Global Warming. Ah, whatever . . .

oldbitterandgrumpy

50 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

One of the things that doesn't get highligted by the media because it doesn't fit the prevailing dumbed down narrative is that higher CO2 levels can actually help to alleviate that. Before anyone screams heretic think about this one a wee bit. If commercial greenhouses are all about keeping plants warmer with elevated CO2 levels to boost yields...

That's fine as long as water can be around to support the plants as well.  I'll admit that my post was based on perceptions, so I had a quick Google check.  The first article I found says -

"Deserts usually form in the sub-tropics due to airflow rising from the hotter equator and dropping back down around the tropics. However, scientists have observed that tropical latitudes are moving polewards at a speed of 30 miles per decade, and thus, the deserts within are expanding.

Source - https://earth.org/data_visualization/the-past-present-and-future-of-the-sahara-desert/

When I was at school I remember one discussion in economics about resource allocation.  It concerned the likely cause of a potential Middle East war... would it be about oil, or water?  I used to think that it would be absurd to fight over water. Now? I'm not so sure. 

It’s not really a significant problem. The population of the planet 1000 years ago was about 400m and the temperature actually rose as the population declined during the medieval warm period (if you believe the scientists who claim they can tell you what the temperature was in 1021). it’ll probably go up to 10bn and then gradually come back down. 

The planet was much warmer than it is now when there were far fewer people, and indeed when there were no people.

Planet seems to be able to cope with gradual rises and falls in populations of all its species just fine. 

16 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Aye, I have heard about the Medieval Warm Period and also the period when the Thames would freeze over and there would be markets held on the ice in winter, both of which suggests that the weather fluctuates. However, our betters have told us that the "science is settled" and that we are facing a certain disaster. Assuming they're wrong or, even worse, they're lying, what else are they wrong or deceiving us about?

They aren’t our betters though. The only track record they have is being wrong. They are elevated by the word “science” but they are really just apocalyptic soothsayers.

I don’t think it’s a calculated deception. Just something which has grown arms and legs into becoming an industry and a religion. People aren’t going to turn around and suddenly be honest when there are egos and cash at stake.

what we can do though is live our lives without fear.

• 3 months later...
On 25/11/2021 at 05:09, AlbionSaint said:

A micro-apartment in Japan:

Maybe this is the future for the 99%?

I am interested in buying a plot like this one. A structural engineer inspection company on the gold coast provided me with a good plot, but it wasn't within my budget. Maybe your idea could help.            

Edited by richardstarc

On 24/02/2022 at 20:27, richardstarc said:

I am interested in buying a plot like this one. A structural engineer inspection company on the gold coast provided me with a good plot, but it wasn't within my budget. Maybe your idea could help.            

Thanks for sharing your opinion about it but I need more help, If you don't mind.