Going to Qatar?

cyderspaceman

Went to Australia with QA via Doha a few years ago and after a 20 hour delay at Edinburgh while they flew engineers over to bring a part with them, also had to spend 12 hours in Doha. They sent us to a hotel in town so ended up going out for a look around.

Seemed shite. Ridiculous place to be holding a major football tournament. 

If we were to qualify the atmosphere over here would be great anyway. 

If Qatar thought that they'd need the Tartan army, and other big travelling fan countries, out there to make it a success, then they'd probably arrange cheap flights. As it is they'll probably be happy filling the 5 star hotels at top price and not having hordes of pished up foreigners to deal with, and making a bundle from Qatar airlines and the TV deal.

If Qatar thought that they'd need the Tartan army, and other big travelling fan countries, out there to make it a success, then they'd probably arrange cheap flights. As it is they'll probably be happy filling the 5 star hotels at top price and not having hordes of pished up foreigners to deal with, and making a bundle from Qatar airlines and the TV deal.

Why would the nation of Qatar make any money from the TV deal?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Why would the nation of Qatar make any money from the TV deal?

Yeah, I thought FIFA split the rights revenue with the hosts, turns out they just hand over a fixed sum and pocket all the rights and sponsorship money (for those who didn't know either).

7 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I've worked in Qatar and it will indeed cost a pretty penny.

The lack of hotel beds will be a factor

If we qualify then I will probably base myself in Bahrain or the Uae and fly in and out on the day of the games 

Wasn't even considering going but you've got me thinking. Probably too expensive but a holiday in Oman combined with nipping over for a few games would be tempting, if they lay on cheap flights locally to fill up the stadia.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Wasn't even considering going but you've got me thinking. Probably too expensive but a holiday in Oman combined with nipping over for a few games would be tempting, if they lay on cheap flights locally to fill up the stadia.

There are a couple of cheap airlines in the middle east I paid just under 20 quid for a flight with flydubai  from Dubai to Bahrain a couple of years ago and hopefully they have survived covid 

6 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

There are a couple of cheap airlines in the middle east I paid just under 20 quid for a flight with flydubai  from Dubai to Bahrain a couple of years ago and hopefully they have survived covid 

There's a newish Saudi budget airline with a terrible name, Flyadeal, that's mainly internal but is expanding with Dubai and Kuwait routes already. Not sure if they're pals again with Qatar but worth keeping an eye on.

Just now, welshbairn said:

There's a newish Saudi budget airline with a terrible name, Flyadeal, that's mainly internal but is expanding with Dubai and Kuwait routes already. Not sure if they're pals again with Qatar but worth keeping an eye on.

Cheers...yeah all pals again so you can travel from other countries in the region direct into Doha again 

Might be worth the tartan army chartering a cruise ship for the group stage, park it up by the docks. Hell would probably be something like being stuck on a cruise ship with the tartan army though.

Edited by welshbairn

Just Silverburn in the middle of a desert, ain't it? Pile of pish. Literally nothing enticing about it. A country that has almost zero interest in football, scorching heat, absolutely solid to get to, and no culture whatsoever, apart from being radically homophobic, among plenty of other horrible things. Ram it. 

I'll be partying in town like the majority of us, watching us get pumped off Uruguay and the likes as we make excuses about the heat. 

Edited by DAFC.

Just Silverburn in the middle of a desert, ain't it? Pile of pish. Literally nothing enticing about it. A country that has almost zero interest in football, scorching heat, absolutely solid to get to, and no culture whatsoever, apart from being radically homophobic, among plenty of other horrible things. Ram it. 
I'll be partying in town like the majority of us, watching us get pumped off Uruguay and the likes as we make excuses about the heat. 
The average temperature when this is held it between 25 and 30 degrees. We'll be fine...

But aye, it'll be Glasgow in the pishing rain for me.

On 12/11/2021 at 22:16, cyderspaceman said:

I'm surprised there is not a topic on this already.

Maybe there is and I just can't find it, apologies if so,  I'll delete this if pointed in the right direction.

If Scotland qualify for the finals,  Is anyone on here planning to go to Qatar?

I have been fortunate enough to have been to 5 WC final stages and have some great memories

but I have absolutely no desire to attend the 2022 finals. 

This may be because i'm 70 years old and wretched but I really can't see it being a fun time.

I've googled Qatar and it appears to be shit, in an expensive, exclusive, high class,  sort of way.

No sex and drugs and sausage rolls.

Can't really see it being a Tartan Army-friendly type place. Or any other football fans for that matter.

I'm not even talking about all the human rights/political/environmental  reasons for not going, which are all valid. 

I can totally respect your reasons for not wanting to go. And anyone else’s for the obvious human rights issue.

For me, I grew up thinking Scotland would be World Cup regulars and then didn’t see one again from when I was 17. I’m realistic enough to think this might happen again so I’ll personally go just because this might be the only time I get to see Scotland at a World Cup.

Saying that, we’ve still not even qualified yet.

On 16/11/2021 at 13:41, welshbairn said:

Might be worth the tartan army chartering a cruise ship for the group stage, park it up by the docks. Hell would probably be something like being stuck on a cruise ship with the tartan army though.

Better idea than the 1978 submarine.

8 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Better idea than the 1978 submarine.

Quick google says it could be doable for about £1000 a cabin for a week, which would likely be cheaper than the hotels. Count me out though.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Quick google says it could be doable for about £1000 a cabin for a week, which would likely be cheaper than the hotels. Count me out though.

I read an article somewhere recently that said docking loads of cruise ships and basically using them as hotels is one of the ways they’re getting around the lack of hotel rooms for the tournament. It also mentioned something else touched on in this thread that was the UAE are going to try and encourage people to stay there and presumably it would be Emirates will put on flights to Qatar for fans.