WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

21 hours ago, ICTChris said:

They do play each other - they played last month.  I think they periodically don't tour each others countries when they are at war or on the verge of war.

They refuse to play each other at test cricket, which was the point I was making. (Or, to be more accurate, India refuse to play Pakistan). The World Test Championship has been arranged so that each of the ten entrants only plays six of the other nine teams, deliberately so that they don't have to meet. Their last test series finished in 2007.

Edited by Small Bovine Maisonette

It's frankly shameful that I can't even be arsed to find out what "test cricket" is in comparison to non-test cricket.

Mildly curious about why India would refuse to cricket with Pakistan in some ways but not others, however.

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

It's frankly shameful that I can't even be arsed to find out what "test cricket" is in comparison to non-test cricket.

Mildly curious about why India would refuse to cricket with Pakistan in some ways but not others, however.

Test cricket is when countries meet in 5 day matches, usually across a tour of between 3 and 6 matches in the same host country.

Other forms of cricket are limited overs, one day matches, usually either 50 over games or the current sprint fad format of 20/20.

I'm no cricketing expert but I think the point is neither India nor Pakistan would entertain the notion of a 'tour' of the other incorporating a number of 5 day matches but will, when absolutely forced to, play each other in one day world cup tournaments, even on occasion in the other one's country.

54 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Test cricket is when countries meet in 5 day matches, usually across a tour of between 3 and 6 matches in the same host country.

Other forms of cricket are limited overs, one day matches, usually either 50 over games or the current sprint fad format of 20/20.

I'm no cricketing expert but I think the point is neither India nor Pakistan would entertain the notion of a 'tour' of the other incorporating a number of 5 day matches but will, when absolutely forced to, play each other in one day world cup tournaments, even on occasion in the other one's country.

Interesting, ta.

It doesn't seem to extend to football, although they haven't played each other in three or four years. When looking that up, I did however notice that Pakistan are apparently the only nation in the Asian Football Confederation who have never won a World Cup qualifying match - they only started taking part in 1989, but have played 32 games without a victory. I know they're not a football nation, but you'd think a country of 200-odd million could dig out a win against somebody else in Asia by now.

Sorry to drag this out, but their World Cup qualifying campaign consisted of a single double-header against Cambodia in 2019, which they lost 4-1 on aggregate. It was also their qualifier for the Asian Cup, which means that they won't play another competitive game until 2023. I know our qualifying process isn't perfect, but imagine if Andorra or San Marino took a battering off the Faeroes and then got asked to sit on their hands for four years. Bit shit.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

If you’re telling Israel to f**k off you’d probably have to tell Armenia and Cyprus to f**k off as well.

You’d start with Kazakhstan which borders China, followed by Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia all of which border or closely border Iran and Iraq.

It would be useful to have a 56th country in UEFA for group sizes, so we should really just add Qatar or Syria. It’s not like human rights or geography matter anyway.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Georgia all have territory in Europe, regardless of who they border at the other end. Russia also borders China (and North Korea and Mongolia) but is clearly part of Europe.

Cyprus is a member of the EU and it is fairly straightforward to see why it would be considered part of Europe given its location.

Armenia, fair enough, I don't think it has any real claim to being European and should therefore join Israel in Asia.

Edited by craigkillie

Of course we all want to draw Scotland in the draw. They would obviously be easier than Portugal or Italy and we played Scotland at the Euros in front of their own fans and beat them easily. We want a lighter opponent. Of course, it's a World Cup and anything can happen, but if I could pick, I would choose to play Scotland.

Jakub Brabec, Czech Republic defender.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8030318/czech-republic-scotland-world-cup-playoff-draw/

I keep reading in this country that it would be best for us if we are to be drawn against Scotland. - I do not know why everyone underestimates Scotland. They are an extremely good team.

Blagoja Milevski, North Macedonia manager 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wanting-face-scotland-crazy-talk-25509315

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

People will get all worked up about that quote but it really shouldn’t be a surprise. Every one of the seeded teams has a far better recent tournament record than us.

At the same time though, it would be lovely to get it right up him if we drew them! 

There wasn’t that much motivation, though that’s a bad excuse. But they had more to play for than we did, and you could see that. That should not have been the case. Before the match we said that we should show who we are. But we did not get that done today, so it’s a match to forget.

Andreas Christensen

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/match/2031000--scotland-vs-denmark/

We came in with the motivation to win, but they had more to play for than us. But that should be no excuse. We had many new players with us. There was one who had not trained at all yet and one who had only trained once.

Daniel Wass

https://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/superliga/wass-taenker-paa-vm-frem-aergerlig-afslutning

Edited by 2426255

16 hours ago, Ken Deans said:

Aye every unseeded side will want to draw us. At the same time we won't be scared of any of them

If you were an unseeded side you would rather play Scotland or Wales compared to Italy and Portugal.  Scotland would be praying for Wales if they were unseeded. 

I saw Portugal in Dublin and they weren't arsed thinking they could beat Serbia in Lisbon.  The best thing for Portugal would be to have Ronaldo injured as their squad is all about him at the moment and is holding back the rest of them.  

3 hours ago, denltfc said:

If you were an unseeded side you would rather play Scotland or Wales compared to Italy and Portugal.  Scotland would be praying for Wales if they were unseeded. 

I saw Portugal in Dublin and they weren't arsed thinking they could beat Serbia in Lisbon.  The best thing for Portugal would be to have Ronaldo injured as their squad is all about him at the moment and is holding back the rest of them.  

As has already been pointed out more than once, it didn't matter whether they were "arsed" or thought they could beat Serbia or not. They needed a point in Dublin. Three points would have made not one single iota of difference to them. They'd still have finished 2nd by losing to Serbia and they had done enough to be seeded if 2nd already.

You're probably right about Ronaldo though, and I'm still hoping we're in the same group of 4 as Wales.

On 19/11/2021 at 09:09, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

Given that Azerbaijan is east of Armenia, how can it be partly in Europe when Armenia isn't?

I believe this particular part of the Eurasian border is a North-South border rather than an East-West one. Turkey also lies entirely East of Armenia/Azerbaijan despite the vast majority of it's territory being in Asia. Georgia, which is North of Armenia and Azerbaijan, is only partly in Europe.

This isn't entirely accurate but just a rough example of how I think the Europe-Asian border works

As you can see in my diagram:

- Turkey is mainly in Asia, with just the North-West of the country being in Europe and Istanbul being the only city in the world to span two continents

- Georgia and Azerbaijan are mainly Asian countries, but the North of both countries are in Europe.

- Their neighbour Armenia lies entirely in Asia, with 100% of it's territory lying South of the border.

- Kazakhstan is a mainly Asian country, but the West of the country is in Europe.

- Out of shot, but the border extends Northbound through Russia. So the Europe-Asia border in Russia is a vertical East-West border.

- Out of shot but Cyprus and Israel are UEFA members who lie entirely in Asia.

image.thumb.png.7260b3d01ec47ce9fc1611cff81c746f.png