Raith Rovers v Greenock Morton

Looking forward to this one after our performance last night. We should really be expecting a comfortable three point here given our respective league positions.

In terms of our team Ross is looking undroppable in the “Vaughney” #10 role. The biggest headache for McGlynn will be whether to start Matthews and what to do with Musonda if Dick is back. Vaughan aside we could have a full squad to pick for this one!

1 minute ago, roverthemoon said:

Would be great to get another win to consolidate our position going into the cup weekend. My main worry is Gozie scoring against us. Fingers crossed for another clean sheet 

I’m just going to say it again but we should have kept Gozie. Yeah, in typical Rovers fashion he’s due to score against us at some point.

5 hours ago, Enigma said:

Looking forward to this one after our performance last night. We should really be expecting a comfortable three point here given our respective league positions.

In terms of our team Ross is looking undroppable in the “Vaughney” #10 role. The biggest headache for McGlynn will be whether to start Matthews and what to do with Musonda if Dick is back. Vaughan aside we could have a full squad to pick for this one!

Looking at Tait’s involvement, and Frankie’s much improved play yesterday, I still have the sneaking suspicion that (relatively) long term) Frankie is being groomed to replace Tait for the spring as a DM…too bad he’s only on a one year deal.

I watched the pars take on Morton a week or so ago. Morton quite literally had three chances and took them all, they made nothing else all game. I am confident we will beat them, they looked nothing to worry about. Gozie looked strong but Berra and Lang (assuming he starts) will take care of him. The rest of their team looked gash 

I watched the pars take on Morton a week or so ago. Morton quite literally had three chances and took them all, they made nothing else all game. I am confident we will beat them, they looked nothing to worry about. Gozie looked strong but Berra and Lang (assuming he starts) will take care of him. The rest of their team looked gash 

Cannot see this coming back to bite you on the arse in any way, shape or form.

48 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Cannot see this coming back to bite you on the arse in any way, shape or form.

I’d rather he was honest than fall into the usual P&B trap of “we’re pish” “no, we’re pish!”.

Given we've taken 3/12 from the sides currently in 9th and 10th, we can't be going into this with any degree of complacency.

Ugwu can be hit or miss, but I'd have kept him. Not particularly looking forward to us defending him as his strength will always cause defenders problems and he does have a tendency to cause chaos at the back. I hope we're looking out for his hold up play too - it doesn't always come off but the ball pretty much sticks to him and it is not easy to get the ball off him. He make the most of his physical attributes, which a lot of players do not. 

I imagine we go unchanged, although there's a question as to whether Bene might be better equipped physically than Lang to handle Ugwu. 

Edited by Michael W

3 hours ago, Offshore Rover said:

A week or two back, you mustered a whole 2 shots on target against the same side, on the same pitch.

There was nothing between the 2 sides in the 1st game at Cappielow,, could have easily been a draw that day.

We know we are pretty pish btw but I wouldnt take it for granted its going to be an easy three points for you. We have been generally quite solid and hard to beat this season so would be surprised if you walked all over us. Gozie missed a few weeks but thankfully he is back and has made a difference to our attacking threat.

We were missing 2 of our best players on Sat to international duty, thankfully they will be back too.

Morton were reasonable enough though at Cappielow,  and they didn't have Ugwu then, so it's not outrageous to suggest we could be dropping points here.

Looking at December's fixture card, however, we can't really afford to.

Any win would be fantastic.

If we played our strongest team in a competent formation then this could be a tricky match for Raith. In terms of our best starting eleven, we are actually a fair bit better than last season's gang IMO.

But the team is still managed by Gus McPherson, so the much more likely outcome is some nick of a team and shape picked by his tombola system, slipping to a 3-0 defeat. 

As above, looking at our upcoming fixtures, this feels like a must win. After this, 5 of our next 6 are away from home and the home game is a against a Kilmarnock side unbeaten on the road this season. With Killie hosting Arbroath on Saturday, something has to give there. If we can get the win, we will either consolidate ourselves in a play off spots or close the gap to the top of the league.

However, given we have taken 2 points from 3 home games against the sides currently in 7th, 9th and 10th, we shouldn’t be underestimating anyone.

Morton have barely laid a glove on us since we came back up but they don’t tend to get hammered and have actually kept more clean sheets than us in the league so can be a stuffy, hard to break down side and with Ugwu upfront, they should carry a better threat going forward than previously.

Could be a long day and one where the fans will need to be patient. We beat Morton 1-0 at Starks last season with a late goal by being patient and finally finding a way through and McGlynn made a comment about how they had possibly benefitted from no fans being at the game as there were not the moans and groans of frustration as they searched for the breakthrough so hopefully the fans can be patient on Saturday if the game follows a similar pattern.

I’ll go for a 2-1 win for the Rovers, Zanatta and Varian for and the inevitable goal from Ugwu for Morton probably late on causing the standard nervy finish. 

Edited by R.R.FC

Been looking at the league table on my lunch, any win here really does solidify our playoff position, however a win by a few goals will obviously be welcome - Killie are 3pts in front and +3 better goals than us. They’ll have a tough game on their hands at home to Abroath on Saturday.
I’m not taken Morton lightly, but I am confident of us getting a result.

Also, Rovers fans - I’m taken my oldest daughter to the game (last time she was 3 & too young and got bored), she’s 6 now and wanting to go, what’s the deal - does she get in for hee haw or what’s the cost? Cheers in advance.

3 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

Been looking at the league table on my lunch, any win here really does solidify our playoff position, however a win by a few goals will obviously be welcome - Killie are 3pts in front and +3 better goals than us. They’ll have a tough game on their hands at home to Abroath on Saturday.
I’m not taken Morton lightly, but I am confident of us getting a result.

Also, Rovers fans - I’m taken my oldest daughter to the game (last time she was 3 & too young and got bored), she’s 6 now and wanting to go, what’s the deal - does she get in for hee haw or what’s the cost? Cheers in advance.

Under 12 (those born on/after 1st July 2009 qualify for this category) £5
Under 5s FREE

Prices | Raith Rovers FC

Aye, it's not going to be easy. But we are in good form and the team have to be confident. 

Agree with the folks above. A 'must win' in the context of our next run of fixtures. I said before the Hamilton game that it had to 6/6 from the next two. 3/3 so far!

Just going to be driving to this, I think. Been a lot of days out lately, and making a day of the Falkirk, Arbroath and Killie games (down south for the Partick away game which I am gutted about!). 

Team-wise, I can't see McGlynn changing a winning team. He is loyal to players that come in and take their chance - and that is key to players buying in to it. Ideally, I'd like to see Bene back in for Lang (even though lang has been solid). I can see why folks would want Dick back in, as a natural fullback. I do think Frankie had a good defensive performance at Hamilton, though. He is much bigger and quicker than a typical fullback - rarely gets done and stops loads of crosses. Lost count how many times he made blocks on crosses that ended up as throws, corners. He is very composed and tidy as well. Would be happy with either playing.