Queen’s Park v Clyde

26 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Shout out to Sparky Docherty at left back, by the way. After looking genuinely awful (and I mean, absolutely finished) in pre-season, he has played relatively well the last few weeks. Other than one poor moment in the second half, I felt he was very solid today.

Our defence sits deep as it is but he was miles behind the rest of them on a number of occasions. It was bizarre seeing a full-back so far behind his centre halves. We'll get caught out with that at some point. I'd agree that he's done well in general, definitely better than Livingstone was doing, and you can still see the signs that he was a decent player in his day. We've also got much better performances out of Splaine and Gomis in the last couple of games, whilst Kennedy had a decent 45 minutes.

For the second times this season, I thought a draw was a fair result and for us it's a first 0-0 in almost two years. We had probably the two best chances through Gomis and the penalty, whilst QP had more efforts on goal (two great saves from Parry, who I still don't think is appreciated enough) and also hit the bar twice. 

I absolutely hate wingers so it was great for QP to give me more ammunition. Stuck out wide and the trio of centre midfielders didn't get anywhere near McHugh. That mean on the occasions a ball was swung into the box, we were always fairly comfortable numbers wise. I thought Gillespie had a great game at Broadwood but was awful today. I don't get the feeling that Longstaff will be pushing for a spot in his parent club's team any time soon.

Everyone accepts that Danny Lennon has had a nightmare with his recruitment but there's no doubt he's best suited to getting the maximum out of the team that we do have. The players, bar one who will hopefully not be seen again, put absolutely everything into that game today. It's such a shame that we don't have that one other game changer as it would make a massive difference. As much as we've done well to get two points in two games, given how the matches went then it's two ties that we could easily have won with just a wee bit better quality of player. 

It's easy to say that if we had scored the penalty then we would have gone onto win but I thought we kept QP at bay because we didn't camp out in our penalty box. I'm not convinced we would have held out if we had started to sit deeper and deeper. It's hard to tell in a split second but I thought the QP 'keeper did well to stay standing at the penalty for as long as he did. Given that he's missed three this season, I think it's fair if someone else fancies a shot.

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

Shout out to Sparky Docherty at left back, by the way. After looking genuinely awful (and I mean, absolutely finished) in pre-season, he has played relatively well the last few weeks. Other than one poor moment in the second half, I felt he was very solid today.

Aye spot on 

13 minutes ago, Angus of the Mo said:

No, yer nae. The League One of Scottish football is probably the most unpredictable on the planet.

But your result today was highly unpredictable, don’t think anyone would have got this right on the predictions!

Today's result was incredibly predictable to anyone who's been watching Queen's Park this season, and that's the problem.

No matter how heroic he's been for us that's an awful penalty from Goodwillie (that kick off aswell :lol:). Gomis should've buried his chance too. Having said that we rode our luck on more than one occasion so a draw looked fair on the highlights. 

Had to laugh at Rumsby slipping on his arse in the first half then cannoning a clearance straight at Gomis in the 2nd. Seemed he was trying his very best to give the points away. 

Edited by C. Muir

Alf Stamp’s Army is correct; aside of the curious case of Mr Fox yesterday’s team had all the changes posters on PnB had called for, and it was still a draw. I tried my best yesterday not to get emotive, try to see what’s really happening. It’s only been two weeks since we gave Cove a right good crack up at their place so how can it be so bad? Actually, it’s not that bad. We still control games and we still create chances. It’s still the scoring bit that lets us down. With the exception of Louis Longridge, too often our players think safe, turn away from the goal and make a pass. By contrast, guys like Goodwillie and McAllister head for goal and expect the rest to catch up. We don’t have that animal.

As for Laurie Ellis, he’s had 3 months in the job. Alex Ferguson took 3 years to establish himself at Man Utd. Just a few weeks ago the debate was about getting the midfield to click. Now it’s all a disaster. Bear in mind that when members voted to change to professionalism the fear was all about sliding into the Lowland league. Brechin are already there. Cowdenbeath look dead certs to be next. Both clubs who recently scraped their way to the Championship and subsequently tumbled to the very bottom of L2. Those who are directing the club have said it’s a ten year plan. Factor in that most of our current squad will be out of contract next summer and, for a committee who used to decide on whether or not to change the strip or hang on for another year, it’s a huge leap trying to work out if we’re better off in L1 for a while, or not. Make no mistake, Ellis and his squad are being engineered to suit the business plan.

Ellis will make mistakes. Just like Ferguson did. He’s not a fraud (to the writer of that I’d recommend deleting that post) just an ambitious guy who was asked to do a job. A marriage of convenience no doubt but if anyone’s motives are to be questioned, the directors who appointed him should be first in line. They have form with this kind of behaviour. The CEO wasn’t employed then. Besides she clearly knows nothing about the game, just an administrator and puppet.

Aside of a deadly striker maybe Ellis could take some of Fergie’s “style” and throw the occasional teacup. Watching objectively yesterday, nobody in that team is a leader. Their privileged lifestyle, cosseted in the safety of Pollok Estate is showing on the pitch. I’m tiring of the passive tolerance of failure. Conditioned minds to say the right things. I’d love to see at least one of them spitting feathers and slamming a door.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

A 33% win rate for a Head Coach furnished with full-time footballers, a good training facility, all the sports scientists and nutritionists etc. that very few teams at this level have, is simply not good enough.

One of two things needs to happen. Either get someone experienced in above him or part ways. Next Saturday is huge for him and us. Beyond that, is anyone looking at Killie and Falkirk at home and Airdrie and Montrose away with any confidence? Something has to change or we’re slipping out of the playoff places. If I’m putting money into this, I’m asking what’s going on. 

32 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Alf Stamp’s Army is correct; aside of the curious case of Mr Fox yesterday’s team had all the changes posters on PnB had called for, and it was still a draw. I tried my best yesterday not to get emotive, try to see what’s really happening. It’s only been two weeks since we gave Cove a right good crack up at their place so how can it be so bad? Actually, it’s not that bad. We still control games and we still create chances. It’s still the scoring bit that lets us down. With the exception of Louis Longridge, too often our players think safe, turn away from the goal and make a pass. By contrast, guys like Goodwillie and McAllister head for goal and expect the rest to catch up. We don’t have that animal.

I’d say it’s even more worrying that Ellis couldn’t get a tune out of our supposed best eleven against a team that quite frankly, we should be beating every game. Looking at the stats yesterday we had 2 shots on target, which was the same as Clyde. Yes, we hit the bar twice from set pieces but the worrying aspect is that we’re not creating anywhere near enough as we should be from open play. Week by week the confidence is draining from certain players and in comparison to August, the flair and and confidence to run at defences has evaporated (minus Longridge)

Im willing to accept Ellis making mistakes, but he seems like he doesn’t learn to resolve them and continues to play the same way for every opposition. I’m all about playing neat and tidy football but first and foremost get the 3 points, whether that’s in ugly fashion or not. As much I’m glad we didn’t have him for this season, I’d argue McKinnon would of got more wins with this team at this stage of the season 

Edited by qpfc

In fairness to Laurie Ellis, he inherited a squad of players that Ray McKinnon clearly felt was not capable of winning the First Division. He has also been handicapped by the long-term absence of key players. Being full-time is of no real significance unless the strength of the playing staff is on a par with that of leading opponents. There are lots of good part-time players who would not turn full-time because it would lead to a loss of earnings and job security. I doubt if there will be any money available to improve the squad in January. We may well just have to soldier on and try to find a real attacking threat from somewhere within the current setup.

1 minute ago, I Zingari said:

In fairness to Laurie Ellis, he inherited a squad of players that Ray McKinnon clearly felt was not capable of winning the First Division. He has also been handicapped by the long-term absence of key players. Being full-time is of no real significance unless the strength of the playing staff is on a par with that of leading opponents. There are lots of good part-time players who would not turn full-time because it would lead to a loss of earnings and job security. I doubt if there will be any money available to improve the squad in January. We may well just have to soldier on and try to find a real attacking threat from somewhere within the current setup.

Valid points, but a 33% win record with the players we do have is not good enough. I don’t think any bystander is looking at our squad and thinking it shouldn’t be top four. After August, our form has not been top four. The other big spenders falling over their own feet has possibly masked some of our weaknesses. 

Looking at the stats yesterday we had 2 shots on target, which was the same as Clyde. Yes, we hit the bar twice from set pieces but the worrying aspect is that we’re not creating anywhere near enough as we should be from open play. 

Stats as we know can mask a lot of things 1 loss in 14 league games being a good example! Highlights make it look a better performance than it felt at the game but we still created more than enough chances to win
Fair play to Clyde defence vital blocks and 3 decent Parry saves from Longstaff Brown and Longridge.
And a shoutout for much maligned Kilday's clearance to deny Goodwillie with the last kick of the ball [emoji122]

27 minutes ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

And a shoutout for much maligned Kilday's clearance to deny Goodwillie with the last kick of the ball emoji122.png

I have been firmly in agreement with most on here that Fox should be playing over Kilday. However, his last ditch clearance saved us from what looked like a certain Goodwillie sucker punch winner with the last kick if the ball.

Fair play to him for that.

Though I'd still rather see Fox partner Morrison (who I thought mostly did very well handling Goodwilie yesterday)

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

I’d say it’s even more worrying that Ellis couldn’t get a tune out of our supposed best eleven against a team that quite frankly, we should be beating every game. Looking at the stats yesterday we had 2 shots on target, which was the same as Clyde. Yes, we hit the bar twice from set pieces but the worrying aspect is that we’re not creating anywhere near enough as we should be from open play. Week by week the confidence is draining from certain players and in comparison to August, the flair and and confidence to run at defences has evaporated (minus Longridge)

Im willing to accept Ellis making mistakes, but he seems like he doesn’t learn to resolve them and continues to play the same way for every opposition. I’m all about playing neat and tidy football but first and foremost get the 3 points, whether that’s in ugly fashion or not. As much I’m glad we didn’t have him for this season, I’d argue McKinnon would of got more wins with this team at this stage of the season 

The very public announcement from Dempster re McKinnon’s departure sent a clear message. Ellis is someone she can work with for a medium haul to support her Development plans. Ray wanted to buy a team to win the league. So there’s no mystery about it. I don’t like the trend anymore than you but with just a third of the season gone, sitting in third spot and just three points behind the leaders nobody at the Head Shed will be sweating at the moment. And I’m just as sure that if we had a goal machine to finish some of those chances, spirits would lift, player confidence would return, and most importantly opponents wouldn’t come to Firhill thinking that it would be enough to bully us into a draw. We had 12 shots yesterday.