Best and worse goalies

On 13/11/2021 at 22:26, Ludo*1 said:

Tony Bullock was absolutely excellent for us. Tarnished his reputation by donning a 'f**k the Dees' t-shirt and jumping on a United supporters bus to watch United in their Scottish Cup final at the end of that season so we don't talk about him tbh.

😂

Was this as he was still employed by Dundee? 

21 hours ago, Katboy said:

I was just going to mention Derrick Hoy as the worst I've had the misfortune of watching, but you beat me to it!  A routine cross would somehow end up as an own goal of farcical proportions, and a nothing shot would invariably be followed by the striker turning away in embarrassed celebration.  Would certainly agree with the others you have mentioned in this category but would also add Stephen Grindley to this.

As much as we have signed some diddies, we have also had some pretty decent keepers down the years.  Alan Davidson, Colin Scott and Lee Robinson being some of the better ones.  Jamie McDonald and Zander Clark deserve honourable mentions.  David Hutton was decent for us although he will always be remembered for a howler in a cup final where we simply didn't turn up.

Grindlay barely played did he? I don't recall him ever being first choice. He was 2nd choice to MacDonald in his one season. The stats say he played 4 games but I can't recall anything about them.

The worst keeper I've seen play for us by a million miles is Kris Robertson but he played two games as a trialist (no idea how he got a 2nd). Not sure it's fair to condemn him on that. Worst I've seen play for us regularly would be Derrick Hoy. Terrible keeper.

I never really saw Bally play much, maybe 2 or 3 times at the tail end of his career so can't really comment on him. Alan Davidson was an outstanding keeper. A little short and by repute not terribly professional, but he could have gone a long way in the game if he'd concentrated on it. Of the others I'd have Jamie MacDonald as probably best since. Maybe McCrorie but he was half a season. Zander was good too. Never as big a Colin Scott fan as many are. He was decent but I'd have all those younger keeper ahead of him. I also thought Cammy Bell in his short loan was good. Lee Robinson in his 3rd spell was very good.

It's far too early to judge fairly I guess but Sol Brynn is getting better every week for me also. Made two or three outstanding saves at Arbroath on Saturday. Thought he was a little rooted to his line in the first month or so but he's improved immeasurably as he's settled in.

Worst were Roddy McKenzie, Bryn Halliwell but nobody was utterly hopeless as David Hutton. Be as well sticking a lump of coal in goals for all the good it would do.

Of those 3 I'd take Hutton first in a heartbeat. McKenzie was garbage for us but I don't think he was ever really expected to be played, just there for emergencies. He certainly put a dent in the theory that GKs get better with age.

I felt sorry for Halliwell when he was at us. Overall he was poor but I can remember the defence letting him down on more than one occasion but he took the stick from the fans. I can remember having an argument with someone in our European game in Airdrie actually. All game he slated the guy but not once did he direct any of his abuse to towards the defence.

Best Rovers keeper I've seen is Scott Thomson. Big fan of our current keeper as well. Obviously McGurn was tremendous as well and these would be clear top 3 for any Rovers fan who has followed the club from the late 80s until now I reckon. 

We did have a Scandinavian keeper for a veryshort time when we went through a spell of signing a lot of Scandinavian players in the late 90s. He was extremely good but cannae mind his name. 

Had far more bad keepers than good in my time watching the club.  too much to even list them all. Standouts  are Tam Carson, Rudy P, Graeme Smith and that keeper who played for us in the Fife Derby after Thomson got sent off in the semi against Airdrie in 94. Forgot his name too but he was fucking awful, shipped 5 goals and was never seen again. 

9 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Best Rovers keeper I've seen is Scott Thomson. Big fan of our current keeper as well. Obviously McGurn was tremendous as well and these would be clear top 3 for any Rovers fan who has followed the club from the late 80s until now I reckon. 

We did have a Scandinavian keeper for a veryshort time when we went through a spell of signing a lot of Scandinavian players in the late 90s. He was extremely good but cannae mind his name. 

Had far more bad keepers than good in my time watching the club.  too much to even list them all. Standouts  are Tam Carson, Rudy P, Graeme Smith and that keeper who played for us in the Fife Derby after Thomson got sent off in the semi against Airdrie in 94. Forgot his name too but he was fucking awful, shipped 5 goals and was never seen again. 

Raymond Allan. Don't think it helped the team were knackered/hungover from their midweek exertions in that match tbh.

I can't look past McGurn for the best. He made some unbelievable saves and I can't remember too many costly errors. Jamie McDonald is doing a fine job just now.

The worst? Rudy Pussyfanny. I swear he'd only played 5-a-side before he signed for us, yet he got a game ahead of Berthelot. Inexplicable.

I saw Allan Ball play, but it was towards the end and he was no longer the great he'd apparently been.  I think I'd pick Davidson as my favourite, with Robinson (during one spell) fairly close behind.

The competition feels fiercer for worst.  BJ Corr and Callum Antell were both dreadful but I felt bad for them both as they were clearly going through terrible crises of confidence that really damaged them.  Burridge wins this for me though.  The only thing that clown didn't lack was confidence.  He'd basically been finished for years by the time he rocked up at us.

I think I somehow missed all of Antell's infamous howlers, that or I have erased them from memory.  Either way I just felt sympathy for him more than anything.  It's horrible watching a youngster so clearly out of their depth visibly crumbling in front of your eyes.  Particularly as a goalkeeper where there is nowhere to hide.  He still merits a place on this list though.

Alan Martin was a fat immobile mess and one of the biggest disappointments in recent times having arrived by Queens standards with a big reputation.  I had a genuine hatred for him towards the end.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Ross Stewart yet, he was laughably bad.  It genuinely felt like anything on target was a goal when we had the misfortune of that clown.  I know we were shafted a bit by Rangers recalling McCrorie then loaning him to Livi but we effectively lost Livi's first choice 'keeper and replaced him with their third choice.  Another Johnston masterstroke.

Zander Clark and the aforementioned McCrorie stand out a mile for me as far as good goalies are concerned.  Jamie MacDonald was good and has gone on to have a successful career but didn't have the presence of the other too.  Clark looks to me the most likely to step up for Scotland once Craig Gordon calls it a day, and McCrorie should be knocking on the door as well assuming he doesn't damage his career too much on the Ibrox bench.

Ludovic Roy deserves a special mention in the "what could have been category".  He only played a handful of games before picking up an injury but if he'd kept up the standard of those games for a prolonged period he would have been one of our best ever.

I've gone on about our worst but the best... for sheer consistency over a prolonged time it's either Ruitenbeek or Westwater.

You could throw in de Vries as probably the best in terms of his goalkeeping ability and probably the best goalkeeping performance over a single season. Gallagher was outstanding in our SPL season 11/12 and might come closest to that. 

36 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Ross Stewart yet, he was laughably bad.  It genuinely felt like anything on target was a goal when we had the misfortune of that clown.  I know we were shafted a bit by Rangers recalling McCrorie then loaning him to Livi but we effectively lost Livi's first choice 'keeper and replaced him with their third choice.  Another Johnston masterstroke.

Zander Clark and the aforementioned McCrorie stand out a mile for me as far as good goalies are concerned.  Jamie MacDonald was good and has gone on to have a successful career but didn't have the presence of the other too.  Clark looks to me the most likely to step up for Scotland once Craig Gordon calls it a day, and McCrorie should be knocking on the door as well assuming he doesn't damage his career too much on the Ibrox bench.

Ludovic Roy deserves a special mention in the "what could have been category".  He only played a handful of games before picking up an injury but if he'd kept up the standard of those games for a prolonged period he would have been one of our best ever.

Again, that was McCrorie's choice, not Rangers particularly, though they didn't prevent it either.

I'd forgotten about Ross Stewart's short spell. I assume he must be better than we saw in his 2 months as Hearts seem happy to have him as back up to Gordon.

Tend to agree about Ludovic Roy too. He didn't appear to be all that big but he came and took crosses better than any keeper we've had in my lifetime I think.