Going to Qatar?

cyderspaceman

I'm surprised there is not a topic on this already.

Maybe there is and I just can't find it, apologies if so,  I'll delete this if pointed in the right direction.

If Scotland qualify for the finals,  Is anyone on here planning to go to Qatar?

I have been fortunate enough to have been to 5 WC final stages and have some great memories

but I have absolutely no desire to attend the 2022 finals. 

This may be because i'm 70 years old and wretched but I really can't see it being a fun time.

I've googled Qatar and it appears to be shit, in an expensive, exclusive, high class,  sort of way.

No sex and drugs and sausage rolls.

Can't really see it being a Tartan Army-friendly type place. Or any other football fans for that matter.

I'm not even talking about all the human rights/political/environmental  reasons for not going, which are all valid. 

Edited by cyderspaceman
typo

I don't think you can really look at Qatar now and compare it to what it'll be like during the tournament.  I imagine there will be a lot of leeway shown during that month.  In the run up to the tournament you'll likely have the papers running all sorts of stories about how travelling fans are definitely going to be thrown in jail forever (see "you're all going to die" prior to South Africa) and then nothing will happen during that month as everyone has a big nudge nudge wink wink party for the football.  Just get out before it all finishes, as that'll soon change.

Having said that though, zero interest to travel.

On 13/11/2021 at 10:22, welshbairn said:

I'm saving up to do Euros 2024 in style instead.

Now your talking! I went there in 74 and enjoyed the experience (not so much two of the results, I was behind the goal that Bremner missed).

The locals were great although the lady trying to help us when we were feeding single shillings into a ticket machine was a bit put out.

(the coin was the same size as a mark. )

The visit to one of the licensed brothels was also memorable.

The Tartan Army at the time was rather 'unreconstructed' , e.g. burning the German flag on the terracing,

( there were a large number of British sojers in the crowd, maybe relevant, maybe not) 

but I think the overall experience helped shape the TA's future.  i.e. Have a good time without violence. Singing, dancing, drinking and shagging are more fun.

1 minute ago, cyderspaceman said:

The locals were great although the lady trying to help us when we were feeding single shillings into a ticket machine was a bit put out.

(the coin was the same size as a mark. )

Those were the days! Took a bag of 5p coins over for the fag machines, pretty sure that's why they changed it to these horrible wee things you can't pick up.

I suspect should we qualify it will be a similar scenario to 1978, at least as far as traveling is concerned.

For all those saying already they can't wait it will likely end up a small percentage who make the journey once they research the costs involved and nothing like the numbers who would like to be there.

Argentina was the most hyped World Cup ever for Scotland and following qualification everyone seemed to be going yet only around 6-700 made it to South America when it came to the crunch.

Edited by Anfield 1977

On 13/11/2021 at 09:06, Lurkst said:

Use a bit of geographic license

"Que sera sera,

Whatever will be will be,

We're going to the UAE,

Que sera sera."

Maybe there’s a place/stadium in Qatar that rhymes with Italy.

I was lucky enough to get to all 3 games at Euro 96 and the  Norway game in Bordeaux in 98 so already discussed going with my mate if we qualify as Scotland in a finals does not come along often nowadays.

I do a bit of backpacking so used to roughing it and do not drink so my budget will probably be less than a lot of the TA.  As others have said, Edinburgh to Quatar via Doha is possible route and thanks to the internet, finding accommodation to suit your budget makes it more doable instead of the old days when you were at the mercy of travel agents.  That said, can see how it might not appeal to some.

If we not will probably give it a miss as already eyeing up St Petersburg or Seville for Euro finals next May.

Also planning on Euro 24 whether we qualify or not.

1 hour ago, Sugar_Army said:

I was lucky enough to get to all 3 games at Euro 96 and the  Norway game in Bordeaux in 98 so already discussed going with my mate if we qualify as Scotland in a finals does not come along often nowadays.

I do a bit of backpacking so used to roughing it and do not drink so my budget will probably be less than a lot of the TA.  As others have said, Edinburgh to Quatar via Doha is possible route and thanks to the internet, finding accommodation to suit your budget makes it more doable instead of the old days when you were at the mercy of travel agents.  That said, can see how it might not appeal to some.

If we not will probably give it a miss as already eyeing up St Petersburg or Seville for Euro finals next May.

Also planning on Euro 24 whether we qualify or not.

You've done your research then.

7 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You've done your research then.

Lol...yeah, I should open a travel centre with that advice huh?😂

I meant to say Edinburgh to Qatar/Doha then say there will also be the Glasgow via Heathrow option albeit a bit longer then decided against it and started deleting/cutting/pasting,  hence to c0ck up.  What an erse.😉

Probably too far in advance to see prices, and comparing like for like now is probably a waste of time as prices to fly out late Nov 2021 will be high as airlines know you are running out of time so can charge silly money to anybody desperate.  On the flip side, prices for world cup will be higher than normal I expect.

I am probably like a few on here that if I have enough time to plan ahead I usually activate fare alerts with airlines/screenscrapers.  I also try and book some kind of accommodation that gives full refunds if you cancel well enough in advance.  That way I know at least I have something secured and have more time to look around for a real bargain.

Who'd have thought we would have have been even dreaming of this after the first few matches.

10 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Lol...yeah, I should open a travel centre with that advice huh?😂

I meant to say Edinburgh to Qatar/Doha then say there will also be the Glasgow via Heathrow option albeit a bit longer then decided against it and started deleting/cutting/pasting,  hence to c0ck up.  What an erse.😉

Probably too far in advance to see prices, and comparing like for like now is probably a waste of time as prices to fly out late Nov 2021 will be high as airlines know you are running out of time so can charge silly money to anybody desperate.  On the flip side, prices for world cup will be higher than normal I expect.

I am probably like a few on here that if I have enough time to plan ahead I usually activate fare alerts with airlines/screenscrapers.  I also try and book some kind of accommodation that gives full refunds if you cancel well enough in advance.  That way I know at least I have something secured and have more time to look around for a real bargain.

Who'd have thought we would have have been even dreaming of this after the first few matches.

Haha. Happens to us all pal.

I lived in Qatar for four years and the flights got really expensive when the Arab nations fell out with Qatar. Emirates and Etihad stopped flying to and from there giving Qatar Airways the monopoly. When the fact that Saudi stopped QA from using their airspace got factored in, the prices became mental and one one of the many reasons we moved back to Europe. At the finish up, it was 1200 notes for a return flight to Edinburgh. The disagreement has been resolved now but not sure whether the airlines have resumed or not.

When you're there, the cost of living is high, depending on what you do. Taxis are really cheap if you use the local ones (Karwa) but make sure they put their meter on- refuse to pay if they don't! Take away food can be found very cheaply if you go away from the city centre area and I think the Metro service is very cheap too. Accommodation will of course be dependent on what type you take but would think it will be hefty. When we left in 2019, alcohol was crazy expensive. Glass of wine circa £20 and a beer at a minimum of a tenner for a bottle. Not sure if they'll price differently for the tournament but it won't be a cheap do. 

On the plus side, Doha is small and the stadia are all within easy reach of each other. Furthest journey between them could be around an hour, although the traffic is bad at the best of times and will be hellish at that time.  It will certainly be a different venue for the Tartan Army to visit. Just hope Scotland can get there.

Edited by jimbaxters

Flown through Doha a few times but never managed to get out the airport.  Flew to Bali with QA on 11th March 2020.  Might seem crazy now but we had spoke with airline, travel company, travel insurance, as well checking Malaysian Govt, WHO and Foreign Office...none had any issues with us going there. It was only because they a said it was fine we went.  Airline were not offering refunds at this point which was another reason.  I doubt anyone thought things were going to change so quickly, and certainly not how it would impact the world the way it has.

We were supposed to return on 24th via Doha but cancelled they Doha-Edinburgh connection on 19th and did not tell us and Doha was locking down.  Only found out due to the fact we had been constantly checking FCO etc as while everything was almost normal in Bali (other than the fact the tourist numbers were down) we were still wary.

We tried contacting QA via their social media, even went to their local office and they would not help us as we had not booked directly via them.  Travel company were even denying our flight had been cancelled (until I sent the screenshot).  GF had same issue with BA (it was a code share flight).  At one point the travel company tried to sell me a flight until I pointed out that it had gone 90 mins earlier!

We had originally paid about £700 return for each of our flights.  As everything was going t!TS up I ended up having to pay £1200 one way via travel company and GF had to pay her own costing £1700. We flew back via London, landing in Edinburgh on 21st and UK started into Lockdown on 23rd do just made it.   We were lucky in that we fought tooth and nail with QA, BA, travel company and travel insurer and eventually got it all back via our credit card.  Cannot really complain as many were not so lucky.  Hoping my next dealing with them is a bit better.

Appreciate you both giving me (us) an insight.  Flights and accommodation will be the big one.  I do not drink and always happy to eat cheap but cannot say the same for my mate. 

As you have both said, while the laws might be relaxed, it is not going to be cheap and I doubt dancing in fountains while flashing your Glencarse to the locals will be approved (understandably so).  Think a lot of things will have to be considered both before booking and how to enjoy yourself once there.