Scotland Performance Schools

tartanbrush

9 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

In all fairness technique should be well drilled by the time players are 16/17.   Once they get to that age its about tactics, patterns of play and beginning to develop on physique.  You can argue those things aren't being taught right,  but they are what should be taught at that age.

In the words of alex rae when he was involved in our youth set up 

Once we get these guys from the performance schools we to unteach them what they've been taught to how the game is played

3 minutes ago, Binos said:

In the words of alex rae when he was involved in our youth set up 

Once we get these guys from the performance schools we to unteach them what they've been taught to how the game is played

alex rae is a gibbering c**t who should be ignored always.

In terms his point of view I think he's more thinking about not telling them not to be playing out from the back, into channels, hitting the big man etc.

Your not re-teaching how to take a good first touch,  hitting passes with the right weight etc,  

18 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

alex rae is a gibbering c**t who should be ignored always.

In terms his point of view I think he's more thinking about not telling them not to be playing out from the back, into channels, hitting the big man etc.

Your not re-teaching how to take a good first touch,  hitting passes with the right weight etc,  

Well aye

But that's still dismantling the players we're trying to build 

There's plenty of alex rae's out there in our club game 

1 minute ago, Binos said:

Well aye

But that's still dismantling the players we're trying to build 

There's plenty of alex rae's out there in our club game 

Don't disagree.  Performance schools developing better technical players is them doing their job well. Only a part of the system tho.

18 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Shite coaches has always been the issue.  They promote the rapid 6 footers and release the better players who are tiny. 

I’ve been to national under 14 tournaments as a coach where every shout from the coach when watching other games was ‘channels! Hit the channels!’ Fucking brutal. 

That is one thing that still bugs me about the Scottish game, majority of teams still play this way! I don't see any other pattern of play in Scotland . You watch even the Danes play football, constantly moving pulling players out of position to release another player, it is inventive. For Scotland the nation that invented the passing game we do nothing of the sort, kick and rush I still at the forefront of our game. Our players only start playing football when they leave this country

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

At least 95% of the performance school kids will never have as good a career as Alex Rae.

I think one of the points of the performance schools is the 5% who have outstanding careers at the highest level something Alex Rae could only dream about

Edited by tartanbrush

That is one thing that still bugs me about the Scottish game, majority of teams still play this way! I don't see any other pattern of play in Scotland . You watch even the Danes play football, constantly moving pulling players out of position to release another player, it is inventive. For Scotland the nation that invented the passing game we do nothing of the sort, kick and rush I still at the forefront of our game. Our players only start playing football when they leave this country
I don't think that's completely fair. I've seen a few teams in the Championship who look like their coaches have at least tried to coach their teams in such a way. It doesn't always work (my team, for example) and you could say that the coaches just aren't that good, but it's something you see a wee bit more of.

35 minutes ago, tartanbrush said:

I think one of the points of the performance schools is the 5% who have outstanding careers at the highest level something Alex Rae could only dream about

But by the time a player is working with Alex Rae at St Mirren in the Championship that's probably not going to apply to them.

I think we've definitely made a lot of progress in producing better technical players in the last 5+ years. We're still behind most other countries but at all levels of the game I think we've improved.

I've started playing amateur football for the first time in a while and most teams play out from the back these days, it's less about playing percentages and winning 50/50s.

As a child I played mostly in the Edinburgh League 1st Division and would consider myself one of the more skilful players in that league. Until this season I coached a 2010s team over the last few years and they played in the 4th Division, there were quite a few players who are technically better than I was at that age. They're made to play out from the back throughout primary school, and the majority (not all, granted) of coaches buy into that.

Some part-time football can still be a bit attritional, but certainly in recent seasons there have been more and more teams trying to play good football. 5 or 6 years I'd say Elgin stood out as one of the few teams in League 2 who played out from the back and kept the ball on the ground. Now it's fairly common and limited cloggers that used to be ten-a-penny are becoming relatively rare.

On 14/11/2021 at 20:28, craigkillie said:

At least 95% of the performance school kids will never have as good a career as Alex Rae.

Almost certainly true, but the SFA are remarkably poor at releasing data on the value of the PS system so we'll never know. They used to do annual reports but haven't published one in years, they also rarely update their own web pages. The PS system is their flagship programme, if the conversion rate was anything like 5% of graduates having a top (i.e. becoming an established Scottish international) career (and I would be surprised if it is even that high), they should be shouting from the rooftops about it. They should also be benchmarking themselves against top club/international systems around the world to know where and how they can do it better. Obviously it's very early days for production of full internationals, but where is the data on graduates going on to professional contracts, youth internationals etc. It should all be analysed and published, but it almost certainly won't be.

On 14/11/2021 at 17:43, TheScarf said:

Shite coaches has always been the issue.  They promote the rapid 6 footers and release the better players who are tiny. 

I’ve been to national under 14 tournaments as a coach where every shout from the coach when watching other games was ‘channels! Hit the channels!’ Fucking brutal. 

Been said over and over again that the much maligned " non competitive games" in the old pro youth set up was actually for the benefit of the adults & not the kids, kids want to win anyway

youth couches can often be far far too competitive to the point where they are only interested in winning at the time rather than the development of players. some boys clubs round here are notorious for it. and your correct it does sometimes lead to couches favouring the biggest and most physically developed boys at that age group, who can dominate smaller players , at the expensive of smaller but possibly technically better ones 

27 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Been said over and over again that the much maligned " non competitive games" in the old pro youth set up was actually for the benefit of the adults & not the kids, kids want to win anyway

youth couches can often be far far too competitive to the point where they are only interested in winning at the time rather than the development of players. some boys clubs round here are notorious for it. and your correct it does sometimes lead to couches favouring the biggest and most physically developed boys at that age group, who can dominate smaller players , at the expensive of smaller but possibly technically better ones 

Yeah - it is utterly tragic behaviour that grown adults managing a group of children care so much about winning, that it comes at the cost of player development. 

Absolute wee guy behaviour.