WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

1 hour ago, monthefife said:

As it stands;

1 A 23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Portugal  8 5 2 1 17 6 +11 17 Seeded in semi-final draw
2 F 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland  8 5 2 1 14 7 +7 17
3 C 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy  8 4 4 0 13 2 +11 16
4 H 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia  8 5 1 2 14 5 +9 16
5 B 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden  8 5 0 3 12 6 +6 15
6 I 23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Poland 8 4 2 2 18 10 +8 14
7 E 23px-Flag_of_Wales.svg.png Wales  7 4 2 1 13 8 +5 14 Unseeded in semi-final draw
8 J 23px-Flag_of_North_Macedonia.svg.png North Macedonia  8 3 3 2 14 11 +3 12
9 G 23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Turkey 7 3 3 1 16 15 +1 12
10 D 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland 7 3 2 2 10 8 +2 11

Key fixtures tonight for teams in bold

Belgium vs Wales - (Must win/draw to have a chance of making it as seeded team).  

Bosnia vs Ukraine - (Must win to have chance of replacing Finland as unseeded team should they lose to France).

Finland vs France - (Must match Ukraine to remain unseeded). 

Montenegro vs Turkey - (Must win to go seeded. Must match Norway to remain unseeded).  

Netherland vs Norway - (Must win and Turkey draw/lose to make seeded. Must draw and Turkey lose to replace Turkey as unseeded). 

I’m sure if Norway win and Turkey drop points then Norway will qualify directly, rather than being seeded in the playoffs 

At the moment, let's just enjoy the ride. We're still in, it might all go pear-shaped, as usual, in the spring, but that isn't yet. And we're looking set up for an encouraging Euro 24 qualifying campaign as long as there's no nightmare draw.

Let's enjoy wursels. We've still got the U21s and Women's teams to cheer on meantime.

Just now, monthefife said:

Don't know if I'd rather we have Wales as seeded or unseeded. Seeded possibly. I think we would take them home or away in a potential final. 

I’d back us at home against any of the unseeded teams so rather the Welsh grab a seeded spot so we can potentially play them in the final 

19 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’d back us at home against any of the unseeded teams so rather the Welsh grab a seeded spot so we can potentially play them in the final 

I really don’t want to have to play the Welsh at all. Been a bit of a bogey team for us in recent years. They also either seem to play really well and win comfortably or play really badly but still manage to grind out a result. 

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I really don’t want to have to play the Welsh at all. Been a bit of a bogey team for us in recent years. They also either seem to play really well and win comfortably or play really badly but still manage to grind out a result. 

This, I hope to swerve them entirely. Do not like playing them at all.

10 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Beating the Czechs whilst being down to 10 men was criminal 

13 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

This, I hope to swerve them entirely. Do not like playing them at all.

Don't like playing them but would take them in the final given the likely alternatives would probably include Portugal and Italy. Especially if we could get them at Hampden.

Edited by Small Bovine Maisonette

Finland are finish.

We should annex and proclaim dominion over Sicily and the Algarve so we don't get drawn in Italy or Portugal's section for political reasons. A bit like how Russia and Ukraine will avoid each other.

2 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Seeded
Portugal
Scotland
Italy
Russia
Sweden
Wales

Unseeded
Poland
Turkey
North Macedonia
Ukraine
Czech Republic
Austria

So, 20% chance of drawing Ukraine, 16% chance of drawing each of the others by my calculations.

Would like to avoid Poland and Czech Republic in first round. Anyone but Portugal and Italy at home if we get through, please.