The Coffee Shop Thread

Just now, TheScarf said:

Yep, its a burger joint now.  I guess the owners thought they'd make more paper selling them rather than donuts.

I knew they'd gone down that route but I didn't expect that they'd not do coffee at all.  Last time I went past there was 'No hot drinks' sign up in the doorway so I imagine I haven't been the only one who's asked for it.

I've been in since and I don't know what it is, but the vibe of the place doesn't do it for me anymore.

11 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Costa is nothing special, but it spanks the pants off of Starbucks and Cafe Nero.

Nero is good for a quick espresso on the go. Starbucks is comfortably the worst of the big three but mainly sells variations on milkshakes to women who grew up watching friends, so coffee is low priority for them. 

15 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

McDonald's

Ideal coffee for picking up in the car to ward off sleep. 

We've a small local chain called Atlantic down here that's reliably very good and has a decent ambience. That's where i'll go for a sit. 

Depends on the circumstances really. However there is no circumstance in which Greggs is the best answer. 

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Honestly, right now I'm happy to be less picky.

Any coffee shop which doesn't have in place any restrictions at all and I do mean AT ALL is likely to win my business.

If they have so much as a polite masking sign on their window (even if they don't enforce it) and I'll never shop there out of principle.

What a hero. I hope you get a standing ovation from everyone in the shop. 

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

It's not, it's offshoot of church nazereen.

Aw is it ,boy I know had referred to it as the Sally Army soup kitchen when we drove past it 

someone asked that on a trip advisor review and the reply was However, you have been misinformed about Blend being run by a church group - we are a Limited Company owned by 4 Directors.

Edited by Arthur daley

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

I don't use blend as it's off shoot of a church.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

There's one of them in Inverness as well and it's quite nice.  Didn't realise it was affiliated with a church.

Don't take the Kool-Aid.

24 minutes ago, beardy said:

Last time i was in the UK (2019), i thought the coffee was rubbish.

Watery pish, badly made. Just crap.

Coffee is ubiquitous in Australia, and the standard is far higher and better than the UK.

The Starbucks here is still absolutely fvxking awful.

My uncle was over from Australia and mentioned that the coffee was terrible.  They are very big on good quality coffee in Oz.  Also, i thought there weren't any Starbucks there?

1 hour ago, Arthur daley said:

Aw is it ,boy I know had referred to it as the Sally Army soup kitchen when we drove past it 

someone asked that on a trip advisor review and the reply was However, you have been misinformed about Blend being run by a church group - we are a Limited Company owned by 4 Directors.

There is a connection with church nazereen. One the directors is also a pastor. May not be as direct as I thought but closely aligned. Plus it's shite coffee.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

My uncle was over from Australia and mentioned that the coffee was terrible.  They are very big on good quality coffee in Oz.  Also, i thought there weren't any Starbucks there?

Still a few in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. They opened 2 or 3 in Adelaide but they shut down in less than 18 months which is longer than they should have.