Liverpool explosion

ICTChris

12 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Who said that he was astounded that he had turned out to be a wrong 'un, as "we shared a house with only one bathroom and toilet, and when you share washing and toileting facilities with someone, you really get to know them".  Bizarre.

If really getting to know someone is defined by finding out that they clog up the bath with pubes or are bad for leaving skiddies in the pan, I'd tend to agree. Not a great barometer of their inclination to blow themselves up though.

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

The flip side of saying that most suicide bombers must be mentally ill is an implication that mentally ill people are more likely to be terrorists. Now i'm not an al queada general or anything but i'd probably prefer my bombers to not be at risk of just wandering off or being unable to get out of bed. 

What are you defining as mentally ill here? I don't think anyone is suggesting that every person with depression or bipolar disorder are capable of being a terrorist, but simply to get to the point that you're blowing yourself up there must be something clouding your judgement. It's not rational thought, regardless of how legitimate they think they're beliefs are. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

What are you defining as mentally ill here? I don't think anyone is suggesting that every person with depression or bipolar disorder are capable of being a terrorist, but simply to get to the point that you're blowing yourself up there must be something clouding your judgement. It's not rational thought, regardless of how legitimate they think they're beliefs are. 

You might not agree with the cause or the motive, but people who sacrifice themselves for what they see as the greater good are usually called heroes, and their rationality isn't called into question.

32 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It wasn't me that diagnosed the guy so i'll leave it with those posters as to what they meant by mental illness. 

If you're talking about an inability to think rationally then that's the traditional definition of insanity. 

To the extent that anyone actually does think rationally (i.e. Ignoring modern neuroscience) it can be perfectly rational to blow yourself up if your beliefs are "wrong". If there's little for you to live for and you think you'll go to virgin slut paradise as a hero, why wouldn't you?

Rational decision making and critical thinking about what objective facts are are related but not the same thing.