The Coffee Shop Thread

Strange to see McDonalds coffee being mentioned in the Coffee Shop thread. Presumably these will be take-aways as I can't think of anything worse than trying to sit back and enjoy a coffee and a cake in one of their places. Well, except getting a coffee from a Costa machine. 

4 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Strange to see McDonalds coffee being mentioned in the Coffee Shop thread. Presumably these will be take-aways as I can't think of anything worse than trying to sit back and enjoy a coffee and a cake in one of their places. Well, except getting a coffee from a Costa machine. 

I actually like McDonalds cappucino. Had one today in Braehead while killing a bit of time waiting for someone.. Not bad at all.

Honestly, right now I'm happy to be less picky.
Any coffee shop which doesn't have in place any restrictions at all and I do mean AT ALL is likely to win my business.
If they have so much as a polite masking sign on their window (even if they don't enforce it) and I'll never shop there out of principle.

Cool story m7.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Gordon St Coffee is lovely stuff.

I do enjoy the odd latte from Costa but since I've started to take my coffee black I can confirm Costa's coffee is bogging.

Definitely this, especially if you prefer black coffee (as I do). They do a fine breakfast roll too. A regular haunt for me before getting the bus up the road.

In Aberdeen "cult of coffee" does great coffee and the seating is great. Craftsman and Co on Guild St is super wanky but does fine coffee also.

In the capital I go for Urban Angel on Hannover St. Best breakfast in the land.

4 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

When Tim Hortons got bought out by the Brazilian hedge fund that owns Burger King, McDonalds got in and got the rights to their coffee blend from the supplier, so the McDicks coffee you get now is the stuff Canadians all used to go nuts over and Timmy’s is apparently shite these days. I do know it’s definitely better than Starbucks which is more burnt than Joan of Arc. 

I’d be interested to hear what Inverness-based folk on here make of Coyotes on Academy Street? I used to quite like their coffee and donuts and I went in a few months back, asked for a coffee and was then told they don’t do it. It was only about a year ago the place was called “Coyote Coffee”. I knew they’d gone down a more diner kind of route but to not offer coffee whatsoever when was until pretty recently a coffee shop is madness.

I’ve always wanted to travel across America exclusively eating in roadside diners like in the movies, drinking refill after refill of strong black coffee.

Sadly I’ve wasted my life by having a job and a family so will never get the chance to do it. What an idiot.

9 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

This may be way out there, but I used to have a coffee with my meal in McDonalds.  

9 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Strange to see McDonalds coffee being mentioned in the Coffee Shop thread. Presumably these will be take-aways

Generally, they are for me. I like coffee but I guess I'm not really the coffee shop type. When I'm travelling though, I find myself popping into the drive through for coffee. Usually Sleaford/Newark, then Leeming Bar, Berwick if up the east coast or Annandale Services on M74. That usually does me. 

After suffering those bloody costa machines a few times, the decision was easy to make. If I was going to sit in MacDonalds for a burger, I'd likely have a milkshake. 

13 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Blend in Paisley, Dean’s on Byres Road, Cafe des Fleurs in Dollar, Cafe Continental in Gourock, any number of good independents in the Haymarket area of Embra’. Another place that does a nice coffee (and home made scones) is the cafe at the Wallace Monument in Stirling. Not nasty touristy stuff, really nice home made scran’. A surprisingly good find… IMHO.

I don't use blend as it's off shoot of a church.

40 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’ve always wanted to travel across America exclusively eating in roadside diners like in the movies, drinking refill after refill of strong black coffee.

Sadly I’ve wasted my life by having a job and a family so will never get the chance to do it. What an idiot.

i did that nearly 20 years ago, i don't drink coffee though and i'm still waiting on Popeye's to open in the UK

popeyes-chicken_large.jpg?width=3200&hei

Popeyes is shite. The first one I had was not long after arriving in Canada and after an afternoon of walking around in what was essentially a blizzard, I ducked into Popeyes to escape the snow for a while. Despite dining by myself, I audibly sighed 'never again' after finishing whatever greasy puck of gristle I'd been served. I then had a quick glance around to make sure no-one had actually heard me before escaping to the sanctuary of the -20 snowstorm outside.

Admittedly, I tried it another couple of times and it was slightly better, but definitely not as good as made out. Church's Chicken is much better. 

5 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I’d be interested to hear what Inverness-based folk on here make of Coyotes on Academy Street? I used to quite like their coffee and donuts and I went in a few months back, asked for a coffee and was then told they don’t do it. It was only about a year ago the place was called “Coyote Coffee”. I knew they’d gone down a more diner kind of route but to not offer coffee whatsoever when was until pretty recently a coffee shop is madness.

Yep, its a burger joint now.  I guess the owners thought they'd make more paper selling them rather than donuts.