Che Adams Appreciation Thread

Lyle Lanley

I said this a while back and people disagreed with me. Che adams is better at holding the ball up than dykes. When we have dykes up front then we are prone to throwing high balls up to him. With adams as the main striker then we are able to play two attacking midfielders which means we have a bit more width and keep the ball on the deck. It also means mcginn gets forward more where he is more dangerous. I hope he sticks with it.

I like that Adams and Dykes in isolation give us something very different.

Hard part for Clark is either trying to find a way to make them work together or having the minerals to pick one or the other.

I don't think there can be any doubt though that the set up with Adams and the midfield playing behind him was spot on last night and a cause for optimism. Some of our play, and the sheer pace with which we moved up the pitch was a joy to watch. Made you feel we could turn anyone over countering like that.

I've enjoyed his instinctive intelligence, even if he hasn't always looked like a goalscorer. We've had strikers before who we can hit with forward balls and who'll bring the ball down for other players to use, but he's good at receiving the ball with his body positioned at awkward angles for the defence and taking it on himself. I liked him before last night and thought he was useful, but his touch and positioning was lovely against Denmark. Just desserts when he got the goal.

As mentioned, Dykes is a different kind of forward and hopefully he'll continue to improve for Scotland too. We may still not have an out-and-out goalscorer, but we've got two differing style of attacking option, and I know it's a cliche, but it's nice to see the effort they put in and it's obviously important to them to be successful with Scotland.

I don't think it's fair writing off Dykes just yet as he and Adams were building a good partnership and he can perform a vital role in tougher games, but I completely agree that we wouldn't have played as good football in these two games with Dykes in the side.

He certainly grew into the game, won his fair share of headers despite being smaller than the defenders, backed in and laid the ball off numerous times.

I was sure they were going to go to VAR and overturn his goal. Looked so tight right in front of me. Would've been a crime, 100% deserved that goal for his performance. Schmeichel save in the first half stopping a brace aswell. 

It's great to have strikers now who actually score. Seemed since we had Mcfadden and Miller we've really struggled for goalscoring strikers, Naismith and fletcher the only 2 to get 10 or more goals. 7 of fletchers were against Gibraltar and malta. 

Adams and Dykes are guys just coming into their prime, growing with this squad. Both seem buzzing everytime they come away aswell.   

There was one point near the end where his control was immense. I'd say last night is pretty much the prototype of what kind of performance a forward player should have in that position. Held the ball up excellently ,chased down and harried defenders all game and got a goal.

We now have 2 strikers regularly scoring at international level which along with CD's stepping up feels like the final piece of the jigsaw.