Kelty Hearts -vs- Stenhousemuir

It's the biggest game in the division on Saturday as league leaders Kelty Hearts welcome in-form Stenhousemuir to New Central Park. The last time the sides met, it finished 4-1 to Kelty as they took full advantage of some wretched Stenny defending and scored three goals on the counter, ably abetted by the dismal Ryan Marshall in goal.

What's changed since then? Not much at Kelty - they're still battering through everyone who appears in their way and, even when they're not at their best, they're still finding ways to get the better of their opponents. At Stenny, meanwhile, Stephen Swift has found a starting XI that works and has largely stuck with it, while a number of players are in great form, like Euan O'Reilly, Nicky Jamieson and Nat Wedderburn. The Warriors have moved away from the bottom of the table and are now one of the sides in contention for a play-off place.

I don't see any real reason to muck about and change things from the side that beat Annan Athletic at the weekend. Bernard Coll is probably pushing for a start but unless we're lacking in bodies to play in midfield, we should keep Ross Lyon at left-back for the time being. I don't think Declan Hughes adds anything to the team and I'd be minded to keep him out of the starting XI between now and the date his contract expires. There isn't much difference between Darren Christie and Cammy Graham, with both players having their positives and their drawbacks. I don't think we'd lose anything by swapping in Ryan Tierney for Tam Orr up top either - Orr didn't make much of an impression last time out and Tierney might give us something different, although the word "might" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

Providing everyone's fit and available, let's go with:

- Ryan Tierney -

- Euan O'Reilly - Adam Brown - Darren Christie -

- Nat Wedderburn - Ross Forbes -

- Ross Lyon - Sean Crighton - Nicky Jamieson - Mikey Miller -

- Davie Wilson -

I'm fully expecting us not to win the game. Kelty have a firm grip on this league and every side seems inferior by comparison - but they're going to have to lose at some point, so it might as well be to us on Saturday, baby!

It's a bit of a free hit really and I'm not too expectant but absolutely buzzing for the game all the same.

If Forbes is fit then he will slot in for Hughes I would think but if not then the logical move would be the one Nigel suggests. Coll has been fantastic from the bench the last two games so will deserve his start if he gets it.

Kelty are obviously streets ahead of the rest but they haven't exactly been slaughtering sides lately and indeed we have dispatched the likes of Stirling and Cowdenbeath in better fashion than them so it must give us some hope.

54 minutes ago, Neilly said:

It's a bit of a free hit really and I'm not too expectant but absolutely buzzing for the game all the same.

If Forbes is fit then he will slot in for Hughes I would think but if not then the logical move would be the one Nigel suggests. Coll has been fantastic from the bench the last two games so will deserve his start if he gets it.

Kelty are obviously streets ahead of the rest but they haven't exactly been slaughtering sides lately and indeed we have dispatched the likes of Stirling and Cowdenbeath in better fashion than them so it must give us some hope.

We have been quite hot and cold albeit still winning.  I'll be interested to see the starting 11 this week given the impact Philp and Agyeman had coming on at HT against Forfar.  Austin looked off it but how can you drop the best striker in the league?!  The first 15 of the second half is how we were playing earlier in the season more regularly. Hopefully Barjo is back in the squad and Reilly maybe gets some minutes.

2.1 Kelty.

Edited by leomessi1984

Not really been brilliant at home but still getting points on the board is all that matters and finding ways to break teams down 

Think Philp has to start as much better than Finlayson in every department imo , Reilly could be pushing for a start  and if Barjos fit then happy days 

Would like to see KT start with Austin & Agyeman and let Cardle on for last 25 to run at a tiring  defence 

Stenny bang on form so a 50/50 game here but would like a 3-1 Kelty please 😁😁

Reading through the Stenny supporters’ comments there’s a similar feeling amongst you that we (Loons) had last week. I’m sure that on form Stenhousemuir will give Kelty a good game just as Forfar did last week. We went in hope and with real optimism but came away empty handed. Kelty are champions, sure they’ve not won anything yet but they are unbeaten and the matches where they don’t sweep aside the opposition they have the mentality to grind out results. I could wax lyrical about the Loons being worthy of a daw last week and on midfield play and real scoring chances that’s true but when the going got tough Kelty found that little bit extra to see them over the line that champions elect always have. Good luck Stenny, I hope you prove me wrong as a win would retain my team’s slight glimmer of hope of catching them but I don’t see either happening.

Reading through the Stenny supporters’ comments there’s a similar feeling amongst you that we (Loons) had last week. I’m sure that on form Stenhousemuir will give Kelty a good game just as Forfar did last week. We went in hope and with real optimism but came away empty handed. Kelty are champions, sure they’ve not won anything yet but they are unbeaten and the matches where they don’t sweep aside the opposition they have the mentality to grind out results. I could wax lyrical about the Loons being worthy of a daw last week and on midfield play and real scoring chances that’s true but when the going got tough Kelty found that little bit extra to see them over the line that champions elect always have. Good luck Stenny, I hope you prove me wrong as a win would retain my team’s slight glimmer of hope of catching them but I don’t see either happening.

If Stenny have a go they’ve got a real chance, sit back and they’ll get overrun. Only a howler by the Cowden keeper stopped a draw recently.

I think Stenhousemuir have a real chance here. Austin, Cardle, and Higginbotham were nullified by a strong Forfar defence, so Stenny should know what to do. Forfar asleep at the start of the second saw a goal from the Kelty sub but I think I'd be right in saying Kelty were never overwhelming Forfar for any length of time. The buzz in the Stenhousemuir team and support should be sky-high. All to play for.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

If Stenny have a go they’ve got a real chance, sit back and they’ll get overrun. Only a howler by the Cowden keeper stopped a draw recently.

You lot couldn’t string two passes together and it was always a goal coming!

1 hour ago, KeltyDaft said:

You lot couldn’t string two passes together and it was always a goal coming!

You had a lot of the play but didn't have that much clear cut chances mostly restricted to shots from outside the box, our defence more than held its own before the keepers brain freeze.

Personally I felt it was heading to a 0-0 before that.

I think Stenhousemuir have a real chance here. Austin, Cardle, and Higginbotham were nullified by a strong Forfar defence, so Stenny should know what to do. Forfar asleep at the start of the second saw a goal from the Kelty sub but I think I'd be right in saying Kelty were never overwhelming Forfar for any length of time. The buzz in the Stenhousemuir team and support should be sky-high. All to play for.

Kelty had a very good spell for the first 15-20 mins of the second half, after the introduction of Philp and Agyeman. The tempo was upped significantly in that period. Bar that the first half was dour and the rest of the second half was Kelty keeping Forfar in check without any major chances created ourselves.

You had a lot of the play but didn't have that much clear cut chances mostly restricted to shots from outside the box, our defence more than held its own before the keepers brain freeze.
Personally I felt it was heading to a 0-0 before that.

It usually has to be shots from outside the box when there are 10 players defending inside their own box. It worked to a point but it’s debatable whether it would have continued to do so until FT.

1 hour ago, Gunz said:

Looking forward to this tomorrow.

Driving through after work, any Kelty fans able to advise where is best to park? 

Get there early & you'll get parked in Bath St or the wee doctors car park on the corner of Bath St. Closer to kick off either the community centre or a side street further away.

On 16/11/2021 at 18:17, Neilly said:

I remember Rovers fans using the “free hit” phrase before we played Kelty. Ended up “a write aff” 🤣

I've seen Kelty a couple of times this season and whilst they are a good side I don't think Stenhousemuir shoould be going there with any fear. Much depends on the availability of Barjonas. Austin is recovering from illness and not quite firing fully. Cardle is such an important player for them, Higginbotham too, and I liked Agyemang, even if he is still a bit raw yet.

They're a well drilled side but seem tio have been a bitty off peak form lately. They bludgeoned Buckie rather in the cup and didn't really dominate until the last half hour when better fitness told. Forfar were far too cautious for me last week and didn't have enough of a go at them. Had they done so they could have hurt Kelty who as others have said are missing Barjonas.

Will be very interested to hear how this game has gone in advance of Montrose rocking up a week later in the cup. Kelty get some stick for being a moneybags club but I do like them- always a very positive vibe when you visit their place.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

I've seen Kelty a couple of times this season and whilst they are a good side I don't think Stenhousemuir shoould be going there with any fear. Much depends on the availability of Barjonas. Austin is recovering from illness and not quite firing fully. Cardle is such an important player for them, Higginbotham too, and I liked Agyemang, even if he is still a bit raw yet.
They're a well drilled side but seem tio have been a bitty off peak form lately. They bludgeoned Buckie rather in the cup and didn't really dominate until the last half hour when better fitness told. Forfar were far too cautious for me last week and didn't have enough of a go at them. Had they done so they could have hurt Kelty who as others have said are missing Barjonas.
Will be very interested to hear how this game has gone in advance of Montrose rocking up a week later in the cup. Kelty get some stick for being a moneybags club but I do like them- always a very positive vibe when you visit their place.
Yeah they do seem a nice tidy wee club that will be a good addition to the leagues. The money bags guy is giving up the injecting of cash after next season if what I was told after our Home encounter with them is true & it was a very reliable source.

By then they should be fairly established and will be job done I suppose.

On 18/11/2021 at 10:16, theSilverFox said:

The better team won, overall Kelty deserved to win. It was tight, but the only spell that Kelty stepped up the pace they scored, and they should have had a second. Forfar made it tough though.

8 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I've seen nearly all of Kelty's matches this season and I don't recognise much in your descriptions above.