Liverpool explosion

ICTChris

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

...simply to get to the point that you're blowing yourself up there must be something clouding your judgement. It's not rational thought, regardless of how legitimate they think they're beliefs are. 

Lots of people have been willing to give up their own lives for a cause in which they believe. Soldiers who throw themselves on live grenades, sacrificing themselves to save their comrades and the mission, Buddhist monks self-immolating, or kamakaze pilots. Heroes willing to die for the greater good, or loonies?

They are insurgents, we are patriots defending our homeland, They invade, we bring democracy. They commit murder, we act in self-defence. It's all about perspective.

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

It wasn't me that diagnosed the guy so i'll leave it with those posters as to what they meant by mental illness. 

If you're talking about an inability to think rationally then that's the traditional definition of insanity. 

To the extent that anyone actually does think rationally (i.e. Ignoring modern neuroscience) it can be perfectly rational to blow yourself up if your beliefs are "wrong". If there's little for you to live for and you think you'll go to virgin slut paradise as a hero, why wouldn't you?

Rational decision making and critical thinking about what objective facts are are related but not the same thing. 

Apparently, the Koran is open to interpretation, but I've always wondered what all the virgins have done to be in heaven?

There's one version you get 72 wives. If that doesn't put you off martyrdom nothing will.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Apparently, the Koran is open to interpretation, but I've always wondered what all the virgins have done to be in heaven?

There's one version you get 72 wives. If that doesn't put you off martyrdom nothing will.

There's a theory that the wives or virgins on offer are a misinterpretation of "sultanas". So your prize after blowing yourself up is actually a cup of raisins.

18 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I reckon most of the virgins are Anne Widdecombe types who are untouched for a reason. Still rather that than 72 wives. 

16 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Lots of people have been willing to give up their own lives for a cause in which they believe. Soldiers who throw themselves on live grenades, sacrificing themselves to save their comrades and the mission, Buddhist monks self-immolating, or kamakaze pilots. Heroes willing to die for the greater good, or loonies?

They are insurgents, we are patriots defending our homeland, They invade, we bring democracy. They commit murder, we act in self-defence. It's all about perspective.

I'd argue that throwing yourself on a grenade to save your colleagues/friends is a different decision to make than actively building your own bomb to then blow yourself up but point taken. I can see the rational in sacrificing yourself to save others when a bomb lands in front of you. That's a different rational than choosing to kill yourself in the hope you get virgins in heaven (which is a fucking weird noncey thing to want anyway). 

Have any (unsuccessful) suicide bombers ever acknowledged that the 72 virgins in heaven thing was their motivation? I’d always thought that was just something Westerners had found in the Koran and were using to ridicule the enemy. 

Have any (unsuccessful) suicide bombers ever acknowledged that the 72 virgins in heaven thing was their motivation? I’d always thought that was just something Westerners had found in the Koran and were using to ridicule the enemy. 

I’m pretty sure it’s just one part of the whole “eternity in paradise” package that’s on offer but it’s the weird one that grabs the attention

A bit like that MP who was claiming all sorts of nonsense on expenses but people only remember the Duck Island

22 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

They don't do it for the virgins, they do it because they see themselves as soldiers in a war against the West.  

You could argue that it is all about the big bad west but his choice of target might suggest that like the Manchester Arena bomber it was all about his disapproval of women.

8 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

You could argue that it is all about the big bad west but his choice of target might suggest that like the Manchester Arena bomber it was all about his disapproval of women.

Was it the Wee Frees he "converted" to?