eagles TD back a few times, and Bridgewater’s shitebag act looks worse every time you see it. I also don’t think he held his hands up to any degree, he came out with some pish about trying to show the guy inside, so a team mate might stop him. Complete fcuking bullshit…Just my opinion.

Edited by pozbaird

There are hundreds of NFL QB's past and present would want no part of tackling a ball carrier. It's just not something they're trained and practiced in, so I think it's a bit OTT to want to bench your best starter because of one minimal effort play as a defender. To be honest, I don't really want the one most vital player on the roster risking himself getting a season-ending injury simply to try and alter the outcome of one play, when that would more or less mean the season being a wipe for the entire team.

Do you also get incensed when your kicker/punter isn't the first guy down the field de-cleating the returner?

Edited by Boo Khaki

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

There are hundreds of NFL QB's past and present would want no part of tackling a ball carrier. It's just not something they're trained and practiced in, so I think it's a bit OTT to want to bench your best starter because of one minimal effort play as a defender. To be honest, I don't really want the one most vital player on the roster risking himself getting a season-ending injury simply to try and alter the outcome of one play, when that would more or less mean the season being a wipe for the entire team.

Do you also get incensed when your kicker/punter isn't the first guy down the field de-cleating the returner?

If you read my post again, I said I didn’t necessarily want to see Bridgewater attempt a Troy Polamalu crunching tackle, but if you look at that play again, it developed a fair bit before the Eagles player even reached Bridgewater, the guy was far from steaming towards Bridgewater at full pelt, and Bridgewater was right there, right beside the guy. Absolutely, 100% absolutely, I expected him to at least raise both arms and attempt a block of some sort. He should have made an effort, tried. Even just jumped in front of the guy to slow him down. He turned away and let him saunter past without any effort.

He shat it, plain and simple. A normally quiet head coach knows he shat it. His team mates will know he shat it - in a close game. I’d bench him for Drew Lock. 

Edited by pozbaird

11 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

So you'd actively make the team worse for the remainder of the season, because an offensive player made minimal effort to make a tackle after one of his skill position players put the ball on the ground?

If anyone needs benched, it's Melvin Gordon.

Just finished watching Patriots at Falcons. Third quarter, Mac Jones throws an INT and tackles the Falcons runner. Garbage time in the fourth, Josh Rosen throws a pick, and with the game already done, runs down Van Noy and tries to push him out.

Just saying like. Yeah, I’d absolutely bench Bridgewater. I genuinely apologise if this view is so offensive to anyone. I’m not for changing it.