Best and worse goalies

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

No Schenk or Souttar?

Schenk was in the Prem. And who is Souttar? You on about the guy that's mentioned in my post already?

Just now, AMMjag said:

Dunno how much he actually played, but Tony Bullock produced the best goalkeeping performance I've ever seen against us in 2009.

Gary Harkins scored and delivered a grudgingly excellent GIRFUY to the Thistle fans, dodging a few launched pies on his way.

Tony Bullock was absolutely excellent for us. Tarnished his reputation by donning a 'f**k the Dees' t-shirt and jumping on a United supporters bus to watch United in their Scottish Cup final at the end of that season so we don't talk about him tbh.

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Schenk was in the Prem. And who is Souttar? You on about the guy that's mentioned in my post already?

Ha, missed that you said Soutar.

There's nothing to say it was Premiership only.

36 minutes ago, Slacker said:

The worst performance I've seen was Mark Ridgers in his only start for us - 0-6 v Aberdeen. Colin Stewart is the worst who got a run in the team.

Cerny for best.

In addition to the 6-0 defeat to Aberdeen, Mark Ridgers appeared as a sub against Celtic for the injured Cerny and conceded a couple of goals in a 5-0 loss, and also shipped 5 goals in that random friendly against Lokeren during the winter break.

He definitely wasn’t solely responsible, but in the three games he featured for Thistle we conceded 16 goals, which is some going.

2 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Cerny and Gallagher would be the best since I've been following the club (early 00's); we would have been relegated from the top flight a lot sooner without either and Cerny especially put some amount of points on the table for us when we got top 6. Tuffey would be the third even if he had the odd howler in him - seeing him save a penalty from Giampaolo Pazzini was a fun novelty. 

We may have had worse goalkeepers (Graeme Smith, Colin Stewart) but Scully played in the team quite consistently for a period and so probably did more damage than most. Throw in Halliwell and Cammy Bell to round off the three.

Very close to how I’d go about rating our best & worst three keepers, from a similar timescale as a fan.

Honourable mention in the “shite” category to that big jobber Thorsten Stuckmann. His “pedigree” as a keeper suggested that he was probably better overall than utter haddies like Stewart, Smith and Halliwell, but we certainly didn’t see much in the way of positive goalkeeping from him in the few appearances he did make.

10 hours ago, philpy said:

Best  - davie mggurn, Scott Thomson, and Jamie macdonald.

Worst- Andy mcneill, rudy whatshisname, David berthelot.

Not having Berthelot but the rest are fair.

Who was the boy we had on loan from Hibs (I think) who was God-awful? His crowning glory being a game against Partick Thistle where he was beaten by a shot that hit the post, rolled across the goal line, hit the other post and as he scrambled back to get it, slipped and kicked it into his own goal.

Edit: Ally Brown!

Edit 2:

Edited by Sweaty Morph

2 hours ago, Sweaty Morph said:

Not having Berthelot but the rest are fair.

Who was the boy we had on loan from Hibs (I think) who was God-awful? His crowning glory being a game against Partick Thistle where he was beaten by a shot that hit the post, rolled across the goal line, hit the other post and as he scrambled back to get it, slipped and kicked it into his own goal.

Edit: Ally Brown!

Edit 2:

That is fucking sensational 😂😂😂

Our best was Daniel Bachmann. He was just ridiculously good, one of those guys who only came about on loan due to SC's connections. Meant that for a season we were able to enjoy someone who was way beyond our level. 

The worst ever was Colin Doyle. That Steven Gerrard cardboard cutout would have done better in nets, even after it had been punched to the ground. 

He had an absolutely spectacular ability to turn every moment in the game in to the stuff of abject terror, like only the very best horror director can. A routine pass back to the keeper? Penalty. A nothing cross floated in to the back post that the opposition don't even bother to attack? Own goal. A bread and butter save? A comedy of errors that leads to the opposition wheeling away in bemused celebration and Doyle lying upside down with his knees round his ears like a collapsed deckchair. 

The worst bit about all of this is that we had the opportunity to bring someone competent in in the January to replace him (like a 12 year old who's only recently taken up goalkeeping, or an 80 year old in a wheelchair) and the Chuckle Brothers James Fowler and Alex Dyer decided "Nah, we're good. He's giving the opposition several goals of a start every week, but we are good enough to overcome that as is"

The only conclusion we could draw in the end is that he had VERY compromising pictures of someone very senior at the club. 

Honestly, I'm going to stop, because this is not good for my mental health dredging all this up again. I'm going to go and lie down in a dark room for an hour now. 

Our best was Daniel Bachmann. He was just ridiculously good, one of those guys who only came about on loan due to SC's connections. Meant that for a season we were able to enjoy someone who was way beyond our level. 
The worst ever was Colin Doyle. That Steven Gerrard cardboard cutout would have done better in nets, even after it had been punched to the ground. 
He had an absolutely spectacular ability to turn every moment in the game in to the stuff of abject terror, like only the very best horror director can. A routine pass back to the keeper? Penalty. A nothing cross floated in to the back post that the opposition don't even bother to attack? Own goal. A bread and butter save? A comedy of errors that leads to the opposition wheeling away in bemused celebration and Doyle lying upside down with his knees round his ears like a collapsed deckchair. 
The worst bit about all of this is that we had the opportunity to bring someone competent in in the January to replace him (like a 12 year old who's only recently taken up goalkeeping, or an 80 year old in a wheelchair) and the Chuckle Brothers James Fowler and Alex Dyer decided "Nah, we're good. He's giving the opposition several goals of a start every week, but we are good enough to overcome that as is"
The only conclusion we could draw in the end is that he had VERY compromising pictures of someone very senior at the club. 
Honestly, I'm going to stop, because this is not good for my mental health dredging all this up again. I'm going to go and lie down in a dark room for an hour now. 
Bachmann was outstanding no doubt, and that clown who I will not name was worse than starting a goal down most weeks.
We had a run of keepers for decades though, which means that whatever standard we had on the rest of the park the last line of defence was always pretty reliable. The keepers throughout my youth were Stewart and McCullough, both of whom were international class, and neither of whom, according to older supporters, were as good as Bobby Ferguson*. Even when we started bringing in outsiders, Lekovic and Marshall did a job.
The worst thing for me last season was this new feeling that every opposition attack could result in a goal, even if they needed a helping hand from the clown between the posts.

* Ferguson made a save in the League decider at Tynecastle which was better than that Banks/Pele effort. You could say he won us the league.

Actually no been to bad with goalkeepers,
Craig Hinchcliffe would probably top the pile with Gaston and Darren Hills first spell solid too,
Darren Jamieson was good for us too, and a special mention to David Craword for his goal at Links Park

Worst I can remember would be Hutton, A young Robbie Mutch, Sandy Wood,
Alan Fleming had hairy moments too

Best - Westie, Butler, Ruitenbeek, McGregor, De Vries, Gallacher, Murdoch
Worst - Smith, Scully, Mehmet, OFW, Hrivnak
Remember I posted on Facebook that Mehmet was shite and you said I was being incredibly harsh? [emoji23]

Best Pars keeper: Westie
Worst: Even though De Vries got us relegated and cost us the Scottish Cup has to go to Mehmet.

As previously mentioned for us the best in my time, hands down, is Dave McGurn. MacDonald is comfortably in second place though. Not mentioned before but Michael Brown was a bit of a favourite for us before injuries. Had a bit of a cult favourite thing for Raul Ojeda as well, the boy just seemed to punch everything that came his way.

On the flip side we’ve had some proper comedy ‘keepers. Rudy “Pussyfanny” Pounoussamy was described by our website when we signed him as having “hands like buckets”. It’s easy to just knock an Anelka signing but he was fucking gash, couldn’t hold onto a ball. Ramiro Gonzalez was every bit the erratic, eccentric South American, another safely in the comedy ‘keeper bracket. Ally Brown too, as above, represented a real low ebb for the club. Not a comedy ‘keeper but I fucking hated Jamie Langfield too and the fact he had a solid SPL career after leaving us. He wasn’t great.

Ryan Scully was horrendous. I remember thinking he was shite before he went on loan to Dunfermline for two seasons, and I think he got player of the season twice for them, so when he came back I figured he must have improved a bit. Nope, still utterly abject shite.

Cammy Bell was properly bad too, as was Scott Fox when he came back. Stuckmann was a diddy, still mind a goal for Aberdeen where he got lobbed despite being about 9ft tall. And one against someone else where he came out for a cross and just took our centre half out instead, leaving the striker a tap in.

Cerny and Gallacher were excellent.

Our goalkeeper situation the couple of seasons before this one was absolutely disgraceful and a big factor in our relegation.

We had Jamie McDonald who was really competent and kept us in the top flight for a few seasons but once Clarke came in and we started to think about competing for European places and needed the step up that we got with Bachmann. However once Clarke left I think possibly at all levels of the club/support we maybe were looking for a bit too much and suddenly going back to boring, dependable Jamie McDonald felt like a bit of a backwards step. I honestly can’t even be bothered checking the spelling of the two keepers that Alessio went with in the 19/20 season but neither were any good, despite one of them being on loan from Juventus I’m sure.

Then last season we had Colin Doyle and Danny Rogers as our choices. I’m not too sure how Doyle ended up being our first choice, I personally preferred Rogers, but either way they were shite.

We've been quite lucky goalkeeper wise from when I started watching the Pars. Started with Ian Westwater but also had Guido van de Kamp, Kris Mampaey, Dorus de Vries, Allan McGregor, Lee Butler and Paul Gallagher who were all very good. I'd probably say de Vries was the best despite the error at Inverness. It would have been hard to pick a worst keeper although the likes of Scully, Smith and Halliwell would have been up there. Mehmet surely takes that title now though.

If we're talking goalies I actually saw in the flesh the best were probably Jamie MacDonald, Zander Clark, David Mathieson and Alan Davidson.  Lee Robinson was good in spells and a great penalty stopper but his final spell will be remembered mostly for his clownish antics.

Allan Ball was in the twilight years of his career and plagued with injury when I started attending matches so although he is probably considered to be our best keeper it's difficult for me to comment on how good he was.

We have recruited a seemingly endless list of diddies over the years, the worst I've seen being the permanently raging walking temper tantrum that was  Derek Hoy, closely followed by BJ Corr.  Dishonourable mentions go to Jim Butter, Alan Martin, Rikki Ferguson, Alex Williams, Willie Cunningham and John Hillcoat all of whom were capable of busting the dial on the howler-o-meter.

I never had the, ahem, pleasure, of seeing Calum Antell, John Burridge or Kris Robertson "play" for us but it those that did tend to be found rocking in the corner of a padded cell shortly after hearing their names mentioned in a QOS capacity...

Edited by Slipmat