WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

42 minutes ago, come on shire said:

I like Hampden for a day/night oot but if Portugal came then you're buying a ticket to sit in Hampden in the middle of winter to at least see Ronaldo who's one of the greatest players in the world.

Speak for yourself, I'm buying a ticket just to catch a glimpse of John McGinn, the greatest player ever to walk this earth. 

1 hour ago, come on shire said:

Who could Scotland draw in this thing next week?

I like Hampden for a day/night oot but if Portugal came then you're buying a ticket to sit in Hampden in the middle of winter to at least see Ronaldo who's one of the greatest players in the world.

I'm not sure watching North Macedonia in -5C is much of a selling point.

We'll see what happens I guess...

1. What Scotland fan gives a f**k about 'watching Ronaldo' when World Cup Qualification is on the line?

2. Not much of a selling point? Again - World Cup Qualification - nobody gives a f**k about the weather!

3. Most of us are hoping to get the shitest opponents possible - they're not the selling point FFS.

Edited by ArabFC

9 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

1. What Scotland fan gives a f**k about 'watching Ronaldo' when World Cup Qualification is on the line?

2. Not much of a selling point? Again - World Cup Qualification - nobody gives a f**k about the weather!

3. Most of us are hoping to get the shitest opponents possible - they're not the selling point FFS.

Ok, maybe you're right.  However, Scotland are an improved side who've shown they can beat anyone at Hampden (Mon night being an example).  It's quite complimentary of our side tbh.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Speak for yourself, I'm buying a ticket just to catch a glimpse of John McGinn, the greatest player ever to walk this earth. 

I think Kenny Dalgleish would give McGinn competition there.  However, I can see where you're coming from.

I think Che Adams deserves credit too though.

26 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Ok, maybe you're right.  However, Scotland are an improved side who've shown they can beat anyone at Hampden (Mon night being an example).  It's quite complimentary of our side tbh.

Scotland could be ranked number 1 in the world and I’d still be wanting us getting as easy a draw as possible.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I think a big part of the reason why Patrik Schick single handedly destroyed us in the euros was that we missed Kieran Tierney’s organisation in the back 3. I’d expect our first choice defence to do a job on him. 

It’s no coincidence that when Tierney was fit four days later (and McTominay moved to his rightful place in the back three), a much better striker in Harry Kane was borderline anonymous. 

The Office No GIF

17 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

The Office No GIF

You’re living in the past if you think McTominay in the back three is a poor idea. He’s behind at least Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn in midfield (possibly Jack as well?) so then it’s a straight decision between him and Hendry/Cooper for the RCB role. I’d much rather have the better ball player in McTominay. 

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

You’re living in the past if you think McTominay in the back three is a poor idea. He’s behind at least Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn in midfield (possibly Jack as well?) so then it’s a straight decision between him and Hendry/Cooper for the RCB role. I’d much rather have the better ball player in McTominay. 

Fucking hell. Time will bear me out on this. McTominay is a liability at the back - that folk ignore it cos he's good 'on the ball' is mental!

Cooper doesn't play the RCB role and you've already forgotten Souttar, who (incidentally) is pretty fecking decent 'on the ball'. 

Edited by ArabFC

If McTominany wasn't at ManU and was at a lower level club or lesser profile nobody would give a shit if he was benched because he lost his midfield place. There certainly wouldn't be this call or desire to shoehorn him into the team at the RCB just to say he is there. Fact is he doesn't play that position at any time other than for Scotland and has been the weak point in several games when we have conceded.

These are the 2 most important games in almost 25 years, SSC has to get this right which means making tough, strong and unpopular decisons - one of which is playing to the strengths of the team and not just keeping guys happy. Its great McT has the versatility to play in several positions but right now IMO he is not top candidate for any of them.

I agree with a lot of the overall sentiment but the first part is basically "if McTominay was a much worse player than he actually is, we wouldn't be as bothered about dropping him".

For me there is no place for him in midfield, he's never been a good match to the two deeper roles and while I think he'd be good higher up (especially if we had a front two), he's clearly not as good as McGinn at that. The only debate is about centre-back, and it basically comes down to whether he's better than Hendry or Souttar in that role. I don't think there's a lot in it really, he has had some tremendous performances at the back for us, most notably in the England game, but also made a few positional errors. That right hand side of our defence is always going to be our weaker side given who is on the other side, and I thought the few vulnerable moments we had on Monday also came down there.

The biggest reason we previously had McTominay out there was his ability to bring the ball out, something he is still miles better at than the others but it's probably now the case that this is less necessary with Gilmour in the team. His other huge benefit is his attitude, he is yet another born winner alongside the likes of Tierney, Robertson and McGinn. He was the biggest driving force in that Faroes game when it looked like we were going to f**k it. None of that makes him undroppable, and as it stands now I'd probably have him as the 12th man for the play-offs. Lots of things can happen between now and then though.

Just had a chat with my older laddie about the forthcoming WC qualifying draw, and the need to prevent Russia and Ukraine meeting.  I think that's not acceptable.  If for any reason a team or teams will not or cannot reasonably play a particular country or each other in a competition, they shouldn't be in the competition. 

There's a fairly basic reason for this. Apart from the obvious fact that identifying 'weaker' international sides is problematic, for example Scotland have a poorer chance of drawing an "easier" semi-final opponent than Russia.  If the team that is considered to be by far the weakest in pot 2 is North Macedonia, we have a one in six chance of drawing them.  Russia's (being 'unable' to play Ukraine) chances of drawing them is one in 5.  Our prospects of advancing to a final, by means of an 'easier' tie - are less than Russia's as they have a better chance of drawing the weakest pot 2 side - for reasons that are nothing to do with sport. 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

Just had a chat with my older laddie about the forthcoming WC qualifying draw, and the need to prevent Russia and Ukraine meeting.  I think that's not acceptable.  If for any reason a team or teams will not or cannot reasonably play a particular country or each other in a competition, they shouldn't be in the competition. 
There's a fairly basic reason for this. Apart from the obvious fact that identifying 'weaker' international sides is problematic, for example Scotland have a poorer chance of drawing an "easier" semi-final opponent than Russia.  If the team that is considered to be by far the weakest in pot 2 is North Macedonia, we have a one in six chance of drawing them.  Russia's (being 'unable' to play Ukraine) chances of drawing them is one in 5.  Our prospects of advancing to a final, by means of an 'easier' tie - are less than Russia's as they have a better chance of drawing the weakest pot 2 side - for reasons that are nothing to do with sport. 

We could get round this by declaring war against Italy ahead of the draw next week.

35 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Meh, such are the perils of international sport. It's not like this is a new thing. There were years when some of the former Slavic nations couldn't be drawn together. Are Spain not still prevented from playing Gibraltar?

If Ukraine hadn't beaten Bosnia or Russia had qualified slightly worse then they'd not have been able to meet either.

I'm not too bothered about it. I'm also not convinced that Ukraine AREN'T the weakest Pot 2 side to be honest. They won TWO games in qualifying. I'd be happy to get North Macedonia but they are a better side than given credit for.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Meh, such are the perils of international sport. It's not like this is a new thing. There were years when some of the former Slavic nations couldn't be drawn together. Are Spain not still prevented from playing Gibraltar?

If Ukraine hadn't beaten Bosnia or Russia had qualified slightly worse then they'd not have been able to meet either.

I'm not too bothered about it. I'm also not convinced that Ukraine AREN'T the weakest Pot 2 side to be honest. They won TWO games in qualifying. I'd be happy to get North Macedonia but they are a better side than given credit for.

I know it has "aye been" but I don't see why the other nations should put up with it.  Play the game to the same rules as everyone else or f off out of it.  What happens if they meet in the semi final or final of the world cup?  Award it to both?  Have the final between the two losing semi finalists? 

Nah. Enough. 

I'm inclined to agree with the thing about not keeping nations apart. If it's just unacceptable to your country's leaders to play certain nations, then nobody's forcing you to enter the tournament. If the idea is that it would be too dangerous to put on an incendiary match, play it at a neutral ground at the other end of the continent. If Ukraine and Russia both qualify and meet in the knockout stages, the match will absolutely be played, which is all you need to know.

The obvious exception to that is Israel and the Asian Football Confederation. Nobody needs that shitshow.