East Fife v Airdrieonians

2 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Not even fit enough for the bench which isn't a good sign after his brief appearance last weekend.

My thoughts too as well as Josh Kerr still absent. We would be so much stronger with Kerr at the back and McCabe in place of Agnew in midfield.

That was a decent game of football and you wouldn’t have knew the teams were top vs bottom. Airdrie the best team I’ve seen this season just slightly better than Montrose. Credit to East Fife they held on in there and made Airdrie fight all the way for the 3 points. Earlier in the season we would have lost that game by a barrow load. Thought Murdoch, Steel and McManus were excellent at the back and our young goalkeeper was excellent. Airdrie s passing and movement was excellent in the first half hour and we struggled to get a foot hold in the game. We managed to impose ourselves more on the game in the second half but the red card stopped us putting in final push. Feel we are improving week on week and next week is the proverbial 9 pointer away to Clyde and the players will feel it’s a great chance to get of the bottom.

Just back in so I will post before reading anyone else's musings. Thought we were the better side but it was a stuffy kind of performance for much of the first half from both teams. We maybe had a few close things and I thought Smith's header would have opened the scoring but Smith in the EF goal made many good saves in the match. It was a lovely bit of creative work from Easton that gave Gallagher that chance and goal. We were a bit fortunate when EF ought to have equalised from a deep cross into the far post. For much of the 2nd half it was more direct pressure from EF and I thought Wallace and Connell were both  a handful but our back 4 stuck to their jobs. Some of our counter attacking ought to have produced a 2nd which would have let me relax  a wee bit. Some of the saves from Smith were   just as much clear misses from our attackers. I would need to watch the highlights but there was a lovely bit of play from McGill which deserved a goal. There was still a scare as a long free kick from EF was lost to my view until Currie fell on it.  I would need to see the first yellow card for Keiran  but the 2nd one was a yellow card all day and it's  a foul he did not need to make. Even against 10 I know how we have toiled this season so pleased to come away with a win, There was a bit of a disagreement between Brian Prunty and one of our fans over the "keep it in the corner" last few minutes and although I don't like it, it is how games are managed nowadays: why berate your own team for "seeing out the game" Still top of L1 and a top clash over Cove to come-lets pay them back for our poor away performance. Glad to see Rico back and a balanced solid shape. Hope McInroy's cut and head knock is manageable.

Edited by Chapelhall chap

14 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

That was a decent game of football and you wouldn’t have knew the teams were top vs bottom. Airdrie the best team I’ve seen this season just slightly better than Montrose. Credit to East Fife they held on in there and made Airdrie fight all the way for the 3 points. Earlier in the season we would have lost that game by a barrow load. Thought Murdoch, Steel and McManus were excellent at the back and our young goalkeeper was excellent. Airdrie s passing and movement was excellent in the first half hour and we struggled to get a foot hold in the game. We managed to impose ourselves more on the game in the second half but the red card stopped us putting in final push. Feel we are improving week on week and next week is the proverbial 9 pointer away to Clyde and the players will feel it’s a great chance to get of the bottom.

I think the kind of play EF had in much of the 2nd half will produce some good results and you were much better than in the previous defeat. Some of it was a bit direct but thats often the quickest way to a goal. As I said in my post had that chance been taken who knows how the game would have developed. Your back three were good but it will be interesting to see how they deal with Goodwillie. Callum Gallagher always seems to score against you but GDW can do it against most sides. Arrived a wee bit lateish 2.48 but what's the point of having picked seats online to be told just to sit anywhere and all the upper seats are gone. Hate ground level views -grumpy old man , sorry.

22 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Just back in so I will post before reading anyone else's musings. Thought we were the better side but it was a stuffy kind of performance for much of the first half from both teams. We maybe had a few close things and I thought Smith's header would have opened the scoring but Smith in the EF goal made many good saves in the match. It was a lovely bit of creative work from Easton that gave Gallagher that chance and goal. We were a bit fortunate when EF ought to have equalised from a deep cross into the far post. For much of the 2nd half it was more direct pressure from EF and I thought Wallace and Connell were both  a handful but our back 4 stuck to their jobs. Some of our counter attacking ought to have produced a 2nd which would have let me relax  a wee bit. Some of the saves from Smith were   just as much clear misses from our attackers. I would need to watch the highlights but there was a lovely bit of play from McGill which deserved a goal. There was still a scare as a long free kick from EF was lost to my view until Currie fell on it.  I would need to see the first yellow card for Keiran  but the 2nd one was a yellow card all day and it's  a foul he did not need to make. Even against 10 I know how we have toiled this season so pleased to come away with a win, There was a bit of a disagreement between Brian Prunty and one of our fans over the "keep it in the corner" last few minutes and although I don't like it, it is how games are managed nowadays: why berate your own team for "seeing out the game" Still top of L1 and a top clash over Cove to come-lets pay them back for our poor away performance. Glad to see Rico back and a balanced solid shape. Hope McInroy's cut and head knock is manageable.

That was embarrassing from a section of your support. You are winning 1-0 away from home. Of course you run down the clock if you get a corner in injury-time. 

You lads deserved the win today. The referee's performance didn't matter in the end, except for Kieran's suspension obviously. 

10 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I think the kind of play EF had in much of the 2nd half will produce some good results and you were much better than in the previous defeat. Some of it was a bit direct but thats often the quickest way to a goal. As I said in my post had that chance been taken who knows how the game would have developed. Your back three were good but it will be interesting to see how they deal with Goodwillie. Callum Gallagher always seems to score against you but GDW can do it against most sides. Arrived a wee bit lateish 2.48 but what's the point of having picked seats online to be told just to sit anywhere and all the upper seats are gone. Hate ground level views -grumpy old man , sorry.

Airdrie looked really sharp in that first half hour a good finish by Gallagher and I said he always scores against East Fife. Airdrie probably deserved the win but I would have liked to have seen 11 v 11 for last 15 minutes as we were getting on top at that stage. For what it’s worth ref and linesman were brutal in that 2nd half red card probably about the right call in his defence. 

4 hours ago, Mr November said:

Delighted to see Gallagher get a goal. He’s normally the first attacker people want dropped but he brings a lot to the team and has generally played very well in recent weeks. No surprise to see him scoring today, his record against East Fife is incredible :lol: 

3056082B-5EF1-4F79-8AB6-4BDA0F54FFFF.jpeg.b5cb2a4dfb4ef01b4e35ed1edb50db61.jpeg

Was just saying at the game that Gallagher seems to score against us every time he plays against us. But it's just the 11 goals in 12 games against us so he must have drawn at least one blank.

My view on the game is pretty much in line with what's already been said. Very impressed with Airdrie and they deserved the 3 points. We could certainly have nicked a point and I thought we put in a good performance but at the same time, Jude Smith had an excellent game and airdrie had chances to win by a larger margin.

Airdrie keep playing like that and they'll be very serious title contenders. We keep playing like that and we'll be out of the bottom 2 before too long.

Edited by Gordon EF

25 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

That was embarrassing from a section of your support. You are winning 1-0 away from home. Of course you run down the clock if you get a corner in injury-time. 

You lads deserved the win today. The referee's performance didn't matter in the end, except for Kieran's suspension obviously. 

It was maybe only one guy and the rest of us agree with you about the clock. I know there were lots of shouts from the away end about the Ref etc and it's all in the eye of the beholder .  Watching from that low position is my excuse for maybe not seeing his errors! He is not the worst of the current crop but we all need good refs . It's always struck me that players make far more mistakes and many of the players and fans ( me as well) would never want a Referee role.

43 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It was maybe only one guy and the rest of us agree with you about the clock. I know there were lots of shouts from the away end about the Ref etc and it's all in the eye of the beholder .  Watching from that low position is my excuse for maybe not seeing his errors! He is not the worst of the current crop but we all need good refs . It's always struck me that players make far more mistakes and many of the players and fans ( me as well) would never want a Referee role.

Yes, it was just one guy, plus an always grumpy Airdrie fan agreeing with him. No idea why some people go to games and moan when we win. Seriously. 

Enjoyed that today. Played well 1st half and as said by others EF gave us a few problems in the 2nd half. We’re playing well but my worry is not converting good possession into goals often enough.

Hope Kerr is ok for next week as I think he’s shown he’s really improved the midfield since he arrived and is a must pick.

And by the way your mince pies are boggin.

7 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

Enjoyed that today. Played well 1st half and as said by others EF gave us a few problems in the 2nd half. We’re playing well but my worry is not converting good possession into goals often enough.

Hope Kerr is ok for next week as I think he’s shown he’s really improved the midfield since he arrived and is a must pick.

And by the way your mince pies are boggin.

The Bovril was piping hot and very tasty. I agree about McInroy. 

12 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Hoping you're wrong obviously. Seems the most likely game for an upset though. Can't see Cove or QP slipping up. For me, a win is not only about keeping us top but keeping our strong form going going into the Cove game at home next week. 

But for today's game, hoping to see McCabe back into midfield but think he will still be at the back as cannot see Lyons being fully match fit yet. LB? Who knows. 

We've enough about us to go there and get goals though so let's just hope we score more than them. 3-2 Airdrie. 

I was wrong, but the Fife are improving. Congratulations on your win today though

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Was just saying at the game that Gallagher seems to score against us every time he plays against us. But it's just the 11 goals in 12 games against us so he must have drawn at least one blank.

My view on the game is pretty much in line with what's already been said. Very impressed with Airdrie and they deserved the 3 points. We could certainly have nicked a point and I thought we put in a good performance but at the same time, Jude Smith had an excellent game and airdrie had chances to win by a larger margin.

Airdrie keep playing like that and they'll be very serious title contenders. We keep playing like that and we'll be out of the bottom 2 before too long.

To be fair to Airdrie we have played that way , even better sometimes in a large number of games this season,    We do need to get that 2nd goal earlier and kill games off,    as I said after the home game against East Fife,  they were not the worst side I have seen and I stand by that,  You should see of f Clyde and Dumbarton comfortably i reckon........   Connell is a player I would like to see in the diamond again.

Can only agree that it didn't look like a top Vs bottom game tbh, thought east fife were certainly better than the first fixture.

First half an hour I thought we looked confident, patient, fluid and settled. I can't remember who's header it was (smith or gal) but the keepers made an unreal save to keep that out, or so it looked from the far side of the stand. Lovely bit of play again by Easton and a good finish by Gal for the goal. 

Straight away, east fife had what I would say was there "easiest" chance of the game, cracking ball to the back post and the attackers got to hit the target esp after doing the hard bit keeping the ball low. Second half I felt EF posed far more of a threat and Currie made some solid blocks, albeit ones you'd HOPE he would make.

We could and probably should have had a couple more but for a mixture of poor finishing and good goal keeping. Was the first yellow card for the head clash? I didn't see that and assumed it was just an accidental clash, no? But to trip Easton when he was already on a caution was a bit of a poor decision, esp when EF at that point we're really in the game.

Thought frizzell again is really proving what an asset to this team he is, his running, control and hunger to win the ball really show, if I can be a little critical.... He's too one footed!

Anyway, I said I'd be happy with a shitfest 1-0..... We got 2/3's of a professional display and the other third decent defending so can't complain.

By the way, anyone complaining about ball in the corner is an absolute helmet, I mentioned on another thread we've been guilty of throwing late leads away in recent years, I'm happy enough for them to "manage" a game out, especially an away day in Methil.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Can only agree that it didn't look like a top Vs bottom game tbh, thought east fife were certainly better than the first fixture.

First half an hour I thought we looked confident, patient, fluid and settled. I can't remember who's header it was (smith or gal) but the keepers made an unreal save to keep that out, or so it looked from the far side of the stand. Lovely bit of play again by Easton and a good finish by Gal for the goal. 

Straight away, east fife had what I would say was there "easiest" chance of the game, cracking ball to the back post and the attackers got to hit the target esp after doing the hard bit keeping the ball low. Second half I felt EF posed far more of a threat and Currie made some solid blocks, albeit ones you'd HOPE he would make.

We could and probably should have had a couple more but for a mixture of poor finishing and good goal keeping. Was the first yellow card for the head clash? I didn't see that and assumed it was just an accidental clash, no? But to trip Easton when he was already on a caution was a bit of a poor decision, esp when EF at that point we're really in the game.

Thought frizzell again is really proving what an asset to this team he is, his running, control and hunger to win the ball really show, if I can be a little critical.... He's too one footed!

Anyway, I said I'd be happy with a shitfest 1-0..... We got 2/3's of a professional display and the other third decent defending so can't complain.

By the way, anyone complaining about ball in the corner is an absolute helmet, I mentioned on another thread we've been guilty of throwing late leads away in recent years, I'm happy enough for them to "manage" a game out, especially an away day in Methil.

One thing for sure if Airdrie play like they did in the first half this week and second half last week we will not be far away from winning league. Next week will be tough ask but we can do it, 

Great to see us at top of league we'll done to team and manager,