WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

image.png.f69706cf9c24926649e440593a12a2bb.png

Not of that much use but we'll end the night somewhere in the middle of these two case if my calculators done the numbers right. ^_^ It does  however show that a draw in all likelihood isn't going to help us unless most of the other results go our way.

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
12 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:
Gross hyperbole in P&B shocker?  

And it makes the forum a worse experience when folk can spout nonsense then backpedal with "I was just exaggerating".

Don't you worry sonny jim. I wasn't exaggerating. They really are that bad. 

15 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

image.png.f69706cf9c24926649e440593a12a2bb.png

Not of that much use but we'll end the night somewhere in the middle of these two case if my calculators done the numbers right. ^_^ It does  however show that a draw in all likelihood isn't going to help us unless most of the other results go our way.

A draw is fine as long as Belgium beat Wales or Hungary beat Poland [Provided that the Netherlands don’t lose to Norway and Montenegro avoid a 4 goal gubbing by Turkey). The latter is pretty unlikely but the former is eminently possible.

I think it’s 50/50 whether we’d be seeded if it’s a draw tonight. 

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Robbo, McGinn, Gilmour, Hendry, McTominay, O'Donnell, Adams and Nisbet.

Certainly some you wouldn't want to lose

Well McTominay isn't playing anyway so that's irrelevant. Couldn't really care less if Nisbet is suspended either as he's very unlikely to start either tonight or in the playoffs.

O'Donnell is probably 2nd choice to Paterson these days anyway.

I'd rather not lose any of the others but Hendry would just be replaced by McTominay anyway and Adams isn't that vital. As good as they are, Robertson and Gilmour aren't completely irreplaceable as long as Jack is fit and presumably Tierney would move out left and Hanley / Cooper / McKenna slot into centre back.

McGinn's the most irreplaceable.

20 minutes ago, Donathan said:

A draw is fine as long as Belgium beat Wales or Hungary beat Poland [Provided that the Netherlands don’t lose to Norway and Montenegro avoid a 4 goal gubbing by Turkey). The latter is pretty unlikely but the former is eminently possible.

I think it’s 50/50 whether we’d be seeded if it’s a draw tonight. 

I'm not sure where the optimism is that Hungary might beat Poland comes from. I know they stole a point at Wembley but I've seen nothing from the serial racists to suggest they are capable of taking anything from Poland. If we're going to be seeded with a point we need Belgium to win and the Dutch group to come good.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not sure where the optimism is that Hungary might beat Poland comes from. I know they stole a point at Wembley but I've seen nothing from the serial racists to suggest they are capable of taking anything from Poland. If we're going to be seeded with a point we need Belgium to win and the Dutch group to come good.

Wales are a stubborn wee team so wouldn't surprise me one bit if they take something of Belgium.

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Oh the Hungary scenario is highly unlikely. Much more likely that Wales lose, IMO. I shared the Paddy Power odds earlier and it has Belgium as a 42% chance of winning whereas Hungary 17%.

30 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Based purely on the Euros (albeit they had two of their games at home), Hungary looked like a better team than Poland, and they got a draw at Wembley last month. Basically losing the double header against Albania has done them over in this group, but I'm not sure they're much different from Poland - they drew 3-3 in Budapest.

1 minute ago, Connor7 said:

Do Wales need a result tonight to guarantee a play off spot?

No, they may lose second place to the Czechs if they are beaten, but they’d then get in through the nations league. Whoever misses out on 2nd in that group will get the UNL spot alongside Austria. 

24 minutes ago, immcinto said:

Betfair:
Belgium Win 2.37 (42%)

Hungary Win 6.5 (15%)

Turkey win by more than 3 goals. 20(5%)

Overall chance of seeding with a Denmark Draw = 52%.

Netherlands result doesn't matter.

Isn’t there a scenario where Norway come second and are on net 15 points?