Jump to content

WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!


nate

Recommended Posts

Anyone know a good site or accommodations for bookings with free cancellations? Most places seem to be wanting full payment about a week before the booking which is obviously an issue.
Booking.com majority of properties have free cancellation options up the day or few days before. Takes 2 seconds to cancel if need be
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Decent draw and could certainly have been worse.

Wales, Ukraine and Austria will be thinking exactly the same of course.

It is a belter of a draw and I would love it to come down to a Wales v Scotland final.

We haven’t had a great record against them over the past 20 years. So putting it right in Cardiff would be epic.

Eliminating Wales on the way to a World Cup was almost a tradition. One that I hope makes a welcome return.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

It is a belter of a draw and I would love it to come down to a Wales v Scotland final.

We haven’t had a great record against them over the past 20 years. So putting it right in Cardiff would be epic.

Eliminating Wales on the way to a World Cup was almost a tradition. One that I hope makes a welcome return.

Yes I think all of that is very fair comment. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scotland, Ukraine, Austria and Wales are all pretty equal teams imo. 
 

None of the four area easy to beat but you can’t exactly expect to be in the World Cup without beating teams of this calibre. I genuinely think Wales are the slight favourites as they’ll have home advantage throughout. But it’s Wales 35%, Scotland 30%, Austria 20%, Ukraine 15% 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lurkst said:

Oddschecker has Austria and Wales as joint favourites...

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup-european-qualifiers/path-a/winner

 

And Scotland/Ukraine as joint third favourites at 10/3.

 

Basically they’re saying both semi-finals are 50-50, but whoever hosts the final has a 55% chance of winning it.

 

Surprising to me that they seem to think HFA is significant for the final but not the SFs 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

And Scotland/Ukraine as joint third favourites at 10/3.

Basically they’re saying both semi-finals are 50-50, but whoever hosts the final has a 55% chance of winning it.

Surprising to me that they seem to think HFA is significant for the final but not the SFs 

...or they're saying that Ukraine/Austria are better than Scotland/Wales, but home advantage will be a leveller.

Little bit surprised by that, but meh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any of the three sides are good enough to bum most Scotland sides trotted out over the last twenty years senseless.

However this current side has been well moulded over the last couple of years and perhaps came of age fully against Denmark earlier this month. That side, Steve Clark's side WILL sweep these fodder aside if they can reach the same levels again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Scumjob said:

Any of the three sides are good enough to bum most Scotland sides trotted out over the last twenty years senseless.

However this current side has been well moulded over the last couple of years and perhaps came of age fully against Denmark earlier this month. That side, Steve Clark's side WILL sweep these fodder aside if they can reach the same levels again.

Looking at Wales, Austria and Ukraine, none of them are in their golden generation. Scotland, arguably, are.

Scotland are on the ascendancy. We have some top class individuals, but also a close-knit team on form. On paper, we are the best out of the 4.

I think they'd all be happy they've swerved the big guns. But if they underestimate us, we'll destroy them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

Looking at Wales, Austria and Ukraine, none of them are in their golden generation. Scotland, arguably, are.

Scotland are on the ascendancy. We have some top class individuals, but also a close-knit team on form. On paper, we are the best out of the 4.

I think they'd all be happy they've swerved the big guns. But if they underestimate us, we'll destroy them.

Like this ..Agreed,.. Although the group games we played were sometimes a hard watch , we got points when needed and slowly improved .. i doubt any of the 3 other teams could play the way we did against Denmark .. If we can even come close to that , we can do this.. never over confident , but its a team/ squad of players who i really believe want to win this..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Already been asked most likely, but if Wales get beat by Austria then is it still away in Austria, or would we then be at home? 

We're away in the final regardless.

Not necessarily a bad thing, if you cast your mind back to our games against Austria.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like this ..Agreed,.. Although the group games we played were sometimes a hard watch , we got points when needed and slowly improved .. i doubt any of the 3 other teams could play the way we did against Denmark .. If we can even come close to that , we can do this.. never over confident , but its a team/ squad of players who i really believe want to win this..

Wales could definitely have done that to Denmark too.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, qos_75 said:

It is a belter of a draw and I would love it to come down to a Wales v Scotland final.

We haven’t had a great record against them over the past 20 years. So putting it right in Cardiff would be epic.

Eliminating Wales on the way to a World Cup was almost a tradition. One that I hope makes a welcome return.

 

Love your thinking.

We're getting better and can match any of the teams in the draw.

Making it to a Wales v Scotland play-off will bring back huge memories - some great, some bad (very bad).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...