Raith Rovers v Greenock Morton

If we do win I'll be surprised if it's by more than one goal. We rarely do comfortable home wins.

Agreed. We haven’t managed a league win by more than one goal at home this season, with a defeat to QoS and a draw with Dunfermline in there. Suspect a couple of guys are a bit carried away by what will probably end up as our most routine three points of the season at Hamilton last week.

Having said that if we play to our best, we’ll win. Pretty important we do as well with our run of league fixtures after this being Arbroath away, Killie home, Partick away.

We will need a good 90 minute performance here to win it. For whatever reason we are better on the road and seem to score more away. Morton are probably a better "team" than Hamilton were despite the Accies having better players.  

Gozie is a good forward at this level but I feel like if we'd kept him we'd have had folk questioning his fitness. I'm not sure how many games he's played this season but I did notice he'd missed a few and had he stayed we'd likely have seen a few folk grumbling. This will be a tough fixture - our games against Morton last season, other than the 5-0 scudding at Stark's, were pretty tight affairs.

The main difference between the last game at Cappielow and now is that back then we were still smarting from the loss of Lewis Vaughan and trying to find a style which would work. Zanatta effectively hauled us through that period. For this game, we've got Ethan Ross looking like he's hitting full speed. I think we'll win, but I'd be surprised if we kept a clean sheet. 

Having taken in the game at Cappielow earlier in the season, it was Morton who had the majority of the play I felt. We scored a shot that was deflected over the goalie as well. As much as we still defended well and Morton just weren’t that clinical, they were far from rubbish.

But at home we should be looking to extend our unbeaten run to 10 in the league. 

They say the league table doesn’t lie, clearly the league is split into top 5 and bottom 5, the actual games between the teams on a Saturday usually don’t have a lot in them. 

13 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Well, it’s Friday tomorrow. We’ll be getting excited about this game soon. Remember when this was a Seaside League fixture and it was big news?

You seem to have badly confused us with your perpetual rivals for permadiddy 'glory' in the seaside leagues, Ayr United.  

2 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

What's the diddy term for clubs that have plumbed the depths of 4th tier Scottish fitbaw?

Careful now. The Morton cup winning team of 1922 will be getting thrown in your face before you know it.

15 hours ago, Frank conner said:

He's probably thinking about the time you lot were being bankrolled. 

14 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I was thinking of those days when Morton’s very own Willy Wonka was spunking money on the team.

You quite clearly weren't though, because there was no 'big news' clash between the two sides back then. The only game of significance at all was for us when we won the league at Starks' in 2007 (despite losing the match, in classic Jim McInally fashion) while your then midtable outfit presented The Famous with a suitable, commemorative gift. Other than that it was a string of tepid 2-0 home wins at Cappielow and an inconsequential draw or two up there. 

The two clubs have rarely directly competed for the same objective in the last 30 years, whereas Morton and Queen of the South have been squabbling over the same lower midtable ranking with the same 'standard' of squad for what feels like 1000 years. 

Edited by vikingTON

Last 5 meeting have resulted in 5 Raith wins with 0 (nil) goals conceeded, long may the run continue tomorrow................

..............however i have no doubt that this will be a tough game, Morton are IMHO a decent side who are always hard to beat, other than the 5 scud game these have always been very tight and as mentioned before the last game was a deflected shot that wrong footed the keeper. If we are on our A game then it should be 3 points, that said it has to be our A game for the full 90 and not switch off in the 2nd half which has happened all to often this season.

Seems a lot of wariness about this game from Rovers fans. Can understand why. From previous experience this looks exactly like the sort of game where a loss might occur. But, f**k it, this is McGlynn’s new Raith Rovers. Unbeaten in 10, our first clean sheet last week and Lewis Vaughan aside, a full squad to choose from. 4-1 Rovers. Ugwu getting their goal. 

14 hours ago, virginton said:

You quite clearly weren't though, because there was no 'big news' clash between the two sides back then. The only game of significance at all was for us when we won the league at Starks' in 2007 (despite losing the match, in classic Jim McInally fashion) while your then midtable outfit presented The Famous with a suitable, commemorative gift. Other than that it was a string of tepid 2-0 home wins at Cappielow and an inconsequential draw or two up there. 

The two clubs have rarely directly competed for the same objective in the last 30 years, whereas Morton and Queen of the South have been squabbling over the same lower midtable ranking with the same 'standard' of squad for what feels like 1000 years. 

I may have suffered some well-being issues, but I generally know what I’m thinking.

I was thinking of the days when Morton were the big team in the league and brought a large travelling support through to Starks. The games I remember are the title win/have a cake day and the 1-3 defeat where that big gangly ex-Par scored a cracker against us.

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

Seems a lot of wariness about this game from Rovers fans. Can understand why. From previous experience this looks exactly like the sort of game where a loss might occur. But, f**k it, this is McGlynn’s new Raith Rovers. Unbeaten in 10, our first clean sheet last week and Lewis Vaughan aside, a full squad to choose from. 4-1 Rovers. Ugwu getting their goal. 

If Rovers want to convince the fans that this is a bona fide title challenge then this is the type of game we need to win.

Rovers being unbeaten in 10 is excellent but after this game we have a run of 5 away games and 1 home game (against Killie) up to Boxing Day. Hopefully we are still in the hunt come January.