WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

According to this, the countries who are kept apart are Kosovo-Russia, Kosova-Serbia, Armenia-Azerbijan and Spain-Gibraltar.

https://www.trtworld.com/sport/kosovo-russia-teams-to-be-kept-apart-in-uefa-competitions-30672

I'm pretty sure Ukraine and Russia have been kept apart as well, that report says the clubs have.

Edited by ICTChris

1 hour ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

I agree with the principal, and I think Spain are massive fannies for refusing to play Gibraltar and India should be forced to play Pakistan in test matches or be banned from international cricket.

I'd no idea that India and Pakistan refused to play each other at cricket. Aren't they two of the best teams in the world? Thankfully there's no danger of Russia & Ukraine actually being any good; imagine if Brazil & Argentina had nukes and decided they'd dingy the World Cup Final if they both made it that far.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'd no idea that India and Pakistan refused to play each other at cricket. Aren't they two of the best teams in the world? Thankfully there's no danger of Russia & Ukraine actually being any good; imagine if Brazil & Argentina had nukes and decided they'd dingy the World Cup Final if they both made it that far.

They do play each other - they played last month.  I think they periodically don't tour each others countries when they are at war or on the verge of war.

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

India and Pakistan do play each other in cricket, it's always far from either country though. I've even been to one of these games years ago, played in England. Let's say that for me as a neutral the atmosphere was "interesting" to experience.

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

India and Pakistan played each other a few weeks ago with Pakistan winning during the T20 world cup

16 minutes ago, Marten said:

India and Pakistan do play each other in cricket, it's always far from either country though. I've even been to one of these games years ago, played in England. Let's say that for me as a neutral the atmosphere was "interesting" to experience.

They met in India in the last 8 of the 1996 World Cup and again in India in the semi finals of the 2011 World Cup. India won both games.

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

Out of interest what would happen if Israel actually qualified? It would be difficult enough for FIFA if they qualified for a tournament that had the likes of Iran and Saudi Arabia in it for starters, but even more so if they’d qualified for the forthcoming World Cup given that it is being held in the Middle East.

My guess is that in normal circumstances they’d bury their head in the sand and keep them apart in the groups and cross their fingers that they don’t meet in the knockouts, but if it was Qatar then there would be a genuine risk that the players would be prevented from entering the country or at risk of serious harm whilst there. We can’t understate how much Jews are hated in that part of the world unfortunately.

And now you know why VAR was so kind to us when the alternative may have been Israel making the World Cup. 😉

I’m not sure if the amnesty would only wipe yellow cards from the players who are on one yellow coming into the playoffs or if they’d go the full hog and cancel suspensions for those who picked up their second booking in the final group game.

We have none in the latter group and a bunch in the former so selfishly I hope they only do an amnesty rather than overturning bans in the hope that it knocks out a key player for our semi final opponent. 

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Pretty much every country is in the same position as us or worse, so it surely makes sense.

Aye, every team has a minimum of 7 players on a yellow.   Some are into double figures.  We're actually no badly off, cause quite a few have suspensions as well.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I’m not sure if the amnesty would only wipe yellow cards from the players who are on one yellow coming into the playoffs or if they’d go the full hog and cancel suspensions for those who picked up their second booking in the final group game.

We have none in the latter group and a bunch in the former so selfishly I hope they only do an amnesty rather than overturning bans in the hope that it knocks out a key player for our semi final opponent. 

As far as I understand, this won't change any suspensions that have already been picked up due to getting a second booking, they are all carried forward. Which makes sense, because even players from nations that qualified for the world cup will still have to serve their bans if they have any when the world cup starts.

50 minutes ago, Marten said:

As far as I understand, this won't change any suspensions that have already been picked up due to getting a second booking, they are all carried forward. Which makes sense, because even players from nations that qualified for the world cup will still have to serve their bans if they have any when the world cup starts.

Bans don't carry into the finals

Will we probably get knocked out and wallow in glorified failure: Yes.
Do we have a chance of making it: Also yes.
I get we are getting carried away after beating a half/not arsed Denmark side.
Reminds me of us thinking we’d beat Croatia after we got that heroic draw against England.
Then we got a swift footballing lesson in our own back yard and deservedly papped out.
Yet it’s not inconceivable that we draw N. Macedonia and Wales, win both and find the Tartan Army joyfully wearing Geordie style headscarves in Qatar (don’t talk about the human rights abuses, unless we lose the playoffs, in which case it’s a disgrace that this World Cup is not being boycotted)
This is undoubtedly our best chance of making it since 1998. What a chance we have, I think we will do it. If we don’t, let’s hope if we do wallow in glorious failure, that the wallowing is actually justified.

Will we probably get knocked out and wallow in glorified failure: Yes.
Do we have a chance of making it: Also yes.
I get we are getting carried away after beating a half/not arsed Denmark side.
Reminds me of us thinking we’d beat Croatia after we got that heroic draw against England.
Then we got a swift footballing lesson in our own back yard and deservedly papped out.
Yet it’s not inconceivable that we draw N. Macedonia and Wales, win both and find the Tartan Army joyfully wearing Geordie style headscarves in Qatar (don’t talk about the human rights abuses, unless we lose the playoffs, in which case it’s a disgrace that this World Cup is not being boycotted)
This is undoubtedly our best chance of making it since 1998. What a chance we have, I think we will do it. If we don’t, let’s hope if we do wallow in glorious failure, that the wallowing is actually justified.

I get what you're saying, but Denmark were very much arsed. This defeat has dented their chances of being top seeds at the world cup (they're currently 10th). I still think it'll be extremely hard for us, but that was a fantastic performance on Monday and as much as you can day Denmark were missing players so were we

I get what you're saying, but Denmark were very much arsed. This defeat has dented their chances of being top seeds at the world cup (they're currently 10th). I still think it'll be extremely hard for us, but that was a fantastic performance on Monday and as much as you can day Denmark were missing players so were we
Totally agree with that. I was watching match with my son and kept saying to him, why are Denmark even bothered?. It was evident that they were there to win.

Isn't it dangerous changing the rules during a campaign?  Imagine if we'd left out players on a card against Denmark, got beat, and then the slate got cleaned anyway.

I would imagine no team was stupid enough to leave out carded players when qualification was on the line, but maybe there's a team that missed out on a seeding.

I guess that's why they are asking the nations opinions.  I wonder if anyone will object and if it has to be unanimous.