WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

Does anyone know what the deal with tickets for the playoffs will be? Considering joining the supporters club to guarantee a ticket but the issue there is that I could only get one for myself unless my friends/family all joined also. How soon after the draw will they go on sale to supporters club members and how long after that before general sale? Cheers for any help, I’ve found very little searching myself. 

Does anyone know what the deal with tickets for the playoffs will be? Considering joining the supporters club to guarantee a ticket but the issue there is that I could only get one for myself unless my friends/family all joined also. How soon after the draw will they go on sale to supporters club members and how long after that before general sale? Cheers for any help, I’ve found very little searching myself. 

Short answer is that it’s still to be confirmed. Should know quite soon after the draw.

With 25-30k members, there won’t be a hell of a lot left after the initial sale and folk will be on there the minute they go live so it’ll probably be tricky to get a big group together.

I'd be amazed if they opened up the SSC between now and the start of any new campaign.  Nothing confirmed yet, b ut will be interesting to see if they keep up the offer of every SSC member being allowed to buy one extra ticket.  If so, public sale tickets are going to be like gold dust.  

EDIT: Clearly I talk a power of pish.  SSC memberships are available right now

Edited by forameus

2 hours ago, forameus said:

I'd be amazed if they opened up the SSC between now and the start of any new campaign.  Nothing confirmed yet, b ut will be interesting to see if they keep up the offer of every SSC member being allowed to buy one extra ticket.  If so, public sale tickets are going to be like gold dust.  

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

They were still advertising it during the Denmark game.

I bought my son a membership right after the Denmark game as he wants to go to the playoff game. I've had a membership for 30 years but I never bothered to put him on before, partly because for the last decade or so I've generally just got tickets through my club rather than via a personal order when I needed them, but mainly because with Primary School aged kids, it's not really been practical to take him to games when they are usually 8pm on school nights in Glasgow.

It seems to have gone through ok and they've taken the payment, though we've not actually received anything for him yet. It's probably far too soon to have done so though I guess.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

I bought my son a membership right after the Denmark game as he wants to go to the playoff game. I've had a membership for 30 years but I never bothered to put him on before, partly because for the last decade or so I've generally just got tickets through my club rather than via a personal order when I needed them, but mainly because with Primary School aged kids, it's not really been practical to take him to games when they are usually 8pm on school nights in Glasgow.

It seems to have gone through ok and they've taken the payment, though we've not actually received anything for him yet. It's probably far too soon to have done so though I guess.

That's interesting, take what I said back then.  Didn't they usually only open it in set periods?  Maybe I'm making that up.

Guess it'd be in their interest to open it up - a public sale gets you the price of a ticket, an SSC membership gets you a nice wee sum above the ticket price.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

That's interesting, take what I said back then.  Didn't they usually only open it in set periods?  Maybe I'm making that up.

Guess it'd be in their interest to open it up - a public sale gets you the price of a ticket, an SSC membership gets you a nice wee sum above the ticket price.

Don't think they were ever only open in set periods (though there was a point about the time we were in the group with Italy, France and Ukraine when they closed the memberships and stopped selling them). They only applied to set 2 year periods so if you chose to buy one later it was a costly exercise as you were maybe paying £50 for a membership that got you 2 or 3 tickets but it was still available.

So who are we hoping to draw with for the play-offs then? 

Pessimistic, I know, but I can't help but think that we desperately need two home ties at least to have a very good chance of making it. 
Personally I'd take N. Macedonia (I know they're no mugs!) and a potential home tie against anyone except Italy. 

Of course we'll probably end up with Poland, then Italy/Portugal away from home in a potential final. 

So who are we hoping to draw with for the play-offs then? 
Pessimistic, I know, but I can't help but think that we desperately need two home ties at least to have a very good chance of making it. 
Personally I'd take N. Macedonia (I know they're no mugs!) and a potential home tie against anyone except Italy. 
Of course we'll probably end up with Poland, then Italy/Portugal away from home in a potential final. 
Wales as the other seeded team in our group of teams.

Semi final draws ranked from best to worst:

North Macedonia (Dream)

Austria

Turkey

Ukraine (I think they’re worse than Turkey, but the extra implication that getting them means Italy/Portugal more likely)

Czech Republic 

Poland (Nightmare) 

Final opponents ranked best to worst: 

Wales home

Sweden home

Russia home

Wales away

Sweden away = Portugal home

Russia away

Italy home

Italy away 

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Semi final draws ranked from best to worst:

North Macedonia (Dream)

Austria

Turkey

Ukraine (I think they’re worse than Turkey, but the extra implication that getting them means Italy/Portugal more likely)

Czech Republic 

Poland (Nightmare) 

Final opponents ranked best to worst: 

Wales home

Sweden home

Russia home

Wales away

Sweden away = Portugal home

Russia away

Italy home

Italy away 

I'd prefer Italy at home, to most of the potential finals away from home.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If the draw lands us with a potential final away to Italy or Portugal, it'll feel pretty deflating, as I'd struggle to see us negotiating a path to the World Cup finals.  

Any home draw for a hypothetical final would be exciting though.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Four years ago, a mediocre (by their standards) Sweden managed to eliminate Italy over two legs, so I think we've got a fighting chance of (at least) holding them to penalties for one match at their gaff. They're as mercurial as us, thinking about it; winning the European Championships while also huffing to draws against Macedonia and Northern Ireland, in matches they really needed to win.

All about the performance on the night. We're fully capable of struggling against any of these sides, but similarly difficult for them if Steve Clarke gets the tactics right and the players are on form. Really looking forward to seeing what they can do.

It's worth remembering that the seeded teams aren't guaranteed to win - some of the unseeded teams are better on paper than some of the seeded teams (including us). Therefore it is still possible we could avoid having to play any of the seeded teams if the draw goes that way.