Clyde v Fifers

Well, that wasn't great. We seemed fine in the first half and were creating a few chances but as soon as Clyde's equaliser went in it was the same old story. Unfortunately, we seem to have a relatively OK centre half pairing now we've bombed out Dunlop/Higgins but everything else around it is brutal and it ends up with them looking like they're making the mistakes. Mercer playing on the left is significantly weakened, us not signing a left back again has proven an issue.

But the real problem area is midfield. The two wingers have absolutely no idea how to defend and are perpetually caught our of position, putting enormous pressure on the full backs. Watt has never really been good enough at this level anyway and Semple just seemed to let his head go down anytime something didn't go his way. And in the middle, Newton/McManus are both very samey, relatively neat football players who don't offer very much defensively nor going forward. The latter is a real issue, because we just end up skipping them and playing these massive diagonals that only work 1/3 of the time. Our centre halves can bring the ball up, particularly Murdoch, but if there isn't a player in the middle screaming for it we just go to the full back then wide diagonal or the centre half has to do a long ball. It's very easy to defend against, and as our wingers can't defend and our central players can't really go forward both our centre halves and strikers suffer. A pretty pish day all round. 

As far as Young is concerned, he should have been sacked before now but I think his time must be up now. Of course, it won't really solve anything in the short term because the damage has been done with the recruitment in the summer, we're going to have to hope for a miracle St Mirren-esque January transfer window. 

Bovril was tasty though. 

On 17/11/2021 at 19:43, GoldenNuggets_YeeHaa said:

As bad as we have been, this should still be 3 points.

We controlled last outing at a time we didn't have a goalscorer and Clyde were eventually going to take their chance. We have improved slighty since then and have some goals back in the side bar last week. 

2-1 East Fife

Wallace and Connell with the goals. 

the wire GIF

Tade absolutely changed that game for us today. You can tell the players get a lift too when he's on the pitch and especially Goodie and Cunningham seemed to perk up after his introduction. 3 really good goals and Cunninghams finish after a long bursting run for the 3rd goal was superb.

Still don't think it was a brilliant performance on the whole and a better team might've taken something. Splaine is fast becoming the most frustrating Clyde player I've ever watched. Simple 5 yard passes straight to the opposition. As said above we immediately became more of a threat with Tade linking play between midfield and attack.

A very welcome victory nevertheless, bit of a pain that Dumbarton and Peterhead both won too but it just makes the victory more important and gives a little breathing space between us and East Fife.

Great result will take that one obviously. Definitely 2 worst teams in the league at the moment but 2nd half in particular we did at least deserve to win the game.

As been said before Tade coming on allowed support to Goodie and what a difference it made. Goodie began to control the attacks and moved their defenders all over the place. Cuddihy back also made a massive difference.

In future a game plan of letting Love do his thing, as in putting in loads of effort and providing a bit of cover for the defence then replacing him with Tade might be a good weapon in future.. still wouldn’t start Tade, wish we could but wouldn’t work when everyone is fresh.

Also getting Cunningham running on to the play is the only way to play him and he is effective when he does. In midfield however he just can’t defend and leaves his runner every time.

Frustrating as ever is that if we can actually get a couple of proper midfield players we could  be a decent side,

Again Docherty proving me wrong again with a good shift as did Rumsby, but I’ve always thought Rumsby is not any worse than any of our CH’s, did what he had to today.

We have gone 1 step forwards and another 10 back over recent weeks. Our away results are now at the stage of hilariously bad, and we have given Clyde their first win since the beat us the last time. Clyde can look forward to another 6 points later in the season to keep us at arms length.

If we can’t beat the teams around us then we deserve to get relegated as the board sit idly by doing nothing.

On to Banks O’Dee next week and I’ve already got the fear.

11 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

Boycotted after all the carry on with COVID game that never was last season. 

Even though Clyde did nothing wrong ? 
Or perhaps as Clyde lodged a formal complaint to SPFL about the behaviour of EFFC at said game ? 

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

Great result today, plenty of fight in the team despite the lack of quality in some areas. Fair play to Docherty who was solid throughout and especially Rumsby, I’m often his harshest critic but he was very good today I thought.

Docherty did fine today, but I'd worry if he was against a more pacey defender. Rumsby had one of less bad games today.  I used to say he can only play the ball the way he's facing.  Today he managed to prove he can't always manage that!

Relieved to get a win the a battle of two poor teams.

3 hours ago, RosspCfc said:

😊

Weve just went downhill after a few years looking at the playoffs. We beat Dundee Utd at Tannadice a few seasons ago and both goalscorers that day are still with the club. Yes we have lost a few players but some still remain. This squad is seriously underperforming behond another level. 

20 minutes ago, GoldenNuggets_YeeHaa said:

Weve just went downhill after a few years looking at the playoffs. We beat Dundee Utd at Tannadice a few seasons ago and both goalscorers that day are still with the club. Yes we have lost a few players but some still remain. This squad is seriously underperforming behond another level. 

Not many players can have came of that pitch tonight and said they  had given their all and won their own personal battles. Very few covered themselves in glory and what a complete let down for the 100 or so fans who bothered to make the journey west. Ii thought we were making progress but that was piss poor. Clyde showed a fight and determination that we never came close to matching. We had more shots more possession but ultimately 2 minutes of footballing suicide was the difference. 

Good to see east fife squad celebrating the win at full time, after I spotted a large pizza delivery to the away dressing room.

In all seriousness can we appreciate that outstanding move from Goody to get past the defenders on the right side and then through to tade who missed the absolute sitter argh!! But tade is a gamechanger, just ashame he doesn't have 90 mins in him.

1 minute ago, TamClyde said:

Good to see east fife squad celebrating the win at full time, after I spotted a large pizza delivery to the away dressing room.

In all seriousness can we appreciate that outstanding move from Goody to get past the defenders on the right side and then through to tade who missed the absolute sitter argh!! But tade is a gamechanger, just ashame he doesn't have 90 mins in him.

It’s part of the muscle recovery post game- massive carb intake....no a celebration and ate that was class by goodie