Raith Rovers v Greenock Morton

Some of the passing at times is sublime. For example in the lead up to the equaliser. We really should have put them to the sword in the second half. A bit unlucky at times with goal line clearances and hitting the woodwork.

Time to move on now. It's in the record books as a home win and is now history. Well done on a good win guys.👋👋👋

Watching that, and Frankie more closely, I'm dying to see him in for Tait. Tait gets little credit by many for a lot of small work he does and neat passes, and if he leaves in january, we may well profit with Frankie into that role...just get him signed for longer quick!

Morton players seemed to be particularly aggrieved at our second goal being allowed, with them seemingly convinced Ethan Ross is offside when the ball is played. Whilst not conclusive, I’m fairly confident he is onside when the ball it played to him. 

As the ball is played, Ross is broadly level with Lithgow. 

B33B4F5A-B6B3-49E3-A88A-6FB87349E4EF.thumb.png.28c5e731f9caeca9f0df63b9abe6502b.png

I can’t get the next photo to load in the same post from my phone, so will post it in the next one. 

7 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It's a lazy comparison to make, but Ethan Ross seems to have that chaos factor which Vaughan has. He's quick, has a low centre of gravity and his movement is exceptional. Every touch he has in the running for both goals is inch perfect. An absolute masterstroke of a signing.

He's the closest thing we will get to Vaughan,  who himself was crucial to how we played. There's a reason the club moved heaven and earth to get him in, and it wasn't because Kai Fotheringham was injured.

10 hours ago, Raithie said:

Ethan Ross though, chuffed to bits we have him. His goal today from where I was sitting was sublime. 

Watched the goal a few times, he didn't leather the ball, it was a controlled lob, something Lewis Vaughan would have been proud of.

I don't thinkLithgow's first booking is even a foul, never mind a booking, which makes his sending off all the more stupid. He knows he's up against someone who can turn him, is quicker and can draw a foul so he decides "I better get tight as f**k and drag him down in a rugby tackle"

47 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I don't thinkLithgow's first booking is even a foul, never mind a booking, which makes his sending off all the more stupid. He knows he's up against someone who can turn him, is quicker and can draw a foul so he decides "I better get tight as f**k and drag him down in a rugby tackle"

Don’t know, but it’s his own poor judgement that creates the situation in the first place.

The guy’s been a huge disappointment overall.

I thought at the time that the foul for Lithgow's first booking was a little soft. Once the foul is given it's got to be a booking because Varian is angling in at goal, but they're shoulder to shoulder and it's not a huge amount of contact to put Varian down. 

The second one, though, is the epitome of naive defending. You can see from a mile off what Varian's going to do, and Lithgow gets far too tight and plays into his hands. 

Over the piece, though, Morton really did play into our hands. They managed to shut Zanatta down fairly effectively, but totally neglected Brad Spencer, who had all the time in the world to come and get the ball off the defence and move 20 yards forward before moving the ball on. It was just a matter of being patient and waiting for the chances to come, which they duly did. 

You can see what Ugwu brings to the table, and he's always liable to shake a goal loose for himself or someone else with the way he puts himself about, but he's too obvious with his fouls to really turn up the dial on a defence. We touched upon it during the game, but none of the players running off him look like they've got any belief that they'll score. A couple of times Morton had a man over and running at goal but hesitated long enough to let Berra or Musonda back in to get a block. 

I think the general consensus is that Morton have a bit more about them than Ayr do, but Ayr's second half performance a few weeks back made them look like a potentially more effective unit than Morton did at any stage yesterday, and Hamilton looked half the side of either at NDP. Someone's going to stay up just by virtue of not being quite as bad as two others, but right now I wouldn't bet on any of those three. 

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Don’t know, but it’s his own poor judgement that creates the situation in the first place.

The guy’s been a huge disappointment overall.

I disagree with Asimbutthitsasix, it's a foul all day, but I think you've called it.

Watching it over I think Lithgow's pushing down and possibly his left hand has a grip of Varian's shirt and knowing it's on the blind side he tries to pull Varian down, Varian feels the pull and goes down quite easily (look at this point and you see Lithgow's arm seem to go down too as if he still has a grip of him).

Quite definitely from a Rovers point of view a good decision from a young player and from a Morton POV a poor decision from an experienced defender who should have known better.

Edited by Scottydog

40 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I think the general consensus is that Morton have a bit more about them than Ayr do, but Ayr's second half performance a few weeks back made them look like a potentially more effective unit than Morton did at any stage yesterday, and Hamilton looked half the side of either at NDP. Someone's going to stay up just by virtue of not being quite as bad as two others, but right now I wouldn't bet on any of those three. 

The “Yogi bounce” will probably last long enough to keep the Pars in mid-table, so automatic relegation will be one from Ayr, Hamilton, Morton or Queens. Fifteen games in and only one point separates them; in essence they are looking at a 21 game season starting from now. A wee good run or a wee poor run for any of them could be crucial to their fate - as could sticking with or sacking their current manager.

It’s probably the fact that all four are equally rotten and grouped so close together that is keeping their managers in place right now, and I don’t think we’ll see any managerial changes until there are at least four points between bottom and second- bottom. Of the four, AJ at Queens seems to have the confidence of his board if not the fans, and Taylor at Hamilton has only been in post for a handful of games  and is likely to be given time to maybe improve things. Of the other two, the fact that we gave Gus a two-year deal in the summer means we’d struggle to pay him off. Jim Duffy went to Ayr as an assistant saying that he didn’t want another job as manager, understandable after his health issue a couple of years back, and I believe his deal only runs till the end of the season. All things being equal you’d think the Duff most likely to be the one to be sacked or to stand down, but as I said a couple of results poorer than the rest and any one of them will be in more danger.

Seems ridiculous at this stage of the season, but for the fans of all four teams every game is squeaky bum time right now.

I think Gus’s comments after the last two games should make him favourite to be first to go. He more or less congratulated his players for losing narrowly to Kilmarnock and Raith Rovers. He reminds me of Jim McInally in that he thinks he’s managing a wee club and we’re doing well to limit giants of the game like Raith Rovers to a narrow victory. Jim Duffy for instance got the club as he captained a successful Morton side.

MacPherson should and will be binned if we lose to either Ayr or QoS at home next month.

He doesn't appear to know how to set up the squad he assembled even to grind out a point, never mind actually win games. And this habit of behaving as if he's in charge of a development squad as soon as we're behind doesn't reflect well on him at all.