ASK A TOP FLIGHT MANAGER

Three boys go into a shop top buy a video game. The game costs £30 and each boy has £10 each. The boys club together to buy the game. 

As the boys leave, the store the manager comes from the back and says to the sales assistant that the game should have been £25, not £30. The manager gives the sales assistant five pound coins and tells him to go after the three boys and give them the change. 

The sales assistant, however, decides to pocket two of the pound coins. He gives each boy one pound coin each.

So the question is this. Each boy put in £10 and got £1 back. So each paid £9. Three boys paying £9 is £27. A further £2 is in the sales assistant's pocket. This takes our total to £29.

Where is the missing pound?

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Three boys go into a shop top buy a video game. The game costs £30 and each boy has £10 each. The boys club together to buy the game. 

As the boys leave, the store the manager comes from the back and says to the sales assistant that the game should have been £25, not £30. The manager gives the sales assistant five pound coins and tells him to go after the three boys and give them the change. 

The sales assistant, however, decides to pocket two of the pound coins. He gives each boy one pound coin each.

So the question is this. Each boy put in £10 and got £1 back. So each paid £9. Three boys paying £9 is £27. A further £2 is in the sales assistant's pocket. This takes our total to £29.

You should use that in a tutorial that you're going to have to now deliver at 3pm.

which country do you hate more, italy or france?

Simpsons references aside, assuming its not Stevie G or Angie P then I'd ask what they think of refereeing whenever they come up against Rangers* or Celtic, especially away from home; basically if they think referees sometimes (or more often than not depending on who the ref is and what lodge they go to) struggle to deal with the pressure of having to referee their games due to the extra media focus, larger more vociferous support at the game, greater Sportscene scrutiny etc. Might get a diplomatic "these things balance out over a season" answer or that most referees are fine, but I'm hoping to trigger a Leveinesque outburst of pent up frustration at an accumulation of injustice.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

19 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Oh oh oh me me me! I think I've seen stuff like this before, its solveable through the wonder that is double entry bookkeeping, I'm not on Excel, so this might look messy but

BOY A

Opening Balance £10

Transfer to Store £10 = £0 Balance

Transfer from Sales Assistant of £1 = £1 Balance

BOY B

Opening Balance £10

BOY C

Opening Balance £10

STORE

Opening Balance £0

Transfer from Boys = £30 Balance

Store Manager transfer to Sales Assistant of £5 = £25 Balance

SALES ASSISTANT

Opening Balance £0

Transfer from Store Manager of £5 = £5 balance 

Transfer to Boy A of £1 = £4 Balance

Transfer to Boy B of £1 = £3 Balance

Transfer to Boy C of £1 = £2 Balance

I think basically the "missing pound" is in the stores account from the way its worded.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Oh oh oh me me me! I think I've seen stuff like this before, its solveable through the wonder that is double entry bookkeeping, I'm not on Excel, so this might look messy but

BOY A

Opening Balance £10

BOY B

Opening Balance £10

BOY C

Opening Balance £10

STORE

Opening Balance £0

Transfer from Boys = £30 Balance

Store Manager transfer to Sales Assistant of £5 = £25 Balance

SALES ASSISTANT

Opening Balance £0

Transfer from Store Manager of £5 = £5 balance 

Transfer to Boy A of £1 = £4 Balance

Transfer to Boy B of £1 = £3 Balance

Transfer to Boy C of £1 = £2 Balance

I think basically the "missing pound" is in the stores account from the way its worded.

Agreed, it's the way it's worded.

I think the sum is £9 + 9 + 9 + 5 = £32 less £2 = 30.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Have you ever deliberately chosen not to sub on a player because the fans keep asking for them?

Have you ever deliberately chosen not to sub on a player because said player keeps chapping your door through the week asking for gametime?

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

8C21FA0D-172E-452D-827C-006F5554C7AF.gif