WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

For folk wondering when the "baws are in the air" so to speak, I'd be astonished if it's anything near 4pm. UEFA draws are filled with ex-pros in suits talking about their careers for a while, probably talking about the World Cup for a bit, the "Qualification Journey So Far" etc. Probably half 4 quarter to 5 before anything meaningful happens. 

14 hours ago, Donathan said:

Semi final draws ranked from best to worst:

North Macedonia (Dream)

Austria

Turkey

Ukraine (I think they’re worse than Turkey, but the extra implication that getting them means Italy/Portugal more likely)

Czech Republic 

Poland (Nightmare) 

I think they are drawing the seeded teams first so we'll already know if we're in Italy's section or not before they get anywhere near filling Ukraine in.

51 minutes ago, nate said:

Cheers. Mind you, my fave “prohibited” match up is Spain v Gibraltar. How silly is that?

Imagine if World War 3 kicked off over Spain getting beat by Gibraltar.

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think they are drawing the seeded teams first so we'll already know if we're in Italy's section or not before they get anywhere near filling Ukraine in.

They are.

Seeded teams will be draw 1-6 first, with 1 & 2 being the same pathway, 3/4,  and 5/6. So we already know our potential seeded opponent in the final should we get there before our semi final is drawn. 

46 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

They are.

Seeded teams will be draw 1-6 first, with 1 & 2 being the same pathway, 3/4,  and 5/6. So we already know our potential seeded opponent in the final should we get there before our semi final is drawn. 

So this means that Italy/Portugal/Russia/Wales/Sweden are all 20% chance each, and then if we get Russia then it's a 20% chance each of Austria/NM/Turkey/Czech/Poland whereas if we avoid Russia theres a 25% chance of drawing Ukraine and a 15% chance each of drawing the other 5.

At least there's no prospect that we draw Ukraine straight away and then end up with Italy/Portugal as a consequence of Russia being blocked out of our pathway.

2 hours ago, nate said:

Haven’t checked all the previous posts here, but does anyone know if FIFA still deem Russia (seeded) v Ukraine (unseeded) a “prohibited” fixture? The pair have deliberately been kept apart over the past few years. If this is still the case then today’s draw will not be as fair and transparent as we are led to believe. 

It may not be fair, but it is very transparent given that they've been saying this will happen all along. It's not hidden away.

Is it 5% away allocation? Czechs looking like less than 1k if so.
Yeah 5% minimum. No idea if teams will be generous (England got more than 3,000 in Prague and Ireland got around the same in Wales a few years ago) but the importance of the games might mean teams prioritise their own fans. I think, but could be wrong, that the allocation includes comps too.
Would we only receive the minimum allocation of away tickets in this instance? 
See above. Czech Republic and Wales will probably fill their stadiums so have no obligation to give us more. I'd guess Czech Republic will give a bit more than 900-odd though.

On a similar theme, I wonder which of the unseeded teams will sell out their away end, meaning fewer Scotland fans at Hampden. Poland obviously will but not sure what the others will bring for a game like this.
Can't see Ukraine, North Macedonia getting near it. Austria, Czechs & Turkey maybe. Polish definitely

19 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Yeah 5% minimum. No idea if teams will be generous (England got more than 3,000 in Prague and Ireland got around the same in Wales a few years ago) but the importance of the games might mean teams prioritise their own fans. I think, but could be wrong, that the allocation includes comps too. See above. Czech Republic and Wales will probably fill their stadiums so have no obligation to give us more. I'd guess Czech Republic will give a bit more than 900-odd though.

I think teams only go over when it's mutually beneficial to do so and they can reciprocate (eg ourselves and England in the qualifiers a few years ago). Can't see any team giving anything additional for a game of this magnitude when home advantage could be key.

I'd have thought every team outside of North Macedonia would sell their allocation for Hampden given it'd only be about 2,500.

The draw for the European play-offs for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™, which will begin today at 17:00 CET, will be broadcast live on FIFA TV. It will be followed by the draw for the intercontinental play-offs

👍

The 12 coaches will watch the draw via Zoom and give their reaction to Samantha and Adriano thereafter.

👍

A personality like Cristiano Ronaldo just has to be part of the FIFA World Cup. The same applies to Italy. I had a fantastic time at Inter, hence a part of my heart beats for the Azzurri.

Lothar Matthaus

🙄

https://www.fifa.com/news/karembeu-matthaus-mendes-zabaleta-discuss-european-and-intercontinental-play-off-draws

Just did a mock draw as I’m bored working from home. Bolded are the teams who could be at home in the final

Path A

Sweden v Turkey

Russia v Poland

Path B

Italy v Ukraine

Wales v North Macedonia

Path C

Portugal v Austria

Scotland v Czech Republic

On a positive note we’d avoid Italy and play at Hampden throughout but feck me that would be a tall order. 

Just did a mock draw as I’m bored working from home. Bolded are the teams who could be at home in the final

Path A
Sweden v Turkey
Russia v Poland

Path B
Italy v Ukraine
Wales v North Macedonia

Path C
Portugal v Austria

On a positive note we’d avoid Italy and play at Hampden throughout but feck me that would be a tall order. 
In this scenario we're team 6, therefore away in the potential final.

11 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:
15 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Path A
Sweden v Turkey
Russia v Poland

Path B
Italy v Ukraine
Wales v North Macedonia

Path C
Portugal v Austria

In this scenario we're team 6, therefore away in the potential final.

Wrong. There’s a separate draw to decide whether the winner of SF 5 or the winner of SF 6 is at home in the final, likewise for 1/2 and 3/4. In my mock draw, games 1, 3 and 6 were drawn to host the finals. 

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Wrong. There’s a separate draw to decide whether the winner of SF 5 or the winner of SF 6 is at home in the final, likewise for 1/2 and 3/4. In my mock draw, games 1, 3 and 6 were drawn to host the finals. 

Ah! I was not aware. I thought I'd read that 1 3 and 5 were at home automatically so the "home" aspect of the final was known by that point. Fair play.