WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

56 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I'll happily take Turkey after watching the Netherlands v Norway game.  Both teams were awful and if Turkey are of a slightly worse than the Dutch I'd fancy us to batter them

Being Dutch, I can confirm this. The Netherlands were very lucky with the draw, all teams in the group were really poor. With Scotland's recent form, you should definitely be able to beat Turkey. I'd say they're the weakest unseeded team.

1 minute ago, AlbionSaint said:

A final against the Welsh would be stunning to be honest. 

it would ensure our world cup tv coverage would not be completely England, however not to be a downer, i can see it just being England at the world cup from all the home nation.....red dot away, but i'm a realist.

16 minutes ago, Marten said:

Being Dutch, I can confirm this. The Netherlands were very lucky with the draw, all teams in the group were really poor. With Scotland's recent form, you should definitely be able to beat Turkey. I'd say they're the weakest unseeded team.

Aye, I think we all remember what a huge disappointment Turkey were at the last Euros.

43 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

If Scotland don't qualify, I'll probably boycott it on account of the fact I'd have no real interest in who wins it and because of my ethical concerns about how Qatar have built the infrastructure. If Scotland qualify then I'd obviously be interested and would jettison my morals in exchange for watching us play in our first world cup finals since France '98.

Watching via a dodgy stream for free , while plumbed into yer 50" telly is the best boycott ..Qatar is going to be a rich folk festival of the worst kind ever , wont be any cheap campsites or dossing in folks gardens at this .. Pity , as i think back to 98 and that is most likely the best month i will have had spent in my life .

North Macedonia/Turkey would be the best draws for the semi-final. Poland and the Czechs best avoided but not a catastrophe if we get them. Austria are a known quantity that we’re better than but it feels like a potential ‘thing’ that we’d go out the play-offs to a team we finished two places and seven points above in the group. Ukraine don’t terrify me but they are decent and if they come out the hat first, it removes Russia and leaves us with a 50/50 chance of Italy or Portugal in the final. So from that perspective, no thanks.

I still think our chances lie in the draw. Poland at Hampden, then Italy or Czechs away is a huge task. Almost definitely not happening. Turkey first then Wales/Austria or Sweden/Ukraine on the other hand at Hampden is very doable.

Who could Scotland draw in this thing next week?

I like Hampden for a day/night oot but if Portugal came then you're buying a ticket to sit in Hampden in the middle of winter to at least see Ronaldo who's one of the greatest players in the world.

I'm not sure watching North Macedonia in winter's much of a selling point.

We'll see what happens I guess...

Edited by come on shire

10 minutes ago, come on shire said:

I like Hampden for a day/night oot but if Portugal came then you're buying a ticket to sit in Hampden in the middle of winter to at least see Ronaldo who's one of the greatest players in the world.

I'm not sure watching North Macedonia in -5C is much of a selling point.

Well seen as the games take place in march next year I'd doubt it being -5c and it's naw exactly middle of winter. 

Edited by Gmfc 23

If SC is brave for the semi and has the players fit to turn out a team like on Tue night which was solid at the back, dynamic and showed real confidence and movement it will take dropping some players like McTominay & Dykes who he relies upon. Looking at the semi final list we have the chance to outplay all those teams and take the game to them. For a final depending on opposition perhaps Dykes is the kind of guy we need against an Italy or Portugal just to get in about the defenders and we try shitfest the game - much like England at the Euros.

While the draw itself is highly critical, so is the choices for team selection, personnel and tactics tailored against the opposition.

It would sum up the luck of the nation to get 'easier' games drawn then have a Covid outbreak robbing us of everyone key.

17 minutes ago, come on shire said:

I don't think this Scottish football thing is for you, sir. 

Edited by Stoo61

I think a big part of the reason why Patrik Schick single handedly destroyed us in the euros was that we missed Kieran Tierney’s organisation in the back 3. I’d expect our first choice defence to do a job on him. 

It’s no coincidence that when Tierney was fit four days later (and McTominay moved to his rightful place in the back three), a much better striker in Harry Kane was borderline anonymous. 

Edited by Donathan

42 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Just to confirm, you would like Scotland to play harder teams as long as it's a wee bit warmer and you might see better players?

Edited by Gaz