The Coffee Shop Thread

On 17/11/2021 at 13:57, pozbaird said:

Last time I was in Sydney, three years ago, there was a superb independent coffee scene there. The only Starbucks we saw was at Wynyard train station. Having said that, the best coffee we had in Sydney was in the big Westfield shopping mall on Pitt Street. A proper Italian place up amongst the food court outlets.

Had a few coffees though that were simply bog standard, no better than a Starbucks coffees. Just because a place is independent, studenty, a bit different, doesn’t guarantee anything. Sometimes all it guarantees is that the place is run by wanky beardy studenty types.

So, on balance, I would say Sydney had an excellent coffee culture scene, but I think a sweeping generalisation such as coffee in the UK is rubbish, it’s watery pish, badly made, crap - and Australia is simply better, is, frankly, bollocks. 😀

The kiwi's know their coffee too. Lived in NZ for two years. I bought a coffee almost every day and I can remember the three mediocre coffees I got during that time because they stood out so much. This includes the work canteen which did coffee better than the vast majority of high street cafes in Scotland. 

Frothy Bike in Dumfries is tremendous. Great scones too. Just reopened after numerous closures over the last few months due to staff shortages, covid etc.

Since moving a few miles out of town we’ve been going to the cafe in Ae Forest a lot. The coffee and cake are tremendous so I’d recommend it if you’re in the area. Ae is one of the 7Stanes mountain biking trails so the perfect place to go after you’ve been in the forest.

• 3 weeks later...

I really do loathe myself for seeming to opt for the chain shit, mainly because I am driving somewhere so end going through drive thru’s.

I mainly just have double espressos but avoid Starbucks as it is bitter as f**k, that bad I put sugar in it which I never usually do.

Anyway Im about to purchase an ebike so may frequent coffee shops in town more. Any recommendations for Stirling or Falkirk area? 

I really do loathe myself for seeming to opt for the chain shit, mainly because I am driving somewhere so end going through drive thru’s.
I mainly just have double espressos but avoid Starbucks as it is bitter as f**k, that bad I put sugar in it which I never usually do.
Anyway Im about to purchase an ebike so may frequent coffee shops in town more. Any recommendations for Stirling or Falkirk area? 

Yes, Rost in Larbert.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
16 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Yes, Rost in Larbert.

Ah just checked location and could be a handy spot for me on way out to a pals I often visit in Stenhousemuir, and a potential hangover stop on way back.

Ah just checked location and could be a handy spot for me on way out to a pals I often visit in Stenhousemuir, and a potential hangover stop on way back.
Canny mind if its called a New York, but they do a quality "New York" style pastrami sandwich. Recommend.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Yes, Rost in Larbert.

Seconded. Don't f**k about with their americano/latte stuff, just get wired into the filter coffee. It's always class. Get massive slabs of caramel shortcake* as well which are also class. 

*anyone who calls this millionaire slice/millionaire shortcake or a variation of is a w**k. 

Edited by CountyFan

• 4 months later...
On 17/11/2021 at 00:13, oaksoft said:

Honestly, right now I'm happy to be less picky.

Any coffee shop which doesn't have in place any restrictions at all and I do mean AT ALL is likely to win my business.

If they have so much as a polite masking sign on their window (even if they don't enforce it) and I'll never shop there out of principle.

:lol: 

That's it mate, take back your freedom!!1!!11